Thread: Pereira Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Pereira Cycles

Hey Tony,
    Glad to see you here. I always enjoy throwing a beer back with you. I know I'm lucky to be NoPo neighbors with you and Ira. I have a couple questions for you to ponder:

-What have been some of your best/ worst purchase decisions for Pereira Cycles? I'm wondering what the best return on investment you think you've made so far is.

-Could you give us all a few tips on how to get the holeshot? I'm tired of seeing you make the first turn before everyone else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Tony,
    I've been following your work since 4-5 years, and what always impressed me is your consistent style: it's always very easy to recognize a Pereira, based on some subtle details.
    Was it something easy to reach, or did you have to say "no" to the first customers who wanted something that wouldn't fit your style ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=lex;288910
    I moved my shop to my house too.

I was wondering if you have had to or elected to change your process any since you have been working from home?
    For instance, I started to use files alot more to reduce the noise level for my neighbors among other things.
    Thanks man!
    [/QUOTE]

Lex,
    Just having one kid has been such a huge challenge I can't imagine having more. Good on ya!
    My new shop is about twice the size of the old one, so I've been able to take advantage of that to streamline my workflow. It's still not where I want it to be, but I'm not tripping over myself anymore. I insulated the garage pretty well and hung sheetrock, so I'm not too worried about noise. I do prefer an angle grinder to a hacksaw and that is probably the loudest tool I use. I have a belt grinder for deburring, but that is only used for a minute or so at a time. The mill and lathe are pretty quiet.
    -Tony
    Portland, Oregon, USA
    www.pereiracycles.com
    www.breadwinnercycles.com
    503-333-5043

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahn,
    Thanks for the nice words. When are you back in town? You left a multi-tool in the bag of my G-bike.
    UBI has been amazing.
    For those that haven't seen them, Hahn is referring to a few sets on my flickr account of building sequences. One, in particular, is a full frame build. It is a bit dated and doesn't reflect exactly how I do things now, but still has some goodies in it:
    Frame Build Sequence - a set on Flickr
    -T
    Portland, Oregon, USA
    www.pereiracycles.com
    503-333-5043

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cardinal View Post
    Hey Tony,
    Glad to see you here. I always enjoy throwing a beer back with you. I know I'm lucky to be NoPo neighbors with you and Ira. I have a couple questions for you to ponder:

-What have been some of your best/ worst purchase decisions for Pereira Cycles? I'm wondering what the best return on investment you think you've made so far is.

-Could you give us all a few tips on how to get the holeshot? I'm tired of seeing you make the first turn before everyone else.
    NoPo Represent! It's great to have our little sub-group up here, eh?

I'm pretty conservative when it comes to tooling purchases. I love having the right tool for the job and I always try to buy the best quality stuff I can. This often means putting off a purchase rather than running over to Harbor Freight. The worst purchases I've made are cheap tools that wear out or break quickly. My favorite tool is probably the lathe. I can't believe how often it completely saves the day. (And it's kind of a shitbox!) I also think it's really important to have a great bench vise. I spent $200 for an old Wilton, which was a big purchase for me. Full retail for a brand new one is somewhere around $600 and even that would be worth it for how much I use it.

I got a gasfluxer last summer. It helps a bit with laying out the fillets and I found that I can braze racks without any paste flux. Problem is if I don't wear a respirator it gives me a sore throat. I'm thinking about ditching it, but at least I know I can get what I paid for it. I bought it from Sacha and he thought it affected his mood.

The secret of the holeshot is getting your foot in the pedal on the first try. The problem is that your race is shot after the sprint. Winning the holeshot beer is worth it though.
    Portland, Oregon, USA
    www.pereiracycles.com
    503-333-5043

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edelbikes View Post
    Hi Tony,
    I've been following your work since 4-5 years, and what always impressed me is your consistent style: it's always very easy to recognize a Pereira, based on some subtle details.
    Was it something easy to reach, or did you have to say "no" to the first customers who wanted something that wouldn't fit your style ?
    Edel,
    Thanks for the compliment. I try hard to maintain a certain style. I just build what looks "right" to me. It's some balance of proportions and scale. I like everything to look integrated with matching stems, pumps and racks. I always do basically the same dropout/stay end streatment. My seat tube sleeve is probably my most "signature" feature and every bike gets it. I do have to say no occasionally, but most people come to me because they want my style. It's gotten very easy to say "that's not how I do it."
    Portland, Oregon, USA
    www.pereiracycles.com
    503-333-5043

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK - it seems that just about every builder is also a great cook. I saw you were perfecting you Pad-Thai as I have been as well..........care to share what you have come up with? - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tony,

I really like your stuff and I' have just gotten used to you (and almost everyone else) kicking my ass in short track. I almost said hi once at Saraveza, but you looked like you were enjoying your chow too much.

I'm happy to be able to cyberstalk you here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tony, Glad you are here. By the way. Oscar Rocks, Lucy Rocks, and well, you Rock too. How much has Rapha helped you, personally, business-ly? How are the IRA/TONY bikes going? Also, I have a crush your red/black SS, too bad it wont fit me.
    Last edited by vulture; 04-12-2011 at 05:01 PM. Reason: english is my native language.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vulture View Post
    red/black SS.
    That's the bike that constantly trumps me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tony,

It's really great to see you here on Smoked Out. Thanks for joining the fray.

Thinking back to 2006/2007 how important was it for you to win those trophies at NAHBS? Do you think it made your career? Started you career? Put you on the map?

I've always contended that while NAHBS may have accelerated someone or pushed them into a certain limelight but if they have the chops - they have the chops - and that talent, passion and perseverance will always win out over rewards in the long run.

I've also contended that you were one of those guys that had the chops.

For instance I know of builders that have won awards that didn't see any increase in business, as someone who's been there - what are your thoughts?

Additionally I remember being out at Acme Paint when we were all still getting our paint done there and I was looking at your black and red Mtn. bike, the one that did win the awards I think, and I remember saying to myself, "all that needs is a nice gold pearl." Of course, you don't think that way. You say that you go with what looks "right" to you. Could you discuss your aesthetic choices a bit more? Or influences that are reflected in your choices?

Thanks again for participating.

Conor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never met you, but have seen your work. Great stuff.

Sounds like that wife of yours is the best thing to happen to you---moved you to Portland, beer expert, mother of that beautiful boy....You are living the dream, man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    OK - it seems that just about every builder is also a great cook. I saw you were perfecting you Pad-Thai as I have been as well..........care to share what you have come up with? - Garro.
    Steve,

I don't know about great cook, but I do ok. One of my great friends and former roommates is a great cook and he taught me a lot. Cooking is a lot like brazing with the heat control. When you know what you're doing you can crank up the heat and work fast.

I've made about 10 batches of Pad Thai and I think I've got it pretty well down. I mostly worked off of Pim's recommendations (Pad Thai for beginners « Chez Pim) BUT (that's a big but and I hope I don't get crucified for saying it) I added ketchup to the sauce. Not too much, but it adds an element to the sauce that I really like. My old shop was across the street from a place called Pad Thai Kitchen and I used to eat there 3 times a week. I really love their pad thai, but since I don't get over there too often I thought I'd make my own. After trying ChezPim's "recipe" a couple of times I went back to Pad Thai Kitchen and asked for a little sauce on the side. Also asked what was in it and since they know me pretty well they were happy to tell me. I could taste a little hint of ketchup, but didn't want to believe it. Sure enough, ketchup--"just a little bit" they said.

So here's what I put in the sauce:
    5 cubes* tamarind pulp (prepped as described by Pim from tamarind block)
    3 Tb fish sauce (the good stuff)
    3 Tb soy sauce
    3 Tb ketchup
    1/3 c palm sugar
    paprika
    chili paste to taste (I like it hot, probably 2 Tb)

I use fresh Pad Thai noodles. We've got a little asian market down the street, so these are easy for me to get. They are a lot better than the dried type.
    Here's how it goes:
    Get all your stuff prepped. For me that's garlic, peanuts, chicken, sprouts, carrots, dried shrimp, green onions, eggs and garlic

Get the wok super hot (oil just starting to smoke)
    Add chicken, cook until almost cooked through
    Add dried shrimp and some peanuts to get that flavor into the oil cook for a few seconds
    Add a little sauce to coat chicken
    Add noodles and more sauce. Cook until noodles are almost done (This takes some practice, they cook fast. It's like that moment between liquidus and solidus)
    Push the noodles to the side and crack in the egg. Scramble it and cook a little, then toss it into the noodles.
    Add the onions and garlic and cook for a few seconds
    Add the sprouts and carrots and more peanuts.
    Toss and serve.
    It all happens pretty fast. Probably about 3-5 minutes total.

*Note on the tamarind "cubes": The first batch of tamarind pulp that I prepared got moldy in the fridge after two weeks or so. For the second batch, I poured it into ice cube trays and froze them. After they froze I stored them in ziploc bags. I pop about 5 cubes into the sauce.

How's yours coming? Any tips?

-Tony
    Portland, Oregon, USA
    www.pereiracycles.com
    503-333-5043

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lavi View Post
    Tony,

I really like your stuff and I' have just gotten used to you (and almost everyone else) kicking my ass in short track. I almost said hi once at Saraveza, but you looked like you were enjoying your chow too much.

I'm happy to be able to cyberstalk you here.
    I usually enjoy my show too much. Say hi next time. Can't wait for short track! (did I say that already?) It's like cross, but it's fun.
    Portland, Oregon, USA
    www.pereiracycles.com
    503-333-5043

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vulture View Post
    Tony, Glad you are here. By the way. Oscar Rocks, Lucy Rocks, and well, you Rock too. How much has Rapha helped you, personally, business-ly? How are the IRA/TONY bikes going? Also, I have a crush your red/black SS, too bad it wont fit me.
    Thanks Wade. We think you rock too. Hope to see you again soon.
    My relationship with Rapha has been great. Their quality and aesthetic is a great fit for "us" and I've enjoyed working with them. They have exposed my business to an audience that I might not have been able to get to otherwise. I've definitely had people contact me asking for a "Rapha" bike long before the collaboration with Ira. Personally, they've given me a pile of amazing clothing I could never afford to buy and flown me around the country to go on some amazing rides, so that's been good too.
    We started on the first batch of Continental bikes yesterday, so I'll let you know how it's going in a week or two. We are just doing a little prep work now and will go full time on them next week sometime.
    Portland, Oregon, USA
    www.pereiracycles.com
    503-333-5043

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pereiracycles View Post
    Steve,

How's yours coming? Any tips?

-Tony
    homemade Pad Thai, Thai hot to Xtra-Thai hot
    Rice Noodles 1/2 lb or enough for 4 people
    4 garlic cloves, sliced
    2 lg shrimp per person
    1 chicken breast
    2 teaspoon brown sugar
    1 T crushed red pepper
    * OR * - 1/2 cup of cubed, firm tofu instead of Chicken
    2 eggs
    3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons of Fish Sauce
    2 tablespoons of Tamarind Paste, soaked in 2-3 tablespoons of warm water for 10 minutes
    dash each rice vineagre & soy
    1 cup bean sprouts
    4-6 spring onions, green and white parts roughly chopped
    2-3 thai green or serrano peppers, sliced thin

To Garnish:
    One handful of chopped coriander
    1/2 cup crushed peanuts
    2 limes, quartered
    Shredded carrot
    a little fresh bean sprouts

Same cooking sequence as you, but 1st I brown the garlic in the wok with the serranos, add the chicken {cut thin to cook quick}
    when the chicken is almost done {firm tofu is great, too} add the shrimp until pink, then add the eggs & scramble with the meat until firm
    Now, remove the egg/meat mixture, quickly wash the wok, add some peanut oil & then add noodles, fry quickly, a few tosses, then add the spring onions and bean sprouts and your liquid {all liquids mixed + the sugar dissolved in it} and put the egg/meat back in & toss. Serve with Thai garnishes on the side for personal tastes.
    like you said - have your prep good to go as it all takes 5min. tops
    - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by conorb View Post
    Tony,

It's really great to see you here on Smoked Out. Thanks for joining the fray.

Thinking back to 2006/2007 how important was it for you to win those trophies at NAHBS? Do you think it made your career? Started you career? Put you on the map?
    For instance I know of builders that have won awards that didn't see any increase in business, as someone who's been there - what are your thoughts?
    Thanks Conor.
    NAHBS and the awards definitely put me on the map. Hard to say if it "made my career". I'd like to think that my work would have gotten me to the same place eventually. I got a huge stack of orders after the 2007 show. People noticed when I won best road, mountain and fillet all in the same year. There were pictures of my bikes in lots of magazines and blogs around the world. With all the deposits I was able to buy a bunch of tooling and my machines. My wait list went from a few months to over a year, which is why I stopped doing the show. I kinda regret not displaying the last few shows. I think it could have been good for my brand and my bottom line, but I had trouble justifying the expense when I had plenty of work to do.

I don't have much to say about other people's experience with winning awards and not seeing a bump. People went nuts for the two bikes I won the awards for. It might not have mattered that I won the awards. Maybe it was enough to just show up with bikes that turned people on?

Quote Originally Posted by conorb View Post
    Additionally I remember being out at Acme Paint when we were all still getting our paint done there and I was looking at your black and red Mtn. bike, the one that did win the awards I think, and I remember saying to myself, "all that needs is a nice gold pearl." Of course, you don't think that way. You say that you go with what looks "right" to you. Could you discuss your aesthetic choices a bit more? Or influences that are reflected in your choices?
    That's a good example. That bike is an homage to a cruiser from the 1920s. There wasn't any such thing as "gold pearl" back then. To me, that wouldn't have looked right. Don't get me wrong, I've done my share of flashy paint jobs. To me, the paint has to fit the style of the bike.
    Aesthetically, I like to keep things simple. I look at the goals for each project and figure out the best way to make them all work together. This sounds really obvious and I don't know another way to explain it. You have to be good at interpreting what your customer wants and balancing it with what is realistic. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has someone say, "I want a bike I can use to race cross, commute, tour and put fat tires on for some mountain biking, with horizontal dropouts and a derailleur hanger so I can run it singlespeed or fixed and maybe ride some brevets too." Um...sorry, you are going to need more than one bike for that! Trying to build something like that would ride awful, look terrible and probably not fit either.

As for influences, I love motorcycles and cars, furniture and architecture. I can get lost flipping through blogs looking at pictures of great designs. More directly, as I said in my intro, I always loved fillet brazed mountain bikes from the 80s, which is what led me to mostly building with fillets.

Lastly, I build what I like. The Rando bike with the Singer-inspired derailleur, the cruiser bike. Those are just bikes that I was so pumped about that I took the time to grind out the details.

That turned into a bit of a ramble. I hope I answered your question.
    Portland, Oregon, USA
    www.pereiracycles.com
    503-333-5043

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pereiracycles View Post
    You have to be good at interpreting what your customer wants and balancing it with what is realistic. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has someone say, "I want a bike I can use to race cross, commute, tour and put fat tires on for some mountain biking, with horizontal dropouts and a derailleur hanger so I can run it singlespeed or fixed and maybe ride some brevets too." Um...sorry, you are going to need more than one bike for that! Trying to build something like that would ride awful, look terrible and probably not fit either.
    thank you for this atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tony:

Great to see you on here, and to read your story. I think the respect shown here by so many other builders speaks volumes.

I met Tony at the 2006 NAHBS while wandering around the show with a vague desire for a custom 'cross bike, chatting with the builders in their booths and realizing how much I didn't know. After seeing Tony's bikes and, more importantly, chatting with him a while, he had a customer. It took a while to get the bike (I was part of the 2007 post-NAHBS crush Tony mentions above) my Pereira has been my race bike ever since. Even shipped it East for D2R2 last year. Great bike and an even better experience with customer service. Tony deserves all the success he's gotten.

Here's my question for the thread: how detailed do you get with the fitting process? Do you more or less go by experience or are you more formalized with taking measurements for each customer?

/Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Tony,

Love the bikes, especially all the integrated lights and locks. I was looking at the gallery for the Frame Build Sequence and couldn't help but notice the size of your alignment table. Are you still using that one or have you upgraded to a larger size in the new shop? Any major difficulties working with the small table?

Thanks,

Jayme

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast