Thread: Gage+DeSoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gage+DeSoto

a note from e-RICHIE -
    this thread is another departure from the typical Smoked Out effbuilder columns that are now V place fixtures. to continue casting the net out further and catching unique fellow V-istas in the act of being beyond measurably unique, today we introduce Gage + DeSoto. i have known mike and brett for several seasons and on different levels. they are NAHBS pals, and nyc pals, and 'cross pals too. more importantly, their company, like last week's La Rueda Tropical before them, has a beautiful online presence that's equal parts news, commerce, and design. i am a regular visitor to their site and maybe you'll become one too atmo.

MIKE:

Gage + DeSoto started as many small businesses do - as a vanity project. Until recently I was working full time as an IT Manager at an NYC investment firm, and despite the lure of a steadily increasing salary, I was unsatisfied. I decided to take all of the things I loved to do in my ever dwindling "spare time" and give myself some projects. Urban biking and road riding was always part of my life - for 3 years after college ('92-'95 - the heyday) I was a bike messenger in Boston. I also have a love of graphic design (specifically typography) and photography. So in 2008 I formed a company to keep myself honest, and set out to learn how to actually do some of the stuff I had always wanted to do.

I started with screen printing and I came out with a few cycling-related T-shirts. My friend Andrew at NYC Velo agreed to carry them, and to my surprise they started selling pretty well. I then gave myself a crash course in web design and put up a (very) rudimentary web store. Somehow, Bill Strickland from Bicycling Magazine happened upon the site and asked for a few shirts for a photo shoot. He ended up featuring one of the shirts in their "Things We Love" section and I suddenly couldn't keep up with the orders that were coming in. All the while, I kept learning the ins and outs of screen printing, typography, web and graphic design, and even accounting software. (The Gage + DeSoto logo took a lot of abuse during this period as I kept trying to come up with a proper brand identity in real time - a bit like working on your carburetor while doing 65 down the highway). Things finally settled down, and with the help of new friends in the industry, the brand began to establish its own personality (which I sum up as "Design For Cyclists").

I no longer screen print shirts myself, but I still design them (along with kits and a few other things), and I am slowly but surely expanding the web store to carry unique, hard-to-find items such as books and periodicals that cater to the road cyclist. While working with the guys at NYC Velo, I met Brett Cleaver, and he and I quickly realized that we shared not only the same design sensibility, but also a lot of ideas about how a small business could operate in the cycling/race community of New York City. We worked with Rapha on running the highly successful New York Cycle Club last year, and I'm proud to say that Brett is now the other half of Gage+DeSoto. He has forged ahead with new marketing, sponsorship and event ideas that would have been impossible to accomplish (or even dream up) when it was just me on my own. Brett has a natural sense for brands and how they interact with each other and the marketplace, and this is a skill that is in demand in the bike industry more than ever. As such, G+D was a big sponsor of the Red Hook Crit this past year, and our relationship with race organizer Dave Trimble is now close enough that we share an office space and a showroom (in Red Hook, Brooklyn, naturally). We have managed to put together a deep and friendly list of contacts within a fairly short period of time, and we are happiest when we are able to put brands together and make something new.

BRETT:

I'm the new guy to Gage+DeSoto, but (fortunately for Mike) not new to cycling. Growing up in rural Northeast Connecticut with acres and acres of state forest surrounding my home found me on a mountain bike in high school. That was the mid 90's, the golden era of mountain biking for many. In fact, less than 3 miles down the road from my house was a mountain bike race, The Wrath of Sun Valley. It drew hordes of racers every year, even Tom Danielson was there duking it out in the elite race as a junior. It was at that very race that I found out about Spooky Cycles. Unable to afford one as a college student, I took a shot in the dark and offered my services as a free intern. The internship paid off with a Darkside and the opportunity to travel with the team to various NORBA and UCI events. It was through these events and travels that I met various industry personalities. One of which was the marketing director at Bike magazine. Sean Smith took me under his wing and I held a brief cross coastal internship at Bike magazine (that doubled as an independent study for college credits).

It was towards the end of college that I sought another means of cycling. Mountain biking required more time and energy than road cycling. I became the proud owner of an older steel Serotta and I rode it all over CT. I even took it with me when I moved to Manhattan in 2000. Though the routes in NYC weren't as bountiful or rewarding, the riding company couldn't be matched. I met rider after rider in Central Park. Before I knew it, I could turn up in the park any day or time and find a familiar face. As my time in the saddle increased, I was urged to race by my cycling peers. It was racing and a love for cycling that finally took me out of the music industry (where I had spent my initial 9 years in NYC) and into a bike shop.

This transition opened new doors and also introduced me to one Michael A Spriggs. He had a t-shirt brand (Gage+DeSoto) and worked on design and marketing at the shop. We shared interests and even had similar visions. So much, that we proved the perfect pair to launch and run the Rapha Cycle Club in NYC last summer. I left to ride across the US with my wife on our honeymoon. For anyone that may have missed it, we documented our adventure on kissingwithhelmets.com. Upon my return to NYC the Fall of 2010, the Club had finished its run, and Mike and I were both looking for a new project.

So here we are, putting our collective effort into G+D to create a unique marketing, branding and media experience. We offer companies a fresh approach to what they may or may not be doing. Mike and I are operating on a grassroots level that parallels a DIY / punk rock band / streetwear brand. If we think an event would be cool at a coffee shop, we make it happen. Or, if bike brand x needs to meet record label y, we bring them together. We take what some may think are far-fetched ideas and run with them, because no one else is going to. At the end of the day, we want people to say "G+D did what? Oh snap, that's a great idea, actually!" Sure, it's always been possible, but we don't think there has been a brand as deeply rooted in NYC cycling culture that dared (or maybe cared) to try.

Visit HOME - Cycling T-Shirts | Cycling Magazine | Cycling Design | Gage + DeSoto for more information.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Gage+DeSoto

Great story guys and I love the kissingwithhelmets idea. I'll have to check it out more.

As a group (power couple) that creates and not being just one person waiting for the muse to strike how does you guys work? Is each project a collaboration? Do you work alone and then have a critique or code review of some kind? Is there a constant power struggle ala The Police where everyone shows up with songs but Sting's are just really good.

What's the environment?

Who get's mad and throws things?

Conor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mike and Brett are awesome guys. Met with me when I was looking for jobs in NYC and got me coffee by NYCvelo. Excited to see this thread develop.

Thanks for posting guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mike and Brett, this is a wonderful read and hope to break bread with you both someday soon.
    Worthy mention: Smoked Out By Sachs - HOME - Cycling T-Shirts | Cycling Magazine | Cycling Design | Gage + DeSoto
    Also, thanks for the kinds words about the Vsalon logo. I can relate to your own struggle to find identity.
    More questions forthcoming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off - Huge thanks to Richard for including Gage + DeSoto in Smoked Out. We are honored to be here.

Hi Conor,

This is Brett.

Glad you like the Kissing With Helmets adventure. Edie and I had a blast and would love to do it again. Everyday is accounted for on the blog, so it's a good read if you have the time.

As for G+D, Mike and I have been very fortunate as our work relationship is very natural. Our projects typically end up a collaboration, but we each cast a net in different directions. So, I'll get a meeting with someone and then feel it out and Mike and I will meet about it or discuss it later (or vice versa). If it seems like a good project or match for G+D then we'll both get involved or keep each other looped in. We're both proactive about this and eager to make things happen, so the balance of power and initiative is closely matched. We'll also divvy up work or just take the lead based on the scenario. We've been very fortunate that things have flowed so easily for us.

Our office up until a few weeks ago was various cafes and Whole Foods ; ) The new space in Red Hook with Trimble Racing will give us a place to call an office and from the work we've already done there, it's great. Before, our days resulted in numerous phone calls, using our apts to work in or finding a small cafe without internet or room for a computer. We do a lot of work on our iPhones, which I'm hoping this new space eliminates to a degree.

Now watch, I will have answered this poorly and without consulting Mike and he's going to fly off the handle!

Thanks again,
    Brett

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

David, Congrats on the new job!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Easy Brett, you don´t know me but you know my girl Dj Alleycat. Respect for all your doing, mixing the biking , music, design etc. Who am I ? Daniel Savine, ex Skunk Rock Productions, one half of Kabuki & Savine and one half of Native Minds(Reinforced, Offline etc) boy us music fellas get all over the gaff ! Music killed my bike racing, so respect to you for still combinig the two. Though I´ve stopped the music I´ve been able to build frames. You in contact with J-L by any chance ? oh and is Pieter K still producing or has he started riding again ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great read- love the story of how it unfolded.

I remember seeing the first shirts in NYC Velo (like the Clash, they are the only shop that matters) and was not sure what to make of them at first- I liked them, but it was a punk rock moment to see the DIY in full flight. All I knew was that you worked at the store and that you were making a go of it on your own- it was cool for just that reason alone:it was different than anything else going on in the city at that point. You were breaking a new trail.

Kissing with Helmets was great- one of those advetures that I wish I could do before I get too old.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all!

Brett, I just threw the laser printer across the office after reading your post. ;)

Actually Brett is right about the working relationship. To Conor's questions - it's based first on trust, and that allows us to represent the brand in different ways, knowing the other person will most likely be behind both the approach and the outcome. This isn't the best analogy, but it would be like inviting someone to an event and knowing they would dress appropriately. So with that foundation, you can actually focus on the task at hand and not all the peripheral things that inevitably pop up.

And the workspace has been a big boon, even in the short time we've had it. For all the talk of virtual offices and paperless environments, there is nothing like a base of operations for brainstorming and project work with some (paper) notebooks and pens. Sure we can be connected all day (and night, at this point) with iPhones and laptops - but the nice, round table in our office is still the best place to share ideas and get real work done. (Plus, where else would we watch the Giro!?)

Usually our days consist of escalating email chains back and forth, which result in a quick catch up call or 2, followed by plans to meet at the office. After we ride of course.

Thanks so much to Richard and VSalon for reaching out to us and including us in the community. Amazing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Daniel, Alicia has mentioned a number of times that we should chat. I know exactly who you are. The Klute remix of Intastate was a favorite for years. JL is on facebook and I'm not sure what PK is up to.
    Would love to see the bikes you've been building.
    Keep in touch,
    Brett

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of you guys bought one of my t-shirts one time and I was honored.
    Brett-
    You seemed very disappointed when you found me under the trailer soaked in piss at Mt. St. Anne.
    Are you still straightedge?
    -m

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mickey, I'm still straight edge, though don't really tout the label.

Mt. St. Anne was so long ago, but also a fun weekend. We were stuck sleeping in that attic space, remember?

Ah, good times.

-B

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gage+desoto View Post
    We worked with Rapha on running the highly successful New York Cycle Club last year
    Hi Mike/Brett, cool read, thanks for doing this Smoked Out.

...but as a member of the New York Cycle Club (Home | NYCC.org) for the past six years, I'm intrigued by the above quote. Different NYCC, or what?

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yo mike and brett atmo -

re that email exchange from the other day: thanks for the referrals. it
    looks like we have a new weapon to use. mum's the word for now, huh.

xxoo -

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Bob,

Glad you enjoyed it, we're super excited to be here telling our story.

Mike and I were referencing the physical Cycle Club set up by Rapha last summer in NYC. It was in the East Village on Bowery for three months as a pop up location.

You can find more details on - NYC 2010 | Rapha and NYC Cycle Club Launch | Rapha

Best,
    Brett

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice.

mum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For anyone in the NYC area, there's a Red Hook Criterium Photography Exhibition Benefit at the RHC Office tomorrow night.

We share the space with Trimble Racing and we'll be on hand to say hello or sell you a T-Shirt. It should be a great night and a chance to see some amazing photography from this year's RHC.

Also, we did an interview for 3rd Ward in Brooklyn. I even plagiarized some parts for our Smoked Out write up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a quick update to let everyone know that we've been scanning and posting the covers of Winning magazine on Gage + DeSoto.

We started with 1996 and we're working our way back to 1988.

We just posted 1994 yesterday.

Check them out HERE.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by clever View Post

Check them out HERE.
    great idea atmo - thanks for doing this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are great- I had kept all of my Winnings from 89 to the ealry 90's until 2006 when I moved west for a year.
    Thanks for posting BC!
    Very cool.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast