User Tag List

Page 3 of 146 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you cooking for dinner this weekend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default more soy

Gardenburger and soy chicken nuggets. No adorably cute animals were killed to make this meal.
    Last edited by Shinomaster; 12-14-2008 at 09:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sunday will be 2" thick ribeyes, HOT HOT grill Hard sear on both sides and some time across from coals to finish, sprinkled with a bit of grey sea salt just before serving. Saffron rissoto and some late summer vegies on the side. Pots de creme and good coffee to finish. Yumm.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A forum member asked me for the source of the Saffron I buy. Here it is:
    http://www.saffron.com/

This is the good stuff. Great company to deal with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last night I sarted making dough for the Pizza's tonight. The best pizza doughs are allowed to ride overnight in the fridge. I'll be stopping on the way home for fresh mozz cheese, vegies and sausage. Sunday I'll probably fire up the smoker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Last night I sarted making dough for the Pizza's tonight. The best pizza doughs are allowed to ride overnight in the fridge. I'll be stopping on the may home for fresh mozz cheese, vegies and sausage. Sunday I'll probably fire up the smoker.
    Jon, I watch Alton Brown...the science of pizza dough is great. What I learned and was suprised to find is that gluten develops even during refrigeration! Thus, pizza dough you make and store for a week is super stretchy.

Shino., talk to me about garden burgers and soy nuggets. You have a deep frier? Looks great as usual. Help me make the leapmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Jon, I watch Alton Brown...the science of pizza dough is great. What I learned and was suprised to find is that gluten develops even during refrigeration! Thus, pizza dough you make and store for a week is super stretchy.
    Right, and the stuff left behind after fermentation is the flavor and color. It's hard to get a nice golden color without letting it rise a day or two in the fridge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a nice looking tray of pork chops at home right now. These will be grilled up, probably on Saturday. I'm thinking some sort of rosemary based bath for them prior to cooking. I have two huge rosemary plants in the yard and they both need some trimming. If anyone has a good grilled rosemary pork recipe, please pass it along. I found one that looks pretty good on the weber site.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just finished cooking and eating the following.

Vichyssoisse served on a martini glass with cherry tomatoes

Tuna tartare with avocado

Filet mignon with baby carrots, sauteed mushrooms and baby zuchini

All of this accompanied by a homebrewed IPA and later a homebrewed brown ale with the steak.

Great meal. Tomorrow will need to ride a few more miles to make up for it.

Buen provecho to all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outstanding Delpo :)

Well, my leap continues...got tempeh and garden burgers at whole paycheck this eve. Planning on spending 5 hrs. on the bike tommorrow...after that anything will be good.

For the pork chops I think simple classic is better. Make garlic rosemary butter paste. Use the broadside of a 10" chefs knife to flatten than smear the garlic across your cutting board. Do this several times until you practically cream it. Now incorporate butter and very very finely minced fresh rosemary. Pepper / salt the chops generously...I think that a substantial piece of meat needs and can take seasoning. Coat both sides wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a couple hrs. That will be yummy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do it up all gourmet Too Tall. Just like it was Kobe beef.
    Last edited by Shinomaster; 12-14-2008 at 09:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ChefShino, I've cooked these before and are so darn devoid of fat they just burn...what's your fav. method? Today I was going to use a cast iron pan with some olive oil and make a monster burger sim. to your which looks GREAT. Oh...talk to me about tempeh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    ...got tempeh and garden burgers at whole paycheck this eve....

"whole paycheck", hehehe :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chef TT, the best way to cook these soy creations is in a hot nonstick pan with a bit of oil and black pepper. If you over cook them they dry out and get kinda gross. Do it fast, remember they just need to be heated through. The best ones for mock beef are the Gardenburger American Burger, Boca, and the Morningstar Grillers Prime. The Morning Star has the highest fat content. If you put enough cheese and condiments on the Morningstar burgers you could probably fool most people into thinking it's a fast food burger--especially dumb kids. We also buy the soy chick products like the spicy buffalo wings and chick patties. The breaded ones do best in the oven, bakes along side of your favorite taters and such.
    Another interesting product and possibly the most like chicken is Quorn from the UK. It's made of fungus. We use the Quorn chicken chunks in stir-fry. It's quite good. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quorn

P.S. I don't eat Tempeh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the tip. Why no tempeh...it couldn't be becuase the stuff has a consistency of cardboard????

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rice and boiled hamburger, with my dog on Monday :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pork Chops: Salt and pepper rub, then light baste of my friend's dad's homestyle BBQ sauce. Grill...

Flank Steak: Marinade for a while in a mix of soy sauce, mae ploy (thai sweet hot chili sauce), ginger, garlic, black pepper and sesame oil. Grill...

Potatoes: Quartered red potatoes stirred around in a bowl with fresh rosemary, salt, pepper and olive oil. Grill... This is a work in progress - I made it again, but with a LOT more rosemary, and it was better. I have two big plants in the yard, so experimenting is easy.

Sweet corn on the grill.

Grilled asparagus and mushrooms - mixed into a fresh tomato salad...sorta like a bruscetta, I guess. My friend made it, it was all sorts of good.

Beer beer and more beer.

I burned some propane this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lately I've been mixing up a green Foosy (2.5yr-old for smoothie) to put on my muesli instead of the Unsweetened Silk I normally drink.

First blend (to grind) 1/3-1/2 cup brown flax seed then add:
    3-4 fresh Kale leaves
    1-2 Bananas (fair-trade of course)
    3 or 4 Peaches (any fresh fruit works, but we're still working on the last bushel that didn't get frozen).
    a handful (about a cup) of frozen mixed berries--sweetens just a touch and helps to get my daughter to drink it.
    2 cups water

Sometimes I add a handful of wheat grass, some raw wheat germ, etc etc. And like the bikes we all love/ride this tastes better if it's all organic, fair-trade, and local because it puts a smile on your face to shake the farmers hand that grew it : )
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rack 'o lamb

Yuuummmm

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Josh,

I made the canteloupe sauce with black pepper tagliatelle. Yumm! I did a take off from your recipe - creme fraiche rather than heavy cream or regular sour cream. Worked great!

Second course: grilled gulf coast wild shrimp and giant sea scallops marinated briefly in lemon, olive oil, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper served on steamed rainbow chard from the farmers market.

But before that was lunch after the tandem ride, with a few desert options!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jason, that's a huge amt. of flax bro.? You kids are going to grow as tall as me!!! Kudos.

Greg. We have a S.American version of Gelatto that rivals any Italian style...it was a revelation to me. More emphasis on fruit solids...yumm. Hey, try the cantelope reciped with Sour Creme...I did it on a hunch.

Shino - the garden burgers must have a ton of carmelized onion in them :( Tasted good but I just am lacking some whacko enzyme to deal with it....burp.