User Tag List

Page 5 of 146 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you cooking for dinner this weekend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default amerliN

Thanks for the Spanish wine info. I have a pretty good handle on French and Cali wines.

I have been picking my wine salesman's brain regarding Spanish vins, and he echoed your
    tempranillo call. Good bargins in the Spanish aisle of your local spirits shop. Old vines.

Yum.

Hans

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Thanks for the recipe Shino I'll make that this week. That's a no-brainer dinner :)
    My mom would always add dill. Try blanched green beans, dill, and white balsamic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had this spanish wine called "protocolo" recently. Cheap. Tasty.

Cooking wise, this weekend I did up a couple of chickens on the rotisserie. Brined the bird for a couple of hours in a mix of hawaiian sea salt and brown sugar. Coated the cavity with a mix of garlic, ginger, salt and pepper. Shoved sprigs of rosemary under the skin. Two scored up lemons into the cavity. Turn on the spit for an hour and fifteen minutes over medium indirect heat. Let cool. eat. yum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RIHans View Post
    Thanks for the Spanish wine info. I have a pretty good handle on French and Cali wines.

I have been picking my wine salesman's brain regarding Spanish vins, and he echoed your
    tempranillo call. Good bargins in the Spanish aisle of your local spirits shop. Old vines.

Yum.

Hans
    Check out Bodegas El Nido Clio 2003 through 2005. A blend of 70% Montastrell(65 year old vines) and 30% Cab(35 year old vines). Outstanding red served with a big juicey rib eye steak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sweet Corn & Tomatoes

Garden fresh: sweet corn fritters all puffy and light
    Corn, separate a couple eggs, whip the whites until stiff but not dry, bit of flour, sugar, sea salt and ground pepper. Little dollops in the electric skillet make some nice light puffy corn treats. Slice up some garden tomatoes add some greens. The bright colors and tastes: total summer for me. Memories of childhood.
    Aiming to KICK cancer's butt this time around
    Dancing with NED, raising funds for METS research

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fritters...Great stuff

Speedy Girl,

Sounds just about right,,,My mouth is watering. Thanks for the nice flavors,
    Last edited by RIHans; 09-16-2008 at 02:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Good call by maunahaole

Brining the protein is a GREAT way to add flavour, and moisture to the dish. Lean pork, and chicken are prime suspects for the brine. (I also always brine the thanksgiving turkey)

Lots of brine info online, easy on the salt...wine works well in the mix. The leaner the meat, the more they benefit from some marination.

Hans

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent, not to soon to talk about Thanksgiving.

Lots of success this week. First, Tempeh can be very good depending on what you get. The wild rice version is outstanding prepared in a hot pan with good olive oil and salt I could eat that all day. The Flax version is a dud.
    Chik n' Nuggets (soy) are outstanding and that's coming from a foodie...they are vegetarian junk food ;) On a baking sheet with a light coat of olive oil in a 400 F. It is a 10 out of 10....for junk food that is hehe. All the above got tossed ontop / with a bowtie pasta w/ pesto, feta, parm and garden cherry tomatoes. Great. Shino you are right on babe, garden burgers prepared they way you directed are very very good.

Bad news, for the past three weeks..almost four I've had almost no red meat...negligable really and can not recall being more muscle sore, lack of recovery from hard workouts and fatigue after exercise. Yes, I'm drinking soy milk and diet is better than ever and it ain't bad on a bad day!!! The difference? No red meat. FRANK!!!! Can you fly in a grill me up a fresh killed steer yo? I'm suspicous this is the problem. We shall see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Headed to the Piney River with Dad, Brother and the Moon (older brother I never had, he's worked for the family for almost 40 years now). Dinner will be ok but Sat and Sun lunch will be Goggleyes fried golden on the river bank with some potatoes and onion along side. All washed down with an ice cold beer. It is without a doubt the finest lunch a fellow could hope for. Gives me this sort of feeling, wrong video on the first this is better.
    Last edited by rydesteel; 09-18-2008 at 10:05 PM.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Excellent, not to soon to talk about Thanksgiving.
    No red meat. FRANK!!!! Can you fly in a grill me up a fresh killed steer yo? I'm suspicous this is the problem. We shall see.
    Thanksgiving dinner? Ahh.. Prime Rib. Josh this will cure the protein deficit .

1- 6lb Ribeye roast trimmed a bit.
    1cup Dijon mustard
    1 lb Kosher coarse cooking salt

Preheat oven to 500* for 1 hour
    Allow roast to sit at room temp while oven preheats. Place roast on roasting pan, coat well with mustard use more if needed, sprinkle salt over roast and cover completely (yes it's a lot of salt) make sure to use it all and more cover completely with salt. Place in oven at 500* for 1 hour, turn oven off and leave roast in oven for 1 more hour. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR, YES IT SMELLS GREAT, DON'T PEEK Remove from oven allow to rest for about 10 minutes, crack the salty crust and remove it from roast it will come off fairly easily. Slice and serve the best medium rare Prime Rib you've had :cheers:. Enjoy. Frank
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been on a carnitas kick for the last 2 years. Even got the local waiter at our favorite mexican restaurant involved. Mine rule.

Here's what I do.

Pork shoulder or boston butt rubbed with cilantro, cumin, and garlic salt. Put it in a crockpot and fill it halfway with negra modelo, a damn fine dark mexican beer. I cook mine on the lowest setting for 8-10 hours btw.

Pull the meat to a plate and divide into fist sized pieces or slightly smaller by hand... it'll fall apart. Let the meat site for an hour or so at room temperature.

Get some tortillas, refried beans, spanish rice, queso, and sliced up jalapenos ready. Fry fresh whole jalapenos if you can ( a whole different kind o' heat).

Now get a cast iron skillet on medium high heat. Cook the pork pieces just so the outside is crispy.

Plate and shred the pork for the tortillas. Man that's good eats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frank, that's an insanely wonderful method for the roast thanks and the Carnitas yummm nice work.

I've got a yen for a whole rockfish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pale scotsman View Post
    I've been on a carnitas kick for the last 2 years. Even got the local waiter at our favorite mexican restaurant involved. Mine rule.

Here's what I do.

Pork shoulder or boston butt rubbed with cilantro, cumin, and garlic salt. Put it in a crockpot and fill it halfway with negra modelo, a damn fine dark mexican beer. I cook mine on the lowest setting for 8-10 hours btw.

Pull the meat to a plate and divide into fist sized pieces or slightly smaller by hand... it'll fall apart. Let the meat site for an hour or so at room temperature.

Get some tortillas, refried beans, spanish rice, queso, and sliced up jalapenos ready. Fry fresh whole jalapenos if you can ( a whole different kind o' heat).

Now get a cast iron skillet on medium high heat. Cook the pork pieces just so the outside is crispy.

Plate and shred the pork for the tortillas. Man that's good eats.

Yum I could eat that every day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like buttah....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Killin' me. I got 6 fresh tuna steaks...nice and thick. Heated up my large LeCruset' enamel pan quite hot and used spanish olive oil w/ butter. The fish was first coated with a mix of 2/3's EVO and 1/3 white truffel oil and liberally peppered and than used PANKO bread crumbs and into the hot pan.

FAWKING AMAZING. Best tuna I've ever made...did I say that?

All went ontop of a bed of wild rice (thank you M you rock sir) and a side of fresh sliced heirloom tomatoes neat.

YUMM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too Tall that sounds terrific. Mine is a left over chunk of sashimi from a sushi party we hosted. I gave it a light coat of oil, tamari, mirin and sesame seads and threw it on my grill pan really fast. I think I like it better cooked actually.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Oh My...

TooTall said White Truffle Oil.

I used to get all hot about yer' bikes...Speedvagens n' so forth. But we're talking white truffles here. Yum.

Hans

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RIHans View Post
    TooTall said White Truffle Oil.

I used to get all hot about yer' bikes...Speedvagens n' so forth. But we're talking white truffles here. Yum.

Hans
    Aquaitaine in Boston served it drizzles over steak and frites. Yum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shinomaster View Post
    Aquaitaine in Boston served it drizzles over steak and frites. Yum.
    Bros, Wholepaycheck is selling white and black truffel oil in small tins for $17 each. The White Truff is really excellent and can't really tell with the black just whiffing it...I need to make some eggs :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)