User Tag List

Page 26 of 146 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you cooking for dinner this weekend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What are you cooking for dinner this weekend?

OK - I got signed up to do a 4th of July all-amurican type deal. I'm mildly constrained because some of the people can't deal with peppers. I'm thinking burgers, dogs with kraut (a local kielbasa, actually - my dad's a Polack so there isn't anything more 'murican than those), clams on the grill, potato salad, corn on the cob... what else? Besides beer. Lots and lots of beer.

Oh yeah, you want to make really good toasted marshmallows? Butter them first. I swear, I am not making that up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    OK - I got signed up to do a 4th of July all-amurican type deal. I'm mildly constrained because some of the people can't deal with peppers. I'm thinking burgers, dogs with kraut (a local kielbasa, actually - my dad's a Polack so there isn't anything more 'murican than those), clams on the grill, potato salad, corn on the cob... what else? Besides beer. Lots and lots of beer.

Oh yeah, you want to make really good toasted marshmallows? Butter them first. I swear, I am not making that up.
    Simmer those kielbasas in beer first, don't tell you dad ;)

How about watermelon and corn on the cob cooked over the grill in the husk? Soak the corn in water first. Cooked in the husk makes a crazy good taste. Shoot it's the 4th of july there is a law against getting too fancy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PICTURES and words about 4ht of July fodd. Let's see what you got!!!

I'll post pics later. First are pics of pickles made yesterday.
    These are basic dills done as follows:
    1. Wash and soak for at least 2 hrs. blemish free cucumbers in ice water.
    2. Prepare jars by sterilizing than add one whole garlic clove, a few white and black pepper corns, a few corrianders and a sprig of dill.
    3. Bring to a boil 1:1 mixture of white vinegar and water + some salt
    4. pack dry / cold cucumbers into jars...dont' smash them in there yo. add one more clove of garlic and another dill to top
    5. fill jars with hot brine, wipe jar edges and add one top and lid...close the lids but don't make them tight...just snug.
    6. place jars in a boiling water bath and cover pot and process for about 10 mins. remove jars and make sure they all seal (jar lids have dimples that will pop in when a proper vaccum is achieved)
    7. They will be ready in about 4-6 weeks.

*I usually make one or two jars with one whole habanero to make slices with. Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    pickles.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kept it pretty simple as we are more engaged in house projects. Grilled up some pork chops and took another crack at grilling cactus while I had the fire going. Took a few paddles from the plant, scored them, brushed with some olive oil and about 7 minutes per side on medium heat. Just enough to get them sweating out some juice and deslimed a little. I also picked younger/newer/thinner paddles off of the plant. Ground up some sea salt on them once they came off the fire. MMM good. This one has some potential. No pics. I was cooking. Maybe next time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grilled scallops with lightly sauteed chopped fresh basil and garlic on a bed of quinoa, fresh swiss chard with some stellar basalmic vinegar drizzled over it. Great dinner to close out a wonderful long weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The frost is now out of the ground here in the Northland and the fresh produce is starting to trickle in.

Started by baking some fresh bread.

IMG_0018.jpg

Then grabbed some tomatoes, basil, garlic, oil, salt, and pepper.

IMG_0019.jpg IMG_0020.jpg

Served the fresh bruschetta on our backyard picnic table after a thunderstorm with a French white and shrimp skewers off the grill.

IMG_0021.jpg

Happy summer!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got some fish tacos on tap for sometime this week. I made a salsa yesterday with mango, grilled cactus, sweet onion, lime juice, cilantro, jalapeno and tomato. Early sampling is pretty good. The mango and cactus work well together both in flavor and texture. This should be really good with some grilled fish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The wife made a asparagus/cheese on puff pastry crust thing, which was really good.

Rotisserie Leg of Lamb.

http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=M4H00480.mp4

Then some shrimp from the farm on the north shore

that didnt last long...

Good beer, good friends, and good food made for a good night.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you adopt? Gorgeous cooking as always my friend. Thanks for the pics.
    I've been on a corn tortilla jag. Fish to be sure ;)
    If anyone is willing to give me a primer on how to handmake corn tortillas fire away.
    It is impossible to make a bad one but when it's right...oh my it's right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TT - you know the door is always open for you & the Queen. Make the call, the room will be ready. Made corn tortillas with the fam many years ago. You will need a press and the Masa Harina flour. Follow the recipe on the bag. It is super easy and fully inside your extensive cooking skill set.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Do you adopt? Gorgeous cooking as always my friend. Thanks for the pics.
    +1 I'll clean my room.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shino, you can come along too, but you are required to bring your girlfriend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heirloom tomatoe time...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Summer is over, and I can't believe it. Our pathetic tomato crop continues to disappoint. Earlier this year, my girlfriend found an almost new Atlas pasta maker, in a box by the side of the road in a free pile! What a score! I had been pricing these last fall as a possible gift for us. It's worth almost $100.
    I raced yesterday and of course I was hungry and wanted to pig out for dinner. My dough master girlie friend suggested we bust out the pasta maker. Reluctantly, I agreed as I was tired and and feeling lazy. I grew up making noodles with my mother on the exact same pasta maker. Once we got the dough dry enough it was a breeze to roll out and cut the noodles. We hung them to dry out a bit as I sauteed some garlic and chopped tomatoes in salt and olive oil. The noodles cooked almost immediately and perhaps got a bit soft after I threw them in the pan with all of the tomatoes, but holy effin cow, they were delicious. They had the most delicate texture and our tomatoes weren't half bad. The flavor was sublime. Eggs and flour is all that you need to make noodles, as well as a free pasta maker :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice. Shino, as always cooking up something tasty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about some seven layer dip?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doing up the rotisserie leg of lamb again tonight. I am tying and skewering once I get home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Eggplant Gruyere

It was going to be Eggplant Parmesan but I forgot to buy Parmesan so I used the Gruyère I had in my fridge. Thomas Keller's Oven Roasted Tomato sauce from Ad Hoc At Home made the night before. Made in VT Mozzarella. Slice the eggplant thin, eggwash, seasoned panko, fry them up in Tallow. Layers of Eggplant Sauce mozzarella Gruyère Eggplant Sauce Mozzarella Gruyère Eggplant Mozzarella. 375degrees for 1/2 hr and then set the oven to broil untill the cheese is lovely golden brown. It's hard but let it cool for at least 10 mins unless you want to burn the inside of your mouth.

Eggplant Parm 10-08-10 resize 006.jpgEggplant Parm 10-08-10 resize 005.jpg Eggplant Parm 10-08-10 resize 003.jpgEggplant Parm 10-08-10 resize 004.jpgEggplant Parm 10-08-10 resize 001.jpg
    "Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride"
    -H.S.T.

"Convenience can take over, it can be distracting, and it can make you lazy."
    -Grant Peterson

Adventures in Food and Eating

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shinomaster View Post
    The noodles cooked almost immediately and perhaps got a bit soft after I threw them in the pan with all of the tomatoes, but holy effin cow, they were delicious. They had the most delicate texture and our tomatoes weren't half bad. The flavor was sublime. Eggs and flour is all that you need to make noodles, as well as a free pasta maker :)
    homemade noodles are the only way to go. Once you go there you will never buy a box of them. 100grams of flour for each egg and one egg per person eating has always been a foolproof recipe for me. Works every time. You can do it with no pasta roller if you have forearms like and Italian grandma and a good rolling pin. It's a huge pain in the ass though. Looks outstanding with fresh tomatoes and garlic the way you did it up. cheers.
    "Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride"
    -H.S.T.

"Convenience can take over, it can be distracting, and it can make you lazy."
    -Grant Peterson

Adventures in Food and Eating

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HSTFixed View Post
    homemade noodles are the only way to go. Once you go there you will never buy a box of them. 100grams of flour for each egg and one egg per person eating has always been a foolproof recipe for me. Works every time. You can do it with no pasta roller if you have forearms like and Italian grandma and a good rolling pin. It's a huge pain in the ass though. Looks outstanding with fresh tomatoes and garlic the way you did it up. cheers.

Thanks! That recipe tip sounds good, and that eggplant looks killer!