Likes Likes:  0

Thread: London Calling

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default London Calling

I just got notice today that I'll be spending most of the summer in London. While I'll be there for work, I'm looking for any recommendations you might have to offer for fun. For reference, I'll likely be staying near Kew.

Any eating or drinking establishments that I should really visit?

Is it worth shipping a bike, or should I just bring my running shoes?

Other things I should know? I haven't been outside of Heathrow before, so don't assume anything...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: London Calling

Dude:
    I just spent a week there. A colleague brought me a brompton folder to play with but I would have loved to have more time and a bike that really fit. I suggest bringing your bike over. The roads are beautiful and the countryside in places os incredibly lush. I'll be back in a couple of months. This time, I will plan an extra few days so I can really ride.

-d
    Dovid@dhoffman.consulting

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a night ride from London to Brighton (on the coast) every full moon. Might be a fun event, whether you bring a bike or manage to borrow one.

Why not bring your shoes and helmet and buy something serviceable for the summer, and sell it on your way home?
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

in a city with a lot of realy good indian food, this place is GREAT:
    www.eathotstuff.com

if you're a foodie and don't mind some little-used animal parts in your dinner, this place is a once-in-a-lifetime experience:
    St. JOHN Bar and Restaurant SMITHFIELD | St. John Restaurant

great riding and running if you look around. i lived in maida vale for a while and ran a bunch around the canals there. plus lots of laps on the bike around the parks. easy enough to take the bike on the train out of the city too, for a more rural riding experience. i loved riding in the city, but after riding in boston it didn't seem that big a deal traffic-wise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you do go the rental route, I highly recommend Velorution near Russell Square for a Brompton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spent two months over there for a dot com. I brought my running shoes, and my climbing shoes.

Make sure to check out the National Gallery

I took a one day trip to Stone Henge and Glastonbury, touristy but so cool. I mean it is Stone Henge!

And if you like climbing, The Castle in London is a fun gym. Home - The Castle Climbing Centre

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the recommendations, guys. Looking into what it would take to ship/pack a bike, I'll probably either rent or buy one there.

The restaurant and site recommendations are also much appreciated - keep them coming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kew eh? Live by the rivahhhhh......Sarf Lundun innit...... bit like Georgetown IME, you can run/bike alongside the rowers.......Tres Posh!

Too much to list....just jump in and immerse yerself....(well not in the Thames anyway). my tip.... anything brewed by Fullers.....

You WILL have fun.