Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Autos thread spin-off -- Convince me this is stupid

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Autos thread spin-off -- Convince me this is stupid

By all reports, the new 2011 and newer Mustangs are incredible cars. The V8 GTs make 412hp bone stock, and for roughly $38k, you get a car that will run around a racetrack with a $65k BMW M3. Do I have your attention yet?

Now, the V6 iteration of the Mustang makes 305hp, gets a (stunning) 31mpg, and is essentially the same car as the GT (minus 2 cylinders and a shorter rear end). Handling-wise, the stock models are effectively identical. And the MSRP starts at about $22k.

So here's the idea that keeps floating around in my head: Why not buy a used V6, bolt on a supercharger, make some cheap handling, exhaust and braking mods, and build a shoestring supercar? For around $30K, you'd have a car that makes nearly 500hp, weighs less than the GT, gets great gas mileage, handles like it should, and would run around a track (or curvy road) with cars that cost three times as much.

So my challenge to the VSalon is this: Convince me this a dumb idea. If your reasoning boils down to "I just don't like Mustangs," (a) that's fine but I disagree with you, (b) Steve McQueen would like a word, and (c) what do you like better at that price range?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Autos thread spin-off -- Convince me this is stupid

1) A supercharged V6 is not a V8.
    2) Is the suspension the same on the V6 as on the GT? I just read C&D's review of the Boss yesterday, and they loved the subtle suspension differences between the Boss & GT. (Uh, I just went & located their review of the V6. They really, really like how it handles. Never mind...)
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only thing I can come up with- and I'm sorry for this- is that the interior of the modern Mustang is still a modern Ford interior. Can you really get excited about driving while sitting in that?
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think 500hp for 30K might be optimistic, but I like what you are thinking. How much does a supercharger weigh? If you wind up adding 150lbs to the front end it may not be worth it.

Edit - Chase, gut the interior to save weight?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    1) A supercharged V6 is not a V8.
    Absolutely right. But for the money? And without the weight and fuel efficiency penalties? Pretty damn appealing, at least to me.

2) Is the suspension the same on the V6 as on the GT? I just read C&D's review of the Boss yesterday, and they loved the subtle suspension differences between the Boss & GT. (Uh, I just went & located their review of the V6. They really, really like how it handles. Never mind...)
    That's part of what's so appealing about it. Everyone who's driven it raved about how it handles.

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    The only thing I can come up with- and I'm sorry for this- is that the interior of the modern Mustang is still a modern Ford interior. Can you really get excited about driving while sitting in that?
    The finishes on the new cars are muuuuuch better than the box-o-plastic looks on Mustangs of the recent past. I realize this isn't what you get on the $22k car, but to my eye, this is a reasonably attractive interior:
    mustang.gif
    I've piddled around the neighborhood in one, and it's striking how well they're made, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    I think 500hp for 30K might be optimistic, but I like what you are thinking. How much does a supercharger weigh? If you wind up adding 150lbs to the front end it may not be worth it.

Edit - Chase, gut the interior to save weight?
    These guys are claiming that a supercharged V6 generates 475 at the flywheel, and you can always eke out a few more with a freer exhaust, etc. That's where I got "nearly 500hp."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why a supercharger and not a turbo? Maybe it's just my background (way back) in working on drag racing turbo cars that make me think exhaust- over belt-driven forced air induction.

I did some work back in high school on Buick Grand National/GNX/T-Type/Turbo T's and Pontiac Turbo Trans-Ams and attended the nationals in Bowling Green, Kentucky one year. By leaning out the fuel pressure regulator and upping the boost a bit, there were guys there who had driven their cars as much as half-way across the country, experienced 30+ miles per gallon in fuel economy, made some adjustments at the track, and then ran low-10-second 1/4 mile times. Pretty awesome.

Also, the 1986 Buick Grand National, with its turbocharged and intercooled 3.8L V6, was the fastest out-of-the-box American production car until the Corvette ZR1 came out, and then that was topped by the Viper, and now, well I don't know anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EddieBirdsell View Post
    Why a supercharger and not a turbo? Maybe it's just my background (way back) in working on drag racing turbo cars that make me think exhaust- over belt-driven forced air induction.
    A fair question. Basically, it's because even though this is effectively a Euro-style high-rpm setup, I still like the low-end punch that you don't get from a turbo. I feel like it's consistent with the car's muscle-car nature.

Also, the 1986 Buick Grand National, with its turbocharged and intercooled 3.8L V6, was the fastest out-of-the-box American production car until the Corvette ZR1 came out, and then that was topped by the Viper, and now, well I don't know anymore.
    If it's not the new ZR1 or some Viper variant, maybe it's the Ford GT? For a while at least, a heavily-modded GT held the standing mile record. As in, faster than a Veyron.

Not to go all Bill Clinton on you, but it really depends on how you define "fastest" and "stock." ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to be the forum's hippie or anything, but 22K is ten custom frames with infinite mpg and 0 emissions. AllsI'msayin'.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These guys are claiming that a supercharged V6 generates 475 at the flywheel, and you can always eke out a few more with a freer exhaust, etc. That's where I got "nearly 500hp."[/QUOTE]

So about 400 to the ground? Nothing to sneeze at. I see you're not a turbo guy, but for 30K the counterpoint is a 335 with a chip, exhaust, and light suspension work. Probably about 350 on the ground in a much more attractive overall package, at least to my eye.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    Not to be the forum's hippie or anything, but 22K is ten custom frames with infinite mpg and 0 emissions. AllsI'msayin'.
    Not to be the forum's nitpicking didact, but riding a bike is not an infinite mpg/0 emission activity. The food you eat - the "fuel" for the bike - requires energy to get it to you, to prepare, and to dispose of the waste. Not to mention that the clothes you wear are made of sweet, sweet petroleum. It's surely less than driving a car, but everything has costs.

And besides, cars are way better in the rain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    So about 400 to the ground? Nothing to sneeze at. I see you're not a turbo guy, but for 30K the counterpoint is a 335 with a chip, exhaust, and light suspension work. Probably about 350 on the ground in a much more attractive overall package, at least to my eye.
    The site I linked was claiming 427rwhp, if I remember correctly.

Where are you finding a modded 335i for $30K? That would have to be the bro deal to end all bro deals, or a 10-year old car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Not to be the forum's nitpicking didact, but riding a bike is not an infinite mpg/0 emission activity. The food you eat - the "fuel" for the bike - requires energy to get it to you, to prepare, and to dispose of the waste. Not to mention that the clothes you wear are made of sweet, sweet petroleum. It's surely less than driving a car, but everything has costs.

And besides, cars are way better in the rain.
    Another case of I shoulda added a winky-face thing. All that goes without saying (well, it should, anyway).

Sincerely,
    Chase "Works for the Saudi Royal Family and Profits from Oil Dependency" Anderson
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've driven a few different versions of the new Mustang (NA and SC V8's) and no offense - but I really dislike it. It's quick in a straight line and would be nice for road trips but as a sporting car I find it to be way too big (it's a huge car) and way too heavy and IMO this sucks the joy out of driving it.

If you want a cruiser that will lay streaks then it's fun. If you want to autocross/trackday the car or take it out on twisty roads and have fun then I think you will find it lacking.

Just my 2 cents.

dave
    D. Kirk
    Kirk Frameworks Co.
    www.kirkframeworks.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dave, understood. As a matter of personal preference, I've grown up in total, frothing, head-over-heels, messy-poetry-at-1:00-a.m. love with RWD cars with tons of horsepower. (My first real car was a 1967 Pontiac LeMans with the 326.) Which is not to say that light, flickable cars aren't great, but the things about the car that bother you wouldn't bother me a whit. I'm not a racer. I'm a fun-hog, a hoon. If you drew a Venn diagram of the things that make for fast lap times and the things that make for pee-pants fun driving, the two have lots of overlap but don't intersect perfectly in my book. So I get what you're saying, but don't share your qualms.

FWIW, my best friend is firmly in your camp. We've had about a thousand beers' worth of this discussion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Dave, understood. As a matter of personal preference, I've grown up in total, frothing, head-over-heels, messy-poetry-at-1:00-a.m. love with RWD cars with tons of horsepower. (My first real car was a 1967 Pontiac LeMans with the 326.) Which is not to say that light, flickable cars aren't great, but the things about the car that bother you wouldn't bother me a whit. I'm not a racer. I'm a fun-hog, a hoon. If you drew a Venn diagram of the things that make for fast lap times and the things that make for pee-pants fun driving, the two have lots of overlap but don't intersect perfectly in my book. So I get what you're saying, but don't share your qualms.

FWIW, my best friend is firmly in your camp. We've had about a thousand beers' worth of this discussion.
    Sounds very good. Have fun!

dave
    D. Kirk
    Kirk Frameworks Co.
    www.kirkframeworks.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go to your local sorority parking lot with you in your V6 and a buddy in tue GT/Boss. Turn them both on. See which one the girls come to. The V6 is nice. A Boss is monkey sex. Remember you're also talking future potential. Given that, a well sorted V6 would probably make a better track car. For a cheap ass hOon ass racecar/streetcar I don't think you can beat a used Z06.
    Insubordinate. And Churlish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by quickag View Post
    Go to your local sorority parking lot with you in your V6 and a buddy in tue GT/Boss. Turn them both on. See which one the girls c
    I do love the sound of a big V8. But I can get more ass on a pair of My Little Pony rollerskates than most dudes could in a 458 Italia. So I ain't worried.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dig this plan as virtually every car i've driven with more than 400hp was a fucking blast to drive

to me, the only problem with the modern mustang is a lack of flavor. no interest in trying to get some horsepower in an old mustang, or a 67 chevelle with room in the trunk for the dead bodies? these cars are both crazy fun to smoke off the line AND they look good around town.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marcelia, I see your point about steez, but for a car I would drive every day, fuel injection, modern suspension, power windows, good brakes, 3-point seatbelts, a CD player, cabin insulation, and the ability not to fool with a lead substitute in the gas are going to to carry the day every time for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's no real use screwing around. Buy This, then plus this Awesome ProCharger Kit on it. Yeah, it costs more, but I'm pretty sure you can just outrun any debt you accumulate when you can go 200 mph.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast