Likes Likes:  0

Thread: April Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default April Showers

Last night the forecast called for rain and I recalled my resolution to buy a new rain coat. LL Bean had some at decent prices, but I settled on a Patagonia Torrentshell.

It's not going to be on the pages of Selectism anytime soon because it wouldn't look good with a cravat, but I do hope it keeps me dry anyway. Given the general lack of standards in my workplace the Patagonia coat is plenty formal. If it's really raining I'll add some Tingly overshoes and a big black umbrella from Target.

By now I'm sure some of you are cringing. How are you dealing with spring rains without looking like the Michelin Man in a garbage bag? Points for regularly using a solid stick umbrella.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: April Showers

I have a Barbour, which keeps me dry (and is useful on a day like today). I made the mistake of suggesting to my wife several years ago that I wanted one, and we even went to the store to try different models on. I decided not to purchase one but she got me one as a gift later that year. Unfortunately, I don't really care for its boxy construction and I don't expect to be using it for its intended purpose anytime soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell me why you are asking? blink blink.

Daddy needs a tailored Burberry rain coat and my birthday is in April. Hint.

FWIIW we always have an full size metal stick umbrella at home esp. suited for blowing weather dog walks. Big fan of the umbrella here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need a new one, but I was wearing a single breasted fly front Burberry rain coat in black.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just took a look at the Burberry site... who is in charge of fitting these models?! I'm seeing sleeve lengths ranging from way too short to too long. Where they hit appears to be nothing more than luck.

Picture 2.pngPicture 1.png

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Filson has started producing an umbrella.

Gotta give one of these a try when they're in stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I keep a full-length double breasted Burberrys in the office, but most of the time I'm wearing an ArcTeryx over my coat and tie. Not as dashing but GoreTex beats cotton-poly in actual rain.

I also like golf umbrellas, even though I don't play golf. CEOs give you the sly nod on the street. And you could hold a circus under one of those things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Barbour mac in this slideshow is simple, classic, and affordable. Ya can't complain.
    'Parks and Recreation's Adam Scott Shows off the Season's Best Macs: Wear It Now: GQ

I prefer the $2-5 umbrellas for New York City. Its impossible for an umbrella not to get destroyed by the wind here, or not to get lost or stolen whenever you set it down. A large, sturdy umbrella with a wood handle is nice, but its a waste of money here. Besides, have you tried walking down the sidewalk in New York when its raining? I wouldn't mind if the city just outlawed them altogether. Anyone over 6' is going to be wet from the shins down, anyway.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright