User Tag List

Page 301 of 350 FirstFirst ... 291292293294295296297298299300301302303304305306307308309310311 ... LastLast
Results 6,001 to 6,020 of 6992

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Was it going around a corner, and was one of the rear wheels off the ground?
    There is so much suspension travel and sag on those things and so little grip on the tires you'd get sick before you get the rear to wheel lift.

--
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ good to know, for some reason my standard mental image of those cars is 3-wheel cornering
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I went down for a bike ride, I find my neighbor has taken delivery of another ferrari.

296 GTB Assetto Fiorano

His FF is under the red cover.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had our Mach-e or about a week so far. It's fine. Fast enough, but the low speed ride is fairly harsh. Every encounter with a speed bump in my neighborhood sends everything in the rear for a little vertical ride. This one is AWD with the small battery, about 210 mile max range (highway driving this weekend used 130 miles of range for a 100 mile drive between 70-75 mph, so I had to recharge at the destination before the return home). Folks that haven't had seat time in a Tesla Performance Model or Porsche Taycan find it to be entertainingly fast, but it's no rocket.

The Electrify America experience is an uneven one.

I've charged about 4-5 times at this particular charger over the past week. 4 of the 5 times have been "discounted" to free. Saturday I was actually charged the $.43/kWh rate. I've heard that when communication to the mother ship goes down that EA just defaults to free charging? If that's the case they sure do lose it a lot. I charged in Kalamazoo at EA on Saturday night and that turned out to be free as well (we have used up the factory allotted free 250kw charging volume, so that's not it). At least they are defaulting to free when something goes wrong. Planning a whole trip around an advertised charge spot and having it not working would be a HUGE inconvenience obviously, so kudos to EA for their fail-safe.

mach e charging.jpg
    Charging speed is also a crap shoot. I think this car will take up to 115 kW charge rate, but I've not seen over 100 at any of the EA chargers I've tried (most are rated at 150kW). Even the supposed 350kW unit in Kalamazoo was just good for about 70kW. Good thing I waited until after my event to do this, because it took quite a bit longer than I was expecting. I was the only person at the chargers, so this wasn't a shared use issue.

Needless to say, the Tesla Supercharger network is a much more consistent experience in terms of paying/speeds/etc.

There is also a whole social scene around the chargers as well. Some sit inside and read or browse their phone, but most are happy to linger outside and swap stories of live with EVs. The Rivian parked there on Saturday morning attracted a small crowd of Ford and Chevy pickup truck drivers to ogle his rig. That was interesting. Unlike the Tesla chargers, there is always a variety of different cars to discuss.

Anyway, I'm still a big fan of the EV driving experience but public charging is still something that requires patience and flexibility.

RP

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had similar experiences. I have only had to charge my EV outside the house once and EA didn't charge me for the electricity. When I parked at the charger at a Walmart in southern Indianapolis there was an F150 Lightning there that I got to check out. Me and the owner shot the shit while I got my charge up to about 65% pretty quickly at the 350kW charger. For the rest of my trip there was a Tesla destination charger at Brown County State Park that I used with an adapter. That was slow but I was able to leave it there all morning and come back to a topped off battery. I was worried about hogging the charger but there are three of them and I never saw anyone else plugged in. I left my house charged to 100% and drove for about 12 hours total. I never paid for any of my charging stops. One stop was fun, the rest were super easy and convenient. I was nervous about the trip because there are zero chargers in the two towns near the park entrance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reports. This particular bottleneck seems to be emerging as an area that needs attention STAT.

And it's coming, isn't it? By the time I next buy a car in, hmm, 2033-35 we should be in good shape infrastructurally.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Thanks for the reports. This particular bottleneck seems to be emerging as an area that needs attention STAT.

And it's coming, isn't it? By the time I next buy a car in, hmm, 2033-35 we should be in good shape infrastructurally.
    The future is today.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    The future is today.

When I was a kid, 13/14yrs old, about 55yrs ago, I used to ride on the last of the electric bus service in Chicago. They ran on this system, were quiet and accelerated like a rocket. I enjoyed those rides.

The South Shore Line, RailRoad Commuter, runs on the same system from South Bend, In. to Chicago, Il., but I never rode it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The future is today.

Is that photo from Tampa?
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given the plates, i’d think somewhere in the EU.

I don’t see the purpose of this mode of transportation (AC power via pantograph to trucks), especially not in the EU. Surely the existing rail network does pretty much just this, and the last mile delivery could be handled by battery powered vehicle?

ETA. It’s A5 autobahn near Frankfurt. 10 km in length, and it seems to be for on-the-go charging.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/9/18...-hybrid-trucks

Siemens E-Mobility, German Gov and Volkswagen via their Scania Subsid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/9/18...-hybrid-trucks

Siemens E-Mobility, German Gov and Volkswagen via their Scania Subsid.
    Yeah, I thought it was kind of interesting. Of course, if you put one in the US of A, there'd be a guy climbing the pole to try to jump start his cranky Ford F100. Bizzapp!
    Last edited by j44ke; 09-29-2022 at 06:32 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The future is today.
    Wouldn't it be easier to have standard sized easily replaceable "battery packs" in the trucks? You pull into the "electron station," they remove the dead battery, replace it with a fully charged one and you're on your way. 10 minutes, max.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You’re ahead of your time Louis.

https://electrek.co/2022/03/15/geely...battery-packs/
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier to have standard sized easily replaceable "battery packs" in the trucks? You pull into the "electron station," they remove the dead battery, replace it with a fully charged one and you're on your way. 10 minutes, max.
    If you've ever tried to repair the frame advance interlock on a Zeiss Ikonta camera, you know that the Germans don't do it the easy way. I think the word for "engineering" and "over-engineering" is the same in German.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    I hope that is a souvenir from your trip.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are easily convertible to EV.

--
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    They are easily convertible to EV.

More details please. I am not familiar with the Citroen 2cv, but it seems like a very interesting (and uncarlike-in a good way) car from my quick wikipedia search. Do you use the stock transmission with the EV conversion?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rw saunders