Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Watchstraps

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Watchstraps

i like the light brown Hirsch strap. i have one on the go and another in reserve. They do start looking a little, dare I say it, orange, but they fairly quickly calm down and take on some patina well before they are worn out. not too expensive either. regards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

season's about to start for real. what's my best best for watchband that won't get funky, and isn't metal? i tried natos a couple times last year, and...i didn't like. rubber?
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    season's about to start for real. what's my best best for watchband that won't get funky, and isn't metal? i tried natos a couple times last year, and...i didn't like. rubber?
    Sailcloth. Hard-wearing, too. I'm quite pleased with the one I got from B & R Bands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alexstar View Post
    Sailcloth. Hard-wearing, too. I'm quite pleased with the one I got from B & R Bands.
    I keep seeing sailcloth that ends up being leather lined. Do these have the leather lining? Didn’t look like it but want to make sure. Looks good, so if no leather lining, that might be a contender.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like the Barton Elite Silicone straps, I just ordered two more actually in different colors. Super soft and light and the keyed keeper is genius!
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you like rubber, my favorites are the Isofrane style from Borealis($30 shipped) or one of the Bonetto Cinturini natural rubber options with a folding clasp. Both are natural rubber so they develop memory and conform to your wrist over time and they don't collect lint and dust. They smell like vanilla too, if that is your thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sailcloth is nice. I have one for my Yema. It did develop some cracks across flex points the way leather sometimes will. I just got another one, a DaLuca NATO...which is the best NATO I have ever encountered. You should try to set eyes on a DaLuca before giving up on NATO straps. They are durable and look better than any other I have seen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    I just got another one, a DaLuca NATO...which is the best NATO I have ever encountered. You should try to set eyes on a DaLuca before giving up on NATO straps. They are durable and look better than any other I have seen.
    Dalucas are awesome. I think I've got 3 of them.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Green Barton Elite on my Citizen. This combo totally disappears on the wrist weighing in at only 57g.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Green Barton Elite on my Citizen. This combo totally disappears on the wrist weighing in at only 57g.

That is a fantastic looking piece! Titanium case, Eco Drive and a rubber strap makes that a fantastic field watch or a go anywhere, do anything watch. Looks like the strap has some curve to it. Did it come molded that way or has it conformed to your wrist? I have never had a silicone strap develop memory like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is what I am wearing today:
    2020-03-06_09-18-07 by Owen Dow, on Flickr
    2020-03-06_09-18-21 by Owen Dow, on Flickr

This is a custom Nero calf strap. It is a touch thick for this watch but it has molded itself to my wrist so well that I don't want to change it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i really like those Barton straps, and the price is right! man, that green one on my Kermit would be killer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by houston View Post
    That is a fantastic looking piece! Titanium case, Eco Drive and a rubber strap makes that a fantastic field watch or a go anywhere, do anything watch. Looks like the strap has some curve to it. Did it come molded that way or has it conformed to your wrist? I have never had a silicone strap develop memory like that.
    They come like that with a bit of a curve at the lugs, and you're correct in that they don't develop memory, but they're so supple it doesn't matter. Some people complain they're too thin, and for a thick heavier steel watch (like a dive watch) I can see that, but for a light weight watch like mine I love the thinness. Super supple and soft and comfy. And the hole at the end of the strap and keeper w/the tooth that fits in that hole - genius!!!

And they're only $20.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My old Nixon bit the dust so I picked up a Vaer, one of the cheaper ones not the auto. It came with a couple NATO straps which are decent but I also added this Centric one which has a little elastic built in. I think they’re called French paratrooper style.
    Liking it so far.

IMG_7849.jpg
    Last edited by robin3mj; 03-06-2020 at 10:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got a Hirsch Performance Ayrton (faux carbon look).

Can’t do it. I think it’s the faux carbon that kills it. Not a fan. Not a fan at all. Ordered one of the waterproof bands from BandR. We’ll see how that goes. If that doesn’t work out, I’ll re-up with an Hirsch Robby.

Holden’s Fine Watch Bands has some good stuff. That’s where I got the Ayrton, as well as a leather strap from a brand called Fluco.

I’ve also ordered some deployants from RHD deployant clasps in stainless steel 16, 18, 20 and 22 mm and am very pleased. 3 so far.
    Last edited by dashDustin; 05-07-2020 at 09:00 PM.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those of us cursed to never stop loving seiko landmasters and anything grand seiko, what are you go-to spots for supple, high-quality NATOs in 19mm? I was all set to give blushark a try but they don't seem to deal with 19mm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can trim rubber ones pretty easily, while 20mm canvas ones will eventually scrunch up a little so shouldn't be a problem.
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the everyday-beater is a Ga-800 which has Nato strap adapters. Those are sold as "22mm size strap" but in reality they would need a 24mm.
    I have a few 22mm rubber ones, three more watches use that size, which I like because are very soft so they can wrap the odd size and shape of my wrist. But I can't find rubber straps like that in 24mm, and why should I buy more straps?

So does anyone have a source for 22mm Nato strap adapters (on 16mm lug) that are TRUE to size? All the ones I've got, from various sources, are very inconsistent!
    Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    So the everyday-beater is a Ga-800 which has Nato strap adapters. Those are sold as "22mm size strap" but in reality they would need a 24mm.
    I have a few 22mm rubber ones, three more watches use that size, which I like because are very soft so they can wrap the odd size and shape of my wrist. But I can't find rubber straps like that in 24mm, and why should I buy more straps?

So does anyone have a source for 22mm Nato strap adapters (on 16mm lug) that are TRUE to size? All the ones I've got, from various sources, are very inconsistent!
    Thanks in advance

Look up Jays & Kays adapters. I’ve had some for the squares and they were true to size (I got the 20mm ones tho) and fit perfectly. Annoyingly they don’t have a website, they use Etsy.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could swallow their price being 1/3 of the watch, but they seem to have closed the Etsy shop?