User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: “How To Be A Man: A Guide To Style And Behavior For The Modern Gentleman”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default “How To Be A Man: A Guide To Style And Behavior For The Modern Gentleman”

just saw this linked from IWC.

The Interview | How To Be A Man by Glenn O

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: “How To Be A Man: A Guide To Style And Behavior For The Modern Gentleman”

Many good points here. I know a lot of men who insist that men's clothing does not change. They make excuses, like fashion and business don't mix. But business, like fashion, is about sensing change and being aware of what the trends are. The world changes, and we either adapt or get left behind. Clothing fits better these days. Business attire does not require that your suit be baggy, with pleats and cuffs.

Also, I really like the part of the interview where they discuss being insistent with your tailor. They fit clothing to men of all walks of life. They'll make middle-of-the-road suggestions to you if you cannot express exactly what it is you want. It is important that you really know how you want your clothing to fit and that you stick to your guns on that. The best thing to do is to find someone close to your age who dresses how you want to dress. Communication is much easier that way.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Your tailor should not wear a belt. The man's business is fit. And a belt on a tailor suggests that he's asleep at the wheel.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: “How To Be A Man: A Guide To Style And Behavior For The Modern Gentleman”

great read
    Made me think of something that pissed me off recently.
    Izod ...
    They had that little gator on their shirts, and it was simple, unique and identifiable.
    Now they have an I superimposed over a Z and it looks dumb to me.
    I grew up poor wanting certain things in a bad way. Izod "gator" shirts was one of them. At some point, I could afford them and I wore them until they became shop rags. I even had a pink one - there, I said it!
    Maybe people didn't like the gator. Maybe new marketing folks decided it was time to change. Building a brand is hard. Evolving one is even harder. They missed the mark (my opinion, of course).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That article is rank with satire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very funny article—I laughed out loud a couple of times.
    Quote Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
    great read
    Made me think of something that pissed me off recently.
    Izod ...
    They had that little gator on their shirts, and it was simple, unique and identifiable.
    Now they have an I superimposed over a Z and it looks dumb to me.
    I grew up poor wanting certain things in a bad way. Izod "gator" shirts was one of them. At some point, I could afford them and I wore them until they became shop rags. I even had a pink one - there, I said it!
    Maybe people didn't like the gator. Maybe new marketing folks decided it was time to change. Building a brand is hard. Evolving one is even harder. They missed the mark (my opinion, of course).
    The crocodile (not an alligator) is a trademark of Lacoste. Don't know the full history, but Izod-Lacoste was a single company in the U.S. at least for several decades, but was split sometime in the '90's or so when the company floundered. The crocodile stayed with Lacoste, and they have a full line of clothing adorned with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
    Very funny article—I laughed out loud a couple of times. The crocodile (not an alligator) is a trademark of Lacoste. Don't know the full history, but Izod-Lacoste was a single company in the U.S. at least for several decades, but was split sometime in the '90's or so when the company floundered. The crocodile stayed with Lacoste, and they have a full line of clothing adorned with it.
    Thanks for that - I'll look for the croc next time I'm in europe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lacoste is still in the US.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can be found in a college town shopping mall near you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best quote "There’s a big difference between a dandy and a fop."

I love that he's against bags with wheels. I hate them. I used to work with a guy who I could tell had given up when he gained a bunch of weight and started bringing one to work everyday.

If you're in the market there are even more ways to be manly at The Art of Manliness No affiliation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to have a Belgian shoe reference. The bow is perfection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the article makes me barf! But it is I whho am a Velominati, not some prissy poser!i