Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Alternative uses for the Confederate Battle Flag / Letterpress book

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Alternative uses for the Confederate Battle Flag / Letterpress book

I just finished a hand-printed (letterpress), hand-bound fine press book edition of the former North Carolina poet laureate's work.

Southern Fictions is a series of Kathryn Stripling Byer sonnets reflecting back upon her time growing up in the Deep South during the Jim Crow era.

The first sonnet references her Dad having a battle flag up in one of their windows. I thought it would be interesting to cut up some old cotton battle flags and mix into the pulp to recontextualize the flag and turn it into something different, and something that readers touch and hold while reading Kay's words. My friend Ann Marie Kennedy made flax/cotton blend handmade papers for the covers.

A few pics here, there's a bunch more, along with more info about the book and Kay's writing at the Horse & Buggy Press blog. (I worked on this for a fellow publisher, Jacar Press, a community active press that will be using a portion of the proceeds to fund youth writing workshops).

New fine press book edition: Southern Fictions by Kathryn Stripling Byer « Retro-Grouch Ramblings

Sonnets-Flag remains.JPGSonnets-First poem printed.JPGSonnets-Covers on green cabinet.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Alternative uses for the Confederate Battle Flag / Letterpress book

I checked these out recently on a brief visit to Dave's studio in Durham and the concept and execution are excellent as usual. Hope to read more of the sonnets soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All that and good looking too?
    Dave, how can I purchase an copy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    All that and good looking too?
    Dave, how can I purchase an copy?
    Thanks for the kind words.
    As far as price, the book costs $100. No sales tax if the book crosses state lines. $3 shipping charge.
    It can be ordered at the Jacar Press website, Jacar Press | Home,
    or through me at dave@horseandbuggypress.com.
    Just let me know the mailing address and I will send the book out along with a net 30 invoice.

As with all orders through H&B the book comes with a one week guarantee, if you don't like it for whatever reason you can return it for a full refund.
    I'm probably not going to get the books back from Kay (who is signing them) until May 21 weekend when there are some events.

Thanks for the interest.
    Please know locals are always welcome to come and read books at the back table during our Weds foyer gallery hours, 4-7pm, or our monthly open studios on the Third Friday of each month from 6-9pm (local beer this month will be served up growler style).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Done. CAN'T WAIT !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very cool. Letterpress is really a lost art. I love what you did for the covers!

I have a collection of small letterpress presses in my office. I'd love to get something like a C&P 8x12 or 10x15.