User Tag List

Page 21 of 146 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you cooking for dinner this weekend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

T.F. no offense that's a mean looking wok of something tasty but it ain't chili!!!! I SEE A BEAN!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    T.F. no offense that's a mean looking wok of something tasty but it ain't chili!!!! I SEE A BEAN!!!
    30 oz of beans in there TT. not appropriate for consumption on a school night if you catch my "drift."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by turd ferguson View Post
    30 oz of beans in there TT. not appropriate for consumption on a school night if you catch my "drift."
    Just teasing you boss. My interpretation of chili was learned from losing MANY chili cookoffs against straight off the ranch westerners. I learned the hard way. Make it simple, make it hotternhe!! and red beans on the side. I'll try putting together the recipe for you this week. Hmmm, it's soup and chili season. Good call T.F.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just teasing you boss. My interpretation of chili was learned from losing MANY chili cookoffs against straight off the ranch westerners. I learned the hard way. Make it simple, make it hotternhe!! and red beans on the side. I'll try putting together the recipe for you this week. Hmmm, it's soup and chili season. Good call T.F.
    You owe me a recipe so I'm waiting. beans on the side eh? never occurred to me, course I've never been out west or on a ranch...

I'm looking for a good recipe with chunks of beef in it rather than ground beef so if you have one, post or pm it please!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been here over a year now. Just picked up a standard, hooded bbq. Had the neighbors over the other night.

Starters:
    Zucchini rounds stuffed with mushrooms and bacon
    Prawns on rosemary skewers basted with butter and garlic, served with mango chunks
    Roasted garlic and crackers

Dinner
    Roasted root veggies w/onion and thyme
    Grilled broccoli and cauliflower with red peppers and garlic
    Leg of lamb. (Marinade: red wine, mint, rosemary, garlic, same baste as the shrimp)

Dessert
    yogurt cheese (lemon zest and rose water...only a touch of sugar) with chopped strawberries and shortbread.

Wine
    An Argentinean chardonnay and an Australian Pino Grigio... we had some reds in the house, but for some reason we stuck with the whites.

No photos, my hands were too messy from the bbq to handle the camera

The rosemary skewer trick it tops. Anyone else molest their rosemary plants for grilling?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bowl of Red Chili (NO Pete it's not what you think!!!)

This is a recipe that has been around since forever. It is straight up chuckwagon chili. Working cowboys served it with red beans on the side. Use a heavy cast iron pot or equiv. for best simmer.

Cook your red beans simple with a little olive oil and salt to finish nothing fancy. A ladle of chili and a ladle of red beans on a plate, BOO YAH it don't get no better. I've got sources for outtasight N.Mexico chili if anyone wants it. Alter this in anyway and it will suk. Trust me, keep it pure and simple. *There are not "secret" ingrediants. This is a pure old school recipe.

Bowl of Red
    (6 to 8 servings)

6 to 12 dried ancho chilies, or 6 to 12 tablespoons ground chili powder
    3 pounds lean beef cut into chunks
    Cooking oil as needed
    1/8 pound beef kidney suet or bacon fat
    1 teaspoon oregano powder (the BEST are dried whole oregano sold in the "mexican" aisles....looks terrible and has a wonderful strong flavor...get it)
    1 tablespoon cumin seeds, crushed (and toasted you fool!!!)
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper (don't substitute this has the right bite)
    1 or 2 use habeneros diced
    2 or more cloves garlic, chopped
    2 tablespoons masa harina

If you're using whole dried peppers, wash them and remove the stems and seeds. (Don't touch your eyes during this operation, and wash your hands thoroughly afterward.) Boil the pods in water to cover for about 30 minutes or until the skins can be removed. Then grind, chop or run through a colander the remaining skinless, seedless, stemless pods. Reserve the peppery water to use for liquid in the chili. (Doing this yields the best flavor)

In heavy cast iron sear the beef in oil until it is gray in color not browned. To a large pot, add the beef, rendered suet, if using, add ground or chopped chili pepper pods (or ground red chili pepper, if using). *Add water and/or the peppery cooking liquid to a depth that covers the beef by about 2 inches. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. *This ain't rocket science.

Remove from the heat and add the oregano, cumin, salt, cayenne pepper, hot pepper sauce and garlic. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 45 minutes, keeping the lid on as much as possible. Stir only if necessary. Add more water or the peppery cooking liquid only if the mixture would burn otherwise. *Don't let it boil or burn pls.

Remove from the heat and skim any accumulated fat. If desired, thicken with 2 tablespoons masa harina, first mixing it with water. Return to the heat and simmer for another 30 minutes, or until the meat is done. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.

Serve with red beans on the side and for g-d sakes make it hotternhe!! becuase anyone worth your time should love it that way!!!!

Enjoy, Josh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll have to try that chili TT, thanks...

Tonight, we celebrated the conclusion of our family's 7 day battle against swine flu with pork chops over a blackberry sauce. The chops are rubbed with dried sage, thyme, salt and pepper and then cooked 5x2 in melted butter and olive oil in a covered pan. Remove chops to warmed oven and add seedless blackberry jelly (any seedless jelly will do), orange juice and white wine vinegar to pan, boil and thicken for 2 minutes. Spoon onto plate and top with chop, garnish w/fresh thyme. The jasmin rice isn't creative but is my wife's favorite and cooks almost as fast as minute rice. Steamed zucchini equally boring but fast and the kids eat it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turd that looks delicious. Did you get sick too?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shinomaster View Post
    Turd that looks delicious. Did you get sick too?
    thanks shino, it was great.

all 4 of us were sick. The kids were sick last weekend with some carryover into this past week, the wife and I got hit mid week and we are still rollercoastering with it. We'll feel better for a while then start to ache again and heat up. Thursday and yesterday were brutal...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bummer man, not what you wanted for cx season I'm sure. Hope you feel better soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

T.F. bonus points for the quick sauce. Hey FWIIW I've won the battle over quick cooking grains vs the good stuff. I use a hojirushi rice cooker. Set it, forget it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

T.F. bonus points for the quick sauce. Hey FWIIW I've won the battle over quick cooking grains vs the good stuff. I use a hojirushi rice cooker. Set it, forget it.
    we were considering a rice cooker but we are really good at making it because we eat it so often that's money I can spend on tires. Timing saucepan rice to finish with the rest of the meal is second nature now.

This jasmin rice is super easy: bring 2 parts water to boil, add 1 part rice, reduce to simmer and in 15 minutes you're done. It isn't bad, just not very exotic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default bowl o red

Too Tall's recipe should be very good...however this is the easiest way for a rookie to get it right. Buy some beef, cube it, saute it, add the Wick Fowler's and forget about it.

http://www.luzianne.com/wick-fowlers...-p-1710.html?=

And just remember never cook the beans in the chili.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pats-Indy

The showdown...
    I had to have a beer and a pizza...

Go Pats!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legit :) That looks killer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bought half an organic lamb at the organic market Sunday.
    Pre kebab, put some of the cubed forequarters to marinate in red wine, olive oil, bay, garlic and oregano when I got home.
    Then made baba with roasted garlic and mint, and a white bean hummous followed by beet salad with OJ and garlic-scape dressing,
    Standard grilled veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, potato, onion, carrots)
    Neighbors brought a couple nice wines and a lovely cheese.

No photos. The photographer was cooking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=.
    Then made baba with roasted garlic and mint, and a white bean hummous followed by beet salad with OJ and garlic-scape dressing,
    Standard grilled veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, potato, onion, carrots)
    Neighbors brought a couple nice wines and a lovely cheese.

No photos. The photographer was cooking.[/QUOTE]

Ginger making Baba...I bet it was very good!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I guess I can throw this one in:
    crawfish étouffée on saturday. the real thing, not no Cleveland pale imitation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
    I guess I can throw this one in:
    crawfish étouffée on saturday. the real thing, not no Cleveland pale imitation.
    Drop and gimme 10! No pics, no recipes??? COME ON!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The grill got a workout this past weekend. Saturday night, the grilling crew came over and we ran stuff over the heat for a while. There were some oysters, then some grilled squid with a really nice miso-ginger dipping sauce. Some sweet corn made it on there as well. I did up some boneless pork loin chops that we cut up and dipped in the Tom Kellogg Carolina Mop Sauce. The chops were a hit, due mainly to the sauce. Some salmon steaks found their way to the grill - done simply - garlic salt pepper and lemon. We also made up a grilled veg salad with cactus, maui onion, feta and asparagus - the latest attempt in the ongoing cactus experiment. This all got washed down with Sapporo, Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA, Thunderhead IPA and Sam Adams. Last night the wife wanted something grilled, but not leftovers, so I did some swordfish fillets, just grilled with salt and pepper, with a lemon wedge on the plate. Backed up with some green salad. Light but a nice sunday night dinner. She is a little bit timid on seafood still, but getting better. She likes swordfish now.