Thread: Watchstraps

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Watchstraps

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    What did you just do to me? I already have a watch strap problem.
    I am a monster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just ordered one of these for my bronze TC-9 1970s diver. I'm a little concerned about the bulk of all the rings on the zulu style, but maybe it will be a non issue. If someone has any idea where I can find a traditional NATO with bronze hardware I'd be all over it.

The Infantry Z3™ Ballistic Nylon Strap w/ BRONZE Hardware (Stitched) 2

Nato w bronze.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rm--my maratac natos look to be about the same bulk, and I only really notice it when I'm wearing certain long sleeve sweaters. I purchased a few zulu straps for long sleeve season.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So my slip down the automatic watch and strap wormhole has begun.

The Blue NATO is a BluShark regular. Matches the dial nicely, but should have done the black hardware option.

3-Ring bronze hardware zulu from Nato Strap Co in New York:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep I do like the NATOs. At first the do feel bulky than they wear in and all is well.

Mabouya, the lead for Nick is outtasight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    I'm a little concerned about the bulk of all the rings on the zulu style, but maybe it will be a non issue.
    I have a no-name strap on my Seiko 5 with similar-looking hardware, but because two keepers are relatively tight in the strap they stay folded, don'f flop around, and don't catch on anything. (obviously the one that forms the body of the buckle can't flip up, so that can't be a problem at all) I don't notice them at all, and they're a total non-issue. Hopefully yours will work out too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    I have a no-name strap on my Seiko 5 with similar-looking hardware, but because two keepers are relatively tight in the strap they stay folded, don'f flop around, and don't catch on anything. (obviously the one that forms the body of the buckle can't flip up, so that can't be a problem at all) I don't notice them at all, and they're a total non-issue. Hopefully yours will work out too.
    You nailed it, both straps are great and it is a non-issue.

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    I've become a sucker for Marine Nationale straps, particularly Erika's MN Straps, over NATO or Zulus. Great stuff and stupid comfortable.

You were NOT kidding. It was pricey, but having the watch fit just right is priceless. Anybody want some NATOS on the cheap? This MN is never coming off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You were NOT kidding. It was pricey, but having the watch fit just right is priceless. Anybody want some NATOS on the cheap? This MN is never coming off.

That's awesome and glad you're happy with it. The brass buckle option looks killer. Which watch is that? That's an awesome bronze homage to a Seiko 6105.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's awesome and glad you're happy with it. The brass buckle option looks killer. Which watch is that? That's an awesome bronze homage to a Seiko 6105.
    Thats kinda sorta exactly what it is. Seiko NH35A Movement in a bronze body. From a microbrand named TC-9. Check out Monteur Horloges on Instagram for the next level stuff. Was tipped off about him by Carlos Ruiz on Matt Farah's watch podcast.

Ridwan Watchmaker (@monteurhorloges) • Instagram photos and videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got mine - black with silver hardware and the glow-in-the-dark stitch. The glow is not so powerful, but it has a silliness factor that I like. The fit is good, but I wasn't expecting a stretch band. I read the info fairly closely, but given the design, the stretch aspect makes sense. So it isn't really a woven nylon band but a strip of the sort of stretchy material used on a Blundstone boot. Doesn't look like elastic so that's good. I don't take my watch off - that's why I got a divers watch rated to 300m - so we'll see how it does getting soaked on a daily basis.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...Was tipped off about him by Carlos Ruiz on Matt Farah's watch podcast.

Ridwan Watchmaker (@monteurhorloges) • Instagram photos and videos
    All I heard on that podcast (actually watched the youtube video) was Rolex, Rolex, Rolex but that is why I watched that episode.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    All I heard on that podcast (actually watched the youtube video) was Rolex, Rolex, Rolex but that is why I watched that episode.
    Chef Carlos kills me. In a good way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The watch, not at all. But the strap, definitely yes.

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 4.43.50 PM.jpg
    Evan Marks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I got mine - black with silver hardware and the glow-in-the-dark stitch. The glow is not so powerful, but it has a silliness factor that I like. The fit is good, but I wasn't expecting a stretch band. I read the info fairly closely, but given the design, the stretch aspect makes sense. So it isn't really a woven nylon band but a strip of the sort of stretchy material used on a Blundstone boot. Doesn't look like elastic so that's good. I don't take my watch off - that's why I got a divers watch rated to 300m - so we'll see how it does getting soaked on a daily basis.
    We shall see how long I can (if I can) hold off before buying the navy trident model to match the dial on that bronze watch. I really wanted the original colored band (green w/yellow stripe), but even as a fashion challenged engineer I realize that too many different colors is too many different colors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got a Hirsch leather strap for my Grand Seiko. As gorgeous as the bracelet was, this is just more comfortable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never liked metal bracelets. They just pull at your arm hair, which I have plenty of.

FWIW I bought three NATO straps from NATO Strap Co. for about $20 shipped for all three. Quality appears to be great. Their naming system and website kinda sucks, they give a unique name to each individual color variant of the same strap design, which is dumb IMO. If I were doing it I'd give each style a name, and then offer multiple color options for that style. A white F150 and a red F150 are both still F150's, know what I mean?

All three I got were this style The Brigade Ballistic Nylon Strap w/ Polished Hardware (Stitched) 18mm

EDIT to add :: Can anyone explain to me why anyone would ever buy a $160 nylon NATO strap when you can get good quality nylon NATO straps for less than $15 all over the internet? Dark brown polyester strap Nato Straps - 31CWZ7566w | OMEGA(R)
    Last edited by dgaddis; 02-14-2019 at 09:02 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    EDIT to add :: Can anyone explain to me why anyone would ever buy a $160 nylon NATO strap when you can get good quality nylon NATO straps for less than $15 all over the internet? Dark brown polyester strap Nato Straps - 31CWZ7566w | OMEGA(R)
    Not all nylons are the same. Not all construction is the same. I have some cheap NATOs and they're fine, but they pale in comparison to the nylon strap that came on my Tudor in terms of comfort.

It's also worth noting that the same applies to metal bracelets. Some bracelets have stiff pivots and designs that will catch arm hair and others are incredibly comfortable and never catch hair or skin. The attention to design and wearability is part of why some luxury watches command a higher price. It ain't cheap to sweat those details.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Not all nylons are the same. Not all construction is the same. I have some cheap NATOs and they're fine, but they pale in comparison to the nylon strap that came on my Tudor in terms of comfort.

It's also worth noting that the same applies to metal bracelets. Some bracelets have stiff pivots and designs that will catch arm hair and others are incredibly comfortable and never catch hair or skin. The attention to design and wearability is part of why some luxury watches command a higher price. It ain't cheap to sweat those details.
    This was my experience. My Grand Seiko bracelet is generally absurdly comfortable. But where it rests on my wrist and how I spend most of my day klacking away at a keyboard let to some uncomfortable pressure points on the underside of my wrist from the bracelet. When I'm outside being a a keyboard drone, its phenomenally comfortable. But since I spend 8-10 hours, 5 days a week at the desk, something had to give. It's nice to have options anyways.

But your point is spot on. Even the quality of bracelet within Seiko varies incredibly widely across their range of models and price points. The expensive stuff is, not always, but generally better made and more comfortable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was my experience. My Grand Seiko bracelet is generally absurdly comfortable. But where it rests on my wrist and how I spend most of my day klacking away at a keyboard let to some uncomfortable pressure points on the underside of my wrist from the bracelet. When I'm outside being a a keyboard drone, its phenomenally comfortable. But since I spend 8-10 hours, 5 days a week at the desk, something had to give. It's nice to have options anyways.

But your point is spot on. Even the quality of bracelet within Seiko varies incredibly widely across their range of models and price points. The expensive stuff is, not always, but generally better made and more comfortable.
    I usually slide my watch up my wrist a bit so it doesn't press against the keyboard when typing. But everyone's different in what works for them and the situation. I regularly wear watches on nylon or leather, both of which are very comfortable. I think the important thing to keep in mind, which you touched on as well, is that there are elements of design and construction that go into why some products are more expensive than others. It's not all branding and logos. If you ever get a chance, get your hands on the Glidelock clasp on a Rolex Sea Dweller or Deepsea. You can watch videos or read about it, but feeling the precision and quality in person is a different thing. For most people it's not worth the money, and that's totally cool and completely understandable. Rational, even. But that clasp alone is impressive beyond almost anything I've seen on another watch. A clasp is not a clasp, just as a bracelet, strap, etc. is not a...