User Tag List

Page 113 of 146 FirstFirst ... 103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120121122123 ... LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,260 of 2905

Thread: What are you cooking for dinner this weekend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What are you cooking for dinner this weekend?

RW,
    Can I google that potato salad or will you share please.
    Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mike...I'll locate my wife sometime today and get the recipe for you.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slow(ish) cooked baby back. Easy peasy. bake 275* four hours, hit it with the broiler a few minutes, satisfy the cave man within. I am really liking Stubbs spicy bbq suace and their pepper marinade too. They're good on any slab of meat.

BabyBack.JPG

Jalapeno-Cheddar bbq bacon and Brat sandwich. I am terrible at glamour shots, it was way better than I made it look.

Brats.JPG
    justin rogers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A quick market stop

20170529_174306.jpg

to gather some ingredients in an attempt to copy a recipe my wife and I saw watching French public access, during which I did my best to write everything down. Our first attempt at cooking white asparagus, paired with a (slightly adapted, being vegan) white wine and cream sauce and "purée de pommes de terre exotique" which is mashed potatoes, seasoned with safron-infused milk and lime zest.

Shaved and prepped asparagus, plus the makings of the sauce (white onion and garlic, lightly sauteed in olive oil but never allowed to brown - then goes in the cream [soy in our case] and white wine, brought to a slow simmer and pureed)

Attachment 102170

Asparagus got blanched, then tossed into a hot pan with olive oil, lightly sauteed (also not allowed to brown) before being served with the sauce.

Attachment 102174

The mashed potatoes came out super-tops

Attachment 102173

But in the end I was unimpressed with the asparagus. I know it's not the easiest thing to nail - the texture was good, it absorbed flavor nicely, but the bitterness from the skin (even after shaving) lingered a bit much. Aside from maybe a deeper shave, any tips for white asparagus? The season isn't around too much longer..
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EightySixer View Post
    Slow(ish) cooked baby back. Easy peasy. bake 275* four hours, hit it with the broiler a few minutes, satisfy the cave man within. I am really liking Stubbs spicy bbq suace and their pepper marinade too. They're good on any slab of meat.

BabyBack.JPG

Jalapeno-Cheddar bbq bacon and Brat sandwich. I am terrible at glamour shots, it was way better than I made it look.

Brats.JPG
    Justin,
    We can't all be like RW. Accept it and move on like I'm trying to do.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's your potatoe salad recipe, Mike...from Susan Branch's 1986 cookbook Heart of the Home. We expect a report within the next two weeks and don't overcook the shallots...
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Righteous bread. You know what you are doing.

Hardshell crabs. Specifically, Blue crabs from the Chesapeak Bay. I pressure cook them at 15 lbs for 4 mins. with a beer and a wee bit of Old Bay. Can't miss.
    There is no mistaking when someone from Maryland is cut loose infront of a pile of HardShells. They eat with a small pointy knife in one hand and basically never look up except to brag about large intact pieces of meat they have extracted. It's a Maryland thing.

The perfect Maryland dinner in honor of Mrs. Too Tall's Birthday and send off to Liberia where she does the good work.

Fresh out of the pressure cooker:

done1.jpg

done2.jpg

done3.jpg

done4.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sonicw View Post
    Bread
    "make bikes metal again"

I love it. Publicly asking permission to adopt that as my new go-to Instagram Hashtag, sir? Please.

And this: Spicy Texas Sriracha Mango Chicken Penne

IMG_2670.JPG

Jalapeno, Mango, Yellow Onion
    Stubbs Texas Sriracha Texas Sriracha Anytime Sauce | Stubb's BBQ
    Baked & Chunk Shredded Chicken
    Al Dante Penne pinch butter/pinch oil
    Highly recommend the Stubb's sauces. I like the Pepper Anytime Marinade, Spicy BBQ and the Texas Sriracha is just awesome.

Here is the Pepper which is dang good too.
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    justin rogers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EightySixer View Post
    "make bikes metal again"

I love it. Publicly asking permission to adopt that as my new go-to Instagram Hashtag, sir? Please.
    Go for it, buddy. It's not like it was my phrase the first time around.

Turnovers with homemade rough-puff pastry

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Octave View Post
    [...]But in the end I was unimpressed with the asparagus. I know it's not the easiest thing to nail - the texture was good, it absorbed flavor nicely, but the bitterness from the skin (even after shaving) lingered a bit much. Aside from maybe a deeper shave, any tips for white asparagus? The season isn't around too much longer..
    My experience with asparagus (besides having the stinky pee gene) is that asparagus grown in hot environs is harsh, as is asparagus that gets much thicker than 3/8". I generally deal with it by accepting the bitterness and setting it off with a simple preparation (that may or may not go with the other dishes): 30s blanch in boiling water to open it up and flush out any dirty bits, then an icewater quench (only if you have to wait while other things finish cooking), then flash fry in sunflower oil with a dash of roasted sesame oil and sea salt, and top with a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Butter won't kill it either, but I'm careful about butter in the hot pan itself, as it can brown too quickly and get burned bitter bits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got a rotisserie for the kettle grill, broke it in last night. Pork tenderloin, folded it in half, tied it up, rubbed with Hardcore Carnivore Red, and spun it at 400*F directly over the coals for half an hour. A few pieces of hickory for smoke.

If you get a rotisserie keep in mind that the spit is HOT. I (very briefly) tried to grab it for some stupid reason...

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wanted some brisket but didn't want to cook a 10+lbs packer brisket for just the wife and I, so I tried an itty bitty 1.1lbs piece of brisket flat I found at Publix.

Smoked it at about 250*F until it got to about 160*F internally, then I wrapped it in butcher paper and bumped up the temp to speed things along. Took it off with an internal temp of 207*F.

Lessons learned:

Small brisket pieces take a lot longer to cook than you'd think - this on was on for 3.5hrs with the last hour at 330-350*F smoker temps.

Wrapped it too soon, didn't get enough bark.

Probably should have let it rest longer - took it off the smoker, unwrapped it, let it sit on the cutting board for about 5mins, and sliced it.

It was pretty tough. Nice smoke ring, good flavor, but tough. We ate it all, but I wasn't thrilled with it.

Plan for next time: Smoke it at 250*F without bumping up the smoker temps, put it on about 8hrs before we plan to eat, wrap it later, once the bark looks right, and foil/towel/cooler for about an hour once it's done. Basically I want to let it spent a lot of time at higher temps to give the connective tissue more time to break down and let it become more tender. It's a theory anyhow.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The crabs look great and I'm putting pots out this weekend.

However, World According to Greg, once you try cleaning them before you cook them you will never go back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Wanted some brisket but didn't want to cook a 10+lbs packer brisket for just the wife and I, so I tried an itty bitty 1.1lbs piece of brisket flat I found at Publix.

Smoked it at about 250*F until it got to about 160*F internally, then I wrapped it in butcher paper and bumped up the temp to speed things along. Took it off with an internal temp of 207*F.

Lessons learned:

Small brisket pieces take a lot longer to cook than you'd think - this on was on for 3.5hrs with the last hour at 330-350*F smoker temps.

Wrapped it too soon, didn't get enough bark.

Probably should have let it rest longer - took it off the smoker, unwrapped it, let it sit on the cutting board for about 5mins, and sliced it.

It was pretty tough. Nice smoke ring, good flavor, but tough. We ate it all, but I wasn't thrilled with it.

Plan for next time: Smoke it at 250*F without bumping up the smoker temps, put it on about 8hrs before we plan to eat, wrap it later, once the bark looks right, and foil/towel/cooler for about an hour once it's done. Basically I want to let it spent a lot of time at higher temps to give the connective tissue more time to break down and let it become more tender. It's a theory anyhow.

Dustin, brisket done properly has very little to do with internal temps. I've had brisket perfect at 190, and at 210 plus. The best guys can tell by holding it, give it a shake. For most of us, we use a pointed probe into the thick parts, and when it's done, that probe goes in almost like a hot knife in butter. If there's any resistance, it's not done.
    Nice smoke ring, by the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Early birthday party for our middle kid and he asked for ribs. I didn't have time for a slow cook on the grille so Mrs. RW baked them in the oven and I finished them on the grille. That's home brewed white sangria with blueberries in the glass...great on hot Summer afternoon.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bking View Post
    Dustin, brisket done properly has very little to do with internal temps. I've had brisket perfect at 190, and at 210 plus. The best guys can tell by holding it, give it a shake. For most of us, we use a pointed probe into the thick parts, and when it's done, that probe goes in almost like a hot knife in butter. If there's any resistance, it's not done.
    Nice smoke ring, by the way.
    this is my experience as well, did a pork butt this weekend and i usually to do them hot and fast and they seem done around 195-205*
    i was a little lazy in tending the fire this time, so the same amount of time on the smoker, most of the butt was around 190 and the very center was more like 185.
    but the temp probe was sliding in smooth and i jiggled the bone and it wanted to come out...it made pulled pork just fine after resting...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post

Early birthday party for our middle kid and he asked for ribs. I didn't have time for a slow cook on the grille so Mrs. RW baked them in the oven and I finished them on the grille. That's home brewed white sangria with blueberries in the glass...great on hot Summer afternoon.
    Don't know what's better, your mad cooking skills or our photos. good work on both.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smashburgers last night. Still need to perfect timing so they're not overdone. The Hardcore Carnivore Black rub is becoming one of my favorites though!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dustin...I go for the ground chuck on burgers...good fat content. Season in advance with a little Worcestershire or soy sauce, sear just a bit on both sides and then cook with the cover on and the meat off of the direct heat. They seem to stay juicier and no worries about burning. If folks want cheese, I keep them covered as well...about 450-500F.
    rw saunders