User Tag List

Page 17 of 146 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you cooking for dinner this weekend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please share the coffee with Doreen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TT

how did this turn out? this looks like an excellent option for a $20 meal.

k

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Ultimate Fast Good Eats
    (from the W.Post today)
    I'm running home to make this. I've got a pint of the ultimate creme cheese / salmon spread from my home delivery dairy that will substitute. Talk about no brainer
    =============
    Tagliatelle with smoked salmon

1 tsp. butter
    1/4 onion fine chop
    1/2 c. creme fraiche
    1 - 2 tbl spoons white wine
    1/3 to 1/2 lb sliced smoke salmon
    1 1/4 lb tagliatelle
    course grnd bl. pepper

start salted water melt butter in skillet add onion after 1 min. add creme fraiche, wine to taste and 1/2 smoked salmon cook 2 more mins remove frm heat.

Cook pasta al dente drain return to pot. add salmon sauce from skillet + remaining smoked salmon + generous cracked pepper, toss and serve.

*I'd garnish with fresh herbs. This would go nice with a cress salad mmm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gt6267a View Post
    TT

how did this turn out? this looks like an excellent option for a $20 meal.

k
    It's so easy and so freakin' good now I keep a vaccum pack of smoked salmon in my fridge always. All I need are creme fresh or fake it and I've got winner winner smoked salmon dinner. *Note it ain't easy finding proper tagliatelle...I try to keep that on hand too. Am partial to the stuff with cracked pepper in it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
    Fresh mozzarella cheese and olive oil with cloves of garlic, fresh basil, tomatoes, peppers and onions. Bit of oregano, thyme and black pepper.
    Oh. Mah. Gawd.

That looks so much better than the poptarts I ate for breakfast...

I need to learn how to make good pizza. Did you make the dough as well?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last night i ate a can of veggie noodle soup. I didn't feel like using any dishes so I just drank it out of the can at room temp.
    we are about to break the surly bonds of gravity and punch the face of God!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
    Oh. Mah. Gawd.

That looks so much better than the poptarts I ate for breakfast...

I need to learn how to make good pizza. Did you make the dough as well?
    PopTarts??

It's pretty easy to do though it's taken me a long time to sort out the baking. This time I took a short cut and used frozen pizza dough to get it together faster. Baked the crust most of the way on the screen & pulled it. Was actually a day later before I made the pizza. Brushed the crust with more olive oil, added the fresh mozza (goat cheese it a nice one too), do a quick micro on the garlic/peppers/onions to soften them up for a faster bake. Fresh sliced tomotoes, anchovies, fresh basil leaves, etc. High heat for a short time in the oven. We were so focused on eating it that it was when we came back for more that I had to take the pic ; )
    Aiming to KICK cancer's butt this time around
    Dancing with NED, raising funds for METS research

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by acotts View Post
    Last night i ate a can of veggie noodle soup. I didn't feel like using any dishes so I just drank it out of the can at room temp.
    Sorta like camping? Baked beans outta the can this eve?
    Aiming to KICK cancer's butt this time around
    Dancing with NED, raising funds for METS research

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
    PopTarts??

It's pretty easy to do though it's taken me a long time to sort out the baking. This time I took a short cut and used frozen pizza dough to get it together faster. Baked the crust most of the way on the screen & pulled it. Was actually a day later before I made the pizza. Brushed the crust with more olive oil, added the fresh mozza (goat cheese it a nice one too), do a quick micro on the garlic/peppers/onions to soften them up for a faster bake. Fresh sliced tomotoes, anchovies, fresh basil leaves, etc. High heat for a short time in the oven. We were so focused on eating it that it was when we came back for more that I had to take the pic ; )

Yeah, poptarts are my ride fuel. I normally eat one pre and/or post race. If I'm going for a long ride, I'll eat one or two during the ride. Keeps me going. I've gone through about 40 of them this summer. Maybe more. And I wonder why I'm gaining weight :(

I ran outta milk and didn't have the chance to run to the store. I'll do that on the way back from a training crit. Need some stuff to make lunch sandwiches, and some veggies to make more chicken with veggies stuff.

I do want to make that pizza soon. I think I'll need something to put the dough on in the oven. I'm moving in a week and a half, so I'll worry about it once I move into the dorms. Yuck...

I need to drop 8-10 pounds in 6 weeks. Time to start eating really healthy again. Boo!

My lunch today was nice though.

2 sliced of multi grain bread.
    1 tin of tuna mixed with a bunch of salsa and some shredded cheese.

I snuck in some pretzels too.

The tuna salsa was actually pretty good. I need to make it more often as a snack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are here for you. Knucklehead ;)

Re-made the summer salad for Queen's din din using tomatos from outside the kitchen + some high end canned tuna. Corn was cut off the cob and tossed into a hot cast iron pan with salt. Everything is tossed thru with some olive oil and really earthy mexican oregano. Plated and drizzled with really good olive oil on a wedge of cold iceberg lettuce. I'm told it's pretty good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the inspiration TT. I actually ate a hot meal last night. 3 corn tortillas, a can of beans and Tapatio sauce. Then a handful of Cinamon Toast Crunch for dessert.

Luckily it was paired with a fantastic red.

Oddly I pulled this pic from the inter-tubes. Other than the lime, it was my exact meal. (oh, and the tortillas were nuked, not fried.)

P.S. i also ate a face full of dirt on my MTN bike earlier in the afternoon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    we are about to break the surly bonds of gravity and punch the face of God!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cuban Black Beans ala TT

Thanks for the inspiration TT. I actually ate a hot meal last night. 3 corn tortillas, a can of beans and Tapatio sauce. Then a handful of Cinamon Toast Crunch for dessert.

Luckily it was paired with a fantastic red.

Oddly I pulled this pic from the inter-tubes. Other than the lime, it was my exact meal. (oh, and the tortillas were nuked, not fried.)

P.S. i also ate a face full of dirt on my MTN bike earlier in the afternoon.
    Tapatios will do. I'm fond of cheap vinegary hot sauces.

Lemme give you a recipe for cuban black beans you can make this weekend. Freeze in batch portions. This will not suck, ask my Spring Camp attendees (oooo early shillin' is never early enough yo).

Cuban Black Beans

You can use canned black beans, this comes out 90% as good as cooking from scratch just rinse well before use.

1. 1 lb of black beans (sorted for stones and debris) You do not have to soak these before however it helps. Cook over med. heat until soft.
    2. In a large NO HUGE skillet cook rough cut sweet onions. It's nice to mix in some red onions for depth of flavor. Use 2 large onions and one entire hand of garlic minced fine. Saute until transparent with lots of good olive oil. I use spanish olive oil it has great flavor. Be generous with the oil.
    3. When the garlic and onions are close to finished add 1/2 cup of good quality oregano. Don't use that NASTY old jar of dust your roommate left! Stir to combine.
    4. I said use a huge skillet right? Now add the beans. Only add enough of the bean water so that the beans cook and do not burn. Slowly add more olive oil and stir. You will add a total of about 1 cup of olive oil...stir and add..stir and add over the next 20 mins. The beans will start to get a creamy texture and you are close to done. *taste and adjust for salt now.
    5. Once the smell is driving you wild add 1/4 cup of black pepper. Don't cheap out here!!! Use the good stuff.

There you go. Great over rice + cilantro and some wicked hot thai red chili sauce.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm trying to cut 5-10 lbs before a stage race next month. This thread hurts.

I think I'm going to try TT's black bean recipe soon.

I went shopping last night and bought some green beans, green/red bell peppers, potatoes, green/yellow squash, and mushrooms. I have chicken.

I need to figure out what to make now.

I was thinking of cooking the beans with potatoes, and then making the squash, peppers, and mushrooms with chicken. I'll take pictures this time.

If I have anything left over, I'll fire up the grill on sunday after a big race and sit back with the first beer of the week and grill!!!

Also, this website has some really good recipes.

Check it out. I want to try a ton of this stuff as time goes on. I'll have more time when in school, so this should be good.

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives...li-recipe.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    It's so easy and so freakin' good now I keep a vaccum pack of smoked salmon in my fridge always. All I need are creme fresh or fake it and I've got winner winner smoked salmon dinner. *Note it ain't easy finding proper tagliatelle...I try to keep that on hand too. Am partial to the stuff with cracked pepper in it.
    awesome. i will try this soon. i find the blue vaccum pack from fresh market is not bad. per noodles, its going to be brown rice something from tinkyada. have you tried this with basmati? that might be a complete bastardizing of the dish, but these things happen when avoiding the evil gluten demon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gt6267a View Post
    awesome. i will try this soon. i find the blue vaccum pack from fresh market is not bad. per noodles, its going to be brown rice something from tinkyada. have you tried this with basmati? that might be a complete bastardizing of the dish, but these things happen when avoiding the evil gluten demon.
    For health reasons, or do you have celiacs?

Basmati is awesome. I grew up in India, and ate a ton of that stuff.

I prefer eating brown ride though. Tastes better to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

For health reasons, or do you have celiacs?

Basmati is awesome. I grew up in India, and ate a ton of that stuff.

I prefer eating brown ride though. Tastes better to me.
    i'm in a strange limbo land on this one. i have a reaction to gluteny products and feel considerably healthier when i avoid all wheat. after being GF for 18 months, I talked to a doctor and he told me to eat wheat for a week and then it was biopsy time. the biopsy came back negative but the doctor gave me the classic "if it hurts, don't do that". after the negative biopsy, i continued eating wheat but found myself fairly run down. i cut the wheat out and things got better. so, is it the gluten? is it something else? the part the seems most relevant is that avoiding gluten solves problems for me. lately, i have been pondering pursuing this further, but have been time swamped and not gotten to it.
    Last edited by gt6267a; 08-05-2009 at 02:32 PM. Reason: added another sentance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In all honesty, to figure out if you have celiacs, they poison you.

If you read literature, gluten has been linked to inflammation at times.

Team Garmin's been experimenting with gluten free food for a season or two and the riders like it.

If you can lay off the stuff in day to day life without issue, then there's no reason to go back to it, especially if you've done the trial and error thing as you have.

That being said, I'm no doctor, nor do I play one on TV.

I do want to try doing the no/less gluten thing and see how my body likes it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In all honesty, to figure out if you have celiacs, they poison you.

If you read literature, gluten has been linked to inflammation at times.

Team Garmin's been experimenting with gluten free food for a season or two and the riders like it.

If you can lay off the stuff in day to day life without issue, then there's no reason to go back to it, especially if you've done the trial and error thing as you have.

That being said, I'm no doctor, nor do I play one on TV.

I do want to try doing the no/less gluten thing and see how my body likes it.
    OK redeemed...cycling content ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2lb Bone in Ribeye eventually to be done "black and blue".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    2lb Bone in Ribeye eventually to be done "black and blue".

Oh....dewd....you have a real butcher. I'm pretty envious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whoa, i gotta lotta catchin up to do.

so, the pics are on a _film_ camera, doh!

but i can report belatedly that last saturday night was mudbugs and gumbo and abita beer.

the next night was sushi, sapporo, and saki.

birthday-packed weekend you know.:)