User Tag List

Page 256 of 350 FirstFirst ... 246247248249250251252253254255256257258259260261262263264265266 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,120 of 6992

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    I think some of what you're running into is that an entire generation of work trucks got cash for clunkered and their replacements were both larger and more expensive.
    Yeah and/or eaten to bits by rust and drunk driving. That's the local mechanic's theory. Rust and drunk driving kills trucks he says.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Yeah and/or eaten to bits by rust and drunk driving. That's the local mechanic's theory. Rust and drunk driving kills trucks he says.
    Rust killed my old 1998 GMC Yukon, which ran like a top with relatively low mileage. 130K or so with good maintenance. But the under body was cancerous beyond belief and the fluid lines were bursting from rust.

The one part that wasn’t? The fuel tank. Meaning GM could make the rest low-rust if they wanted. They’d prefer I buy a new GMC......
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electric car...1910. Those chain drives would require a bottle of NFS on each side.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Looks like it's got hydraulic brakes. I did not think those were around then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Rust killed my old 1998 GMC Yukon, which ran like a top with relatively low mileage. 130K or so with good maintenance. But the under body was cancerous beyond belief and the fluid lines were bursting from rust.

The one part that wasn’t? The fuel tank. Meaning GM could make the rest low-rust if they wanted. They’d prefer I buy a new GMC......
    gas tanks are usually either plastic or coated in zinc. all the other sheet steel parts in a car body are also zinc plated. so why is the gas tank relatively rust free even on a rusty car? because it has fewer nooks and crannies to catch some salt spray and set up a galvanic cell.

It doesn't really matter who the OEM is, the rust belt is going to rust belt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    gas tanks are usually either plastic or coated in zinc. all the other sheet steel parts in a car body are also zinc plated. so why is the gas tank relatively rust free even on a rusty car? because it has fewer nooks and crannies to catch some salt spray and set up a galvanic cell.

It doesn't really matter who the OEM is, the rust belt is going to rust belt.
    This is no doubt true. IIRC you work in the automobile industry so I'm sure you know more about this than I do. My recollection of the vehicle was that my father kept it very clean and washed it often. The interior was quite clean and in very good condition. The exterior same way. No visible panel rust. Then I saw it on a lift and my jaw dropped at the amount and severity of the rust under the vehicle.

I hopped in it once and the brake pedal went to the floor. At the time my residence was in Virginia Beach and I took it to two places to find out about brake line replacement. Both quoted prices approaching $1000 and both said they wouldn't do it because so much other stuff was quite rusty.

So I sold it to a friend who knew what was wrong with it and wanted a vehicle with 4WD to tow his boat out of the water. He said he would fix it. I don't know if he ever did because I haven't had much contact with him since then. Engine and transmission and everything else was working well. I think that was 2015 so it was 17 years old.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    This is no doubt true. IIRC you work in the automobile industry so I'm sure you know more about this than I do. My recollection of the vehicle was that my father kept it very clean and washed it often. The interior was quite clean and in very good condition. The exterior same way. No visible panel rust. Then I saw it on a lift and my jaw dropped at the amount and severity of the rust under the vehicle.

I hopped in it once and the brake pedal went to the floor. At the time my residence was in Virginia Beach and I took it to two places to find out about brake line replacement. Both quoted prices approaching $1000 and both said they wouldn't do it because so much other stuff was quite rusty.

So I sold it to a friend who knew what was wrong with it and wanted a vehicle with 4WD to tow his boat out of the water. He said he would fix it. I don't know if he ever did because I haven't had much contact with him since then. Engine and transmission and everything else was working well. I think that was 2015 so it was 17 years old.
    replacing a brake line normally isn't too bad but if one rusted out there's normally multiple ones that need to be replaced. it's the kind of thing that a DIY mechanic can do to keep an otherwise marginal car on the road but you're probably better off junking the car if you're going to pay a shop to do it. if the rot was in the frame or the body mounts it was definitely time to let it go.

the engines in those GM trucks will run forever. the 4 speed automatic transmissions can be a little suspect though if they're abused or if the engine gets upgraded a bit. the bottom end of the GM motors is pretty stout and the stock heads can flow a lot of air. a lot of guys are pulling the complete drivetrains out of junkyards for their project cars, turbo charging them, and making huge power (like 1000+). the trans is usually the first thing to go.

but 17 years out of a car is a full lifespan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post

Electric car...1910. Those chain drives would require a bottle of NFS on each side.
    Oh hey, it’s The Frick! Amazingly the earliest electrics dated to the 1830’s, and Porsche’s first automobile was actually electric, and direct-drive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For $56,000 you can go a lot farther and faster on electricity today than 100 years ago. Dunno about a soft top though!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post

I kind of want to see someone resto-mod one of these.

That said, I would love it if cars had a 20 mph top speed, simply because I don't own one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about a black (not red) Ferrari 308 with a McLaren twin-turbo V-8 in the back?

Ferrari_308_Brawler.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a rendering and it would probably burst into flames without additionnal cooling if it was actually built.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    C

Saw that the guy with the purple Nissan also has the white Nissan out with a "For Sale" sign on it. Looks newer by a few years Probably stupid to think it would be any cheaper.
    I saw the white one on Craig's List the other day, and it was cheaper by about $1,000 if I remember correctly.

Just looked for it again to link for you, but looks like it's gone.

I think these trucks are very highly regarded ... i would've definitely been interested but really wanted a four door.

The maroon one is still available, no price drop, still $9,500.

Still seems like a good deal, and the longer it sits, the more I would think you could negotiate.

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    That is a rendering and it would probably burst into flames without additionnal cooling if it was actually built.
    Wow? I didn't realize it was a rendering until you posted this and I read the whole article. Alot of these renderings look kinda fake but this one... That tire really looks real!

Ferrari_308_Brawler_2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, nice car but can you fit a bike in it without taking the front wheel off?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Yeah, nice car but can you fit a bike in it without taking the front wheel off?
    Or swap from 700 to 650b depending on the terrain...
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CJones View Post
    Wow? I didn't realize it was a rendering until you posted this and I read the whole article. Alot of these renderings look kinda fake but this one... That tire really looks real!

Ferrari_308_Brawler_2.jpg
    Hoosier tires on a Ferrari, zero suspension travel...yep, likely done by some kid with photoshop in Indiana.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here’s something that’s not photoshopped: a genuine Corvette C7.r with race pedigree for sale. Maybe a bike hauler with one of those suction racks?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-pratt-miller/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is on BAT now too. Swoon.

my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Went to BAT to ogle the Vette. Then got sidetracked by this sweetie, which if you read the comments, has some Paul Newman history.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...dge-motorhome/

1967_bluebird_wanderlodge_wanderlodge.jpg