Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Watchstraps

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Watchstraps

Fitted an elastic Nato on the black A2T and a green webbing Nato on the older one

Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm digging the Barton canvas straps, I have two, both the khaki color, 20mm and 22mm. They're stiff but have memory, so bend them to shape and they hold that shape. Makes them super comfy on wrist. They're all canvas, no leather on the underside like some brands. Durability is TBD. They have quick release spring bars, and if you remove those there is enough room to fit the fat Seiko springbars.

This is almost brand new, like put it on once for a minute, so after wearing it for a day it's got the memory/curve to it.

Last edited by dgaddis; 05-22-2020 at 07:58 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    I'm digging the Barton canvas straps, I have two, both the khaki color, 20mm and 22mm. They're stiff but have memory, so bend them to shape and they hold that shape. Makes them super comfy on wrist. They're all canvas, no leather on the underside like some brands. Durability is TBD. They have quick release spring bars, and if you remove those there is enough room to fit the fat Seiko springbars.
    hey dustin - what springbar tool is that you have there? i just broke my old cheap one and that one looks pretty well made?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    hey dustin - what springbar tool is that you have there? i just broke my old cheap one and that one looks pretty well made?
    You want the Bergeon 6767 (F or S depending on your needs)
    Bergeon 6767-F Spring Bar Tool Review

Or go full on custom fabricated:
    baughblabs Spring Bar Tool

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got it from BluShark (the nato strap company) when I ordered a bunch of straps, it was a 'free gift'. I've seen very similar ones on Amazon and parts of cheap kits. I think it's a fairly cheap one, but, it does seem pretty well made. The little fork is evenly ground and doesn't have a burr on it like some super cheap ones I've received.

If I were going to buy a tool, I'd just spring for a good one like NYCFixie linked to.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got it from BluShark (the nato strap company) when I ordered a bunch of straps, it was a 'free gift'. I've seen very similar ones on Amazon and parts of cheap kits. I think it's a fairly cheap one, but, it does seem pretty well made. The little fork is evenly ground and doesn't have a burr on it like some super cheap ones I've received.

If I were going to buy a tool, I'd just spring for a good one like NYCFixie linked to.
    I see what you did there.

I think what gets lost some times is that the ends are meant to be replaceable because they are consumables; they will break and/or wear over time. So for me, it was a matter of finding a tool that accepts the Bergeon replacement ends and feels good in the hand.

I originally had the Bergeon 6767 but found it too thin "in the hand" when working with it.
    I now have the Bergeon 7767 which has a thicker barrel and has been more comfortable for me.

I would have bought the baughblabs but every time I go to his site it is back-ordered so I don't actually order it. It's funny because if I had actually placed the order months ago I would probably have one by now. I really like his new travel version so maybe that is the one I'll get. And, he makes pens too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks guys - going to order one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    You want the Bergeon 6767 (F or S depending on your needs)
    Bergeon 6767-F Spring Bar Tool Review
    I've got this one. It works. I don't know the reality, but it strikes me as the Park Tools version. I wish the forked end was flatter. Feels good in the hand, though.
    Last edited by dashDustin; 05-22-2020 at 10:14 AM.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So that Tudor BBB I traded for came with the fabric strap. I see why people dig these things. Really, really nice.

But...I cannot for the life of me get the smell of sweat out. Very faint, but there...probably only to me. I'm hoping I can get it out with a white vinegar soak. I've already washed it twice. Never had that issue with any other fabric straps. If the ol vinegar soak doesn't work, I'll be trying out one of the Crown & Buckle Chevron straps...and will likely order up another of the B & R Waterproof straps.

Put the bracelet on the Exp 2. I'm thinking it'll live on the bracelet from here on out.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am in need of some good advice and recommendations from my watch pals here.

I bought the titanium cased citizen below specifically to wear when riding my bike and doing other adventurous things because the case is lighter than steel, and can take a beating. i've been wearing it all the time, including lots of riding, both on and off road. Last weekend though, i was on a particularly rough gravel descent, bouncing around pretty hard, and the spring bar gave way and the watch ejected from my wrist. Fortunately i saw this, backtracked 100 feet and retrieved the watch. This watch takes a standard 22mm strap and the lugs are not drilled.

I was thinking i need maybe heavier duty spring bars? I was also thinking of shoulderless spring bars, but without the lugs being drilled, i dont know how i would get the spring bars out.

I hate regular nato straps, as i dont like the extra height of a full length strap, and want the case itself against my wrist, so i usually opt for a regular band, or a 2-piece nato.

Any thoughts about a more secure spring bar/strap system? I'm back to wearing my suunto for riding duty, but i'd like to get this thing back up and running.

help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It says Diver's 200M on the dial so I assume it's an ISO certified dive watch, which means it already has heavy duty spring bars that are designed for at least 44lbs of pull out strength (great vid from Marc below). Seiko has their 'fat' 2.5mm spring bars. My Citizen diver uses a 'skinny fat' style spring bar that has fatter than normal ends (like the Seiko bars) that fit into the lugs, but fairly standard diameter middle section.

So...I don't know that other spring bars are the answer. Maybe try some Seiko style bars.

A NATO is the best solution, obviously, because even if a spring bar lets loose you don't loose the watch. Cutting the keeper off to make it single pass will reduce the extra height, I do this to all of mine, and most of mine I also trim shorter so there's no fold over bit, and it just makes the whole package lighter and slimmer. I know BluShark sells some thinner straps.

Other than that, maybe a silicone strap that has some stetchyness would reduce the stress on the spring bars. I'm a fan of the Barton Elite silicone straps, but you don't want to use the Barton quick release spring bars 'cause they have skinny ends that won't fit well in the holes in the lugs for the fat ISO certified spring bars. Fat Seiko spring bars will not fit in the Barton silicone straps, but 'skinny fat' style aftermarket spring bars (ToxicNato sells some) as well as the factory Citizen spring bars (on mine at least) will fit nicely.

How tight to do you wear the watch? I would think keeping it somewhat snug would probably help so it won't be bouncing around, though obviously that can be a comfort issue. One of the elastic style NATO straps may be a good option too.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Dustin, that's good information about the heavy duty spring bars already installed. I think part of the problem might have been that i had been using a Garmin style quick band, which clamps to the spring bar, as opposed to having the bar threaded through it. i think the fit may have been a bit sloppy and lead to the undue stress. In any event i lost one of the spring bars in the incident. Let see what i can dig up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How tight to do you wear the watch? I would think keeping it somewhat snug would probably help so it won't be bouncing around, though obviously that can be a comfort issue. One of the elastic style NATO straps may be a good option too.
    I would think the exact opposite and start out with it a bit looser. As arms/wrists swell due to sweating and temperature rise, the watch will only get tighter on the wrist.

I do agree that a silicone strap with some give might be the answer (in addition to the spring bar info above).

My favorite two-piece (and non-seiko branded) silicone strap:
    BluShark Silicone Rally watch strap

My favorite Seiko rubber strap:
    SEIKO 22MM RUBBER DIVE STRAP
    SEIKO 20MM OEM SOFT PLIABLE RUBBER DIVE STRAP

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That blueshark one looks good!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That blueshark one looks good!
    oh, but it looks like they come pre-loaded with wimpy looking spring bars. no go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At this point, I think I've ordered at least 15 sets of springbars from ToxicNatos (now Ute Watch Co). I've had bars pop off twice - once I was using the wrong width, and the 2nd time, I believe it was because I was using a a .8mm tip in a Seiko, which is 1.1mm. I've now pretty much converted everything to 1 or 1.1mm x 1.78 (if it'll fit...these would be considered Slim Fat by Toxic). Haven't had any issues since.

Toxic also has a nice rubber strap that I'm a fan of. Pretty much a fan of everything that guy makes. And I'm rather surprised at the differences in springbar quality. Toxics are definitely very well made. And cheap enough that you can order 1.1, 1, and .9mm bars to see which best fit those lugs.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    At this point, I think I've ordered at least 15 sets of springbars from ToxicNatos (now Ute Watch Co). I've had bars pop off twice - once I was using the wrong width, and the 2nd time, I believe it was because I was using a a .8mm tip in a Seiko, which is 1.1mm. I've now pretty much converted everything to 1 or 1.1mm x 1.78 (if it'll fit...these would be considered Slim Fat by Toxic). Haven't had any issues since.

Toxic also has a nice rubber strap that I'm a fan of. Pretty much a fan of everything that guy makes. And I'm rather surprised at the differences in springbar quality. Toxics are definitely very well made. And cheap enough that you can order 1.1, 1, and .9mm bars to see which best fit those lugs.
    i'm getting an error message trying to access that site? do you have a link that works per chance?

https://www.utewatchco.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm getting an error message trying to access that site? do you have a link that works per chance?

https://www.utewatchco.com/
    No, and I was seeing the same thing. Figures...talk it up, then the site dies. I assume it'll be back shortly, though. He had a July 4th sale going on...
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh, but it looks like they come pre-loaded with wimpy looking spring bars. no go.
    You can remove the quick release spring bar and use whatever bar you want. That's how I fit my Citizen bars into a Barton strap ::

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Erika's MN strap. Close to the wrist, some nato-esque security and the flexibility that the strap will be flexing, not adding stress to the spring bars.