User Tag List

Page 10 of 146 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you cooking for dinner this weekend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FoDo you are a gawd that's fine stuff boy.

Hey, report to follow. Just got back from the neighbor's house. He is what I should have been if the stars were aligned when mom and dad had their little blessing...more on that later.

My neighbor is very Italian and every yr. invites some locals over for festival of the seven fishes. All recipes are handed down in his family and very interesting northern coast fare. Some of this stuff is to die for and we drink a bit ;)

I really enjoy this. Good thing I ride alot. Eat well, ride lots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We made quiche for brunch on Christmas, and man was it ever good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dinner tonight with local foodies. I made Salad with cheese filled ravioli and carmelized pears.

The herb salad is with: gorgonzola, cherry tomatoes, cold broccoli, avacado and asparagus prev. wok'd with sesame oil. Dressing was good effin' $$$$ basalmic $$$$ with lemon juice and pepper. Classic prep. first you crush a couple garlics and rub them into the bottom of a large wood bowl than make the dressing in the bowl and build salad ontop...cover with a wet towel and refrigerate...toss when ready.

Cheese filled tortillini cooked al dente' , drained than finished in a hot pan tossed thru with an india spiced brown nut butter (curry seeds and some cardamon seeds crushed in a mortar) just before plating. Yummm.

Dessert was carmelized baked pears. Easy dish. Brown sugar and butter into a pan until it bubbles than hit it with lemon juice and put cored 1/2 pears in face down and lower heat for a few mins while spooning the goop ontop to glaze than into a 375 oven for 10 mins. Once out of the oven do some more glazing. Before hand prepare rum raisins. To make them just cover two cups of golden raisins with boiling water + rum...well lots of rum yo ;) Let this sit at least 30 mins. Prepare a marscapone + raisins topping for the pears by folding the raisins into the marscapone. Put a healty glob into each pear half and drizzle with leftover carmel from the pan. *When I half the pears I like to split and leave the stem in place so people know it is a real fruit darnit! It's OK to have bones in fish and not apologize if you catch my drift ;)

Peace and happy cooking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, sounds sumptuous: from sesame oil to cardamon, from brown nut butter to carmelized pear, from gorgonzola to mascarpone. completely perfected orchestration, maestro. wish i were there.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Dinner tonight with local foodies. I made Salad with cheese filled ravioli and carmelized pears.

The herb salad is with: gorgonzola, cherry tomatoes, cold broccoli, avacado and asparagus prev. wok'd with sesame oil. Dressing was good effin' $$$$ basalmic $$$$ with lemon juice and pepper. Classic prep. first you crush a couple garlics and rub them into the bottom of a large wood bowl than make the dressing in the bowl and build salad ontop...cover with a wet towel and refrigerate...toss when ready.

Cheese filled tortillini cooked al dente' , drained than finished in a hot pan tossed thru with an india spiced brown nut butter (curry seeds and some cardamon seeds crushed in a mortar) just before plating. Yummm.

Dessert was carmelized baked pears. Easy dish. Brown sugar and butter into a pan until it bubbles than hit it with lemon juice and put cored 1/2 pears in face down and lower heat for a few mins while spooning the goop ontop to glaze than into a 375 oven for 10 mins. Once out of the oven do some more glazing. Before hand prepare rum raisins. To make them just cover two cups of golden raisins with boiling water + rum...well lots of rum yo ;) Let this sit at least 30 mins. Prepare a marscapone + raisins topping for the pears by folding the raisins into the marscapone. Put a healty glob into each pear half and drizzle with leftover carmel from the pan. *When I half the pears I like to split and leave the stem in place so people know it is a real fruit darnit! It's OK to have bones in fish and not apologize if you catch my drift ;)

Peace and happy cooking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for nice word Dave. The 15 yrs. old son of one couple has a gift and is destined to be a great chef. He just landed an apprenticeship at a dynamite bistro in my hood. He is all over the map as he should be. We talk about how to not ruin food alot ;) I'm teaching him to master the basics and not worry about fancyschmancy...if you can make a perfect cheese omlette in a metal pan or a (aheem) br. nut butter without smokin' it...well...you are on the road to patience and not ruining food ;) hehe. Good kid and already darn fine cook.

My next meal to share with these cats will be a whole rockfish done up in my very large (??? 4 1/2 qt ???) fish poacher. Simple prep. with salt
    peppercorns, celery, carrots, lemon, bay leaves...served with whole grains...not sure what yet prolly some of Marco's MN wild rice. Cheeses first, fish maybe no dessert just coffee.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was treated to a visit by my sweet little chef/mother. In one week we cooked about enough food to feed a small Turkish army. Holy cow she can produce a lot a food. We baked five loaves of bread, one pan of tel kadayif, huge pot of Turkish lentils, Borek, Cigar Borek, Spinack with tomato and rice, and almond cakes. I must have gained two pounds.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two VSalon gold stars Shino, that's fine stuff.

If it is not too much trouble can you share some recipes? Am esp. intersted in the lentils.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks..I'll paste them on my fridge. My mom doesn't use recipes but I'll try to figure something out. I posted this before, but it's one of the best soups on Earth. It's very simple to make and healthy. Don't neglect the butter and mint. You will need to add more water than he says. It shouldn't get gloppy..

Red Lentil, Bulgur, & Mint Soup

Ezogelin Çarbasi
    Serves 4-6

Red Lentil, Bulgur, and Mint Soup Sultan's Kitchen presented this soup to more than 1500 guests at the annual James Beard Awards Dinner in May 1995.

2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
    2 tablespoons unsalted clarified butter
    1 large Spanish onion, finely diced (3/4 cups)
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 medium tomato, peeled,
    seeded and finely chopped (1/2 cup)
    2 tablespoons paprika
    1/2 teaspoon Turkish red pepper
    or ground red pepper
    1-1/2 cups red lentils
    1/4 cup long-grain white rice
    6 cups chicken stock or water
    1/4 cup fine-grain bulgur
    1 tablespoon dried mint
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Plain bread croutons (optional)
    Lemon wedges

Topping
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 teaspoon dried mint
    1/2 teaspoon paprika

In a heavy medium-size saucepan, heat the olive oil and the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook gently for about 2 minutes, or until they're softened but not brown. Stir in the tomato paste, chopped tomato, paprika, and Turkish pepper. Add the lentils, rice, and stock. Cover the saucepan and bring the liquid to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice is cooked and the lentils have blended with the stock. Add the bulgur and mint, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the soup is too thick, add a little water.

To make the topping, melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat., add the mint and paprika, and stir the mixture until it sizzles. Ladle the soup into individual bowls and drizzle the butter mixture over each serving. Top with the croutons, if you're using them. Serve at once with lemon wedges.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default you gotta love the food processor, yo!

wow shinomaster, that's some serious cookin'

i got sumptin simple, here - you gotta love the food processor:

i threw in some cooked great northern beans, some roasted red peppers, some raw garlic cloves, some evoo and parmigiano reggiano, and frappe!!!

i tossed this mixture on sliced boneless breast of chicken which had been poached in broth boiling with fresh ginger - perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whipped up some thick beek stew. Made some buff. burgers. Salad. And right now the ice cream makers going! :)

1/4 cup half and half
    1 2/3 cup whole milk
    4 cups fat free vanilla yogurt
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 tbl spoon vanilla extract

:beerglass:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Athame, bro you need my spice connection for Vanilla Bean. Infact anyone reading who is looking for a fresh source of really fine middle east or Inda spice check this out. I've had one order so far and am blow away. Quality and freshness are all top drawer.

http://zamourispices.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the connection. I've been wanting to spice order on line but haven't taken the bit yet. I'll give that one a try!

Cheers,

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Not for dinner

I'm baking a cake for my Tai Chi instructors birthday. They all think the mail order purchased cake of years past was death by chocolate. This is the real deal from Marcel Desaulniers cookbook. 1lb butter, 4+lbs bittersweet chocolate, a bit over a half gallon heavy cream, somewhere around 1300 calories in a restaurant serving :cake:. Like anyone could actually eat that :eek:. I'll post some pictures as I create it. This is fun stuff, 2-3 day project. Yumm
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya' gotta love a multi-day cooking project. You know you're working toward something special. Send me down a slice when you're done :D

jimi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Insane Cake

Here's a pic of the cake I made. I need to brush up on my pastry bag skills but the stars aren't to bad. The layers are brownie, ganache, Cocoa meringue, mocha mousse, brownie, Ganache to cover and Chocolate Mousse. It's supposed to be on a pond of mocha rum sauce but I decided that's a bit much. Not bad for a birthday cake :cake:. I want about 2 forkfuls that should be plenty. Enjoy the day, Frank
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This baby just went on the smoker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is killing me. The cake...omg...bbq...oy ve....

You guys suk :adore:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going real time on this. Here is 2 hours in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy cow Jonathan! How will you eat/serve that lovely meat?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shinomaster View Post
    Holy cow Jonathan! How will you eat/serve that lovely meat?
    It will be pulled, served with (good)mac and cheese, beans, cornbread and Dog Fish 90 IPA.

I'm slaving over the smoker for my mother in laws b-day so there will be choc cake at the end.