User Tag List

Page 265 of 350 FirstFirst ... 255256257258259260261262263264265266267268269270271272273274275 ... LastLast
Results 5,281 to 5,300 of 6992

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    Also, not a car - but anyone else enjoying this auction as much as I am?

Attachment 119627

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-boat-warpath/

I remember watching these things the few mid 80's summers they came to race Northport to Traverse City. Popeye's catamaran was the big dog back then IIRC. The vintage footage of this thing in biggish waters is pretty cool and the stories from these boats back in the day of Aronow and Kramer are intriguing.

Ryan
    I remember watching them in San Diego. Loud AF in a good way. You had me at: two supercharged 572ci big-block V8s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post

I love the hatch on those Volvo's.
    Looked for one when I ended up with my old 4Runner but never quite found one that fit the bill price/mileage.
    The C30 was a great model - from the Ford era I think. Might have shared an engine with the Focus? But I'm not sure of that. I do know that Volvo made a Polestar version with AWD. Not a production model, just a one off or supremely limited version. Fast.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best quote so far: "This looks like a very efficient “money-to-noise” converter."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The T5 motor in the C30 was Volvo's. I think its the same motor that is in the XC40. You could electronically modify the motor in the C30 up close to 270hp without changing anything physical, start changing manifolds exhaust and put a larger turbo radiator on it and you could go much higher. Of course if I did that I'd take the brakes out of an XC90 and stick them in there. I think there was or is a fairly tame Polestar tune that wouldn't void the warranty.

I laugh because the 5 cylinder in the XC40 is rated up to 285hp and the vehicle is way heavier than the coupe but I get much better gas mileage because I drive them totally differently. But that thing will step up and go if you want it to, I went from 55 to almost 100 much faster than I ever expected to the other day when I put my foot down to see what would happen.
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    when I put my foot down to see what would happen.
    I love this place.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The T5 motor in the C30 was Volvo's. I think its the same motor that is in the XC40. You could electronically modify the motor in the C30 up close to 270hp without changing anything physical, start changing manifolds exhaust and put a larger turbo radiator on it and you could go much higher. Of course if I did that I'd take the brakes out of an XC90 and stick them in there. I think there was or is a fairly tame Polestar tune that wouldn't void the warranty.

I laugh because the 5 cylinder in the XC40 is rated up to 285hp and the vehicle is way heavier than the coupe but I get much better gas mileage because I drive them totally differently. But that thing will step up and go if you want it to, I went from 55 to almost 100 much faster than I ever expected to the other day when I put my foot down to see what would happen.
    The engine in C30 in the video above was 405hp I believe. It also had Brembo brakes on it that appeared nearly the same diameter as the wheels. Volvo later sold a limited edition R-design Polestar edition of the C30 that had 250hp. The C30 concept car was also on an episode of Top Gear.

There is currently a Polestar V60 and XC60 that have a "T8 Twin-Engine plug-in hybrid motor with e-AWD" at 415hp. With Brembo brakes. Grocery go-getters.

Cyan Racing is kind of fun to look at also: https://www.cyanracing.com
    Last edited by j44ke; 09-16-2021 at 04:45 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, not a car - but anyone else enjoying this auction as much as I am?

Attachment 119627

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-boat-warpath/

I remember watching these things the few mid 80's summers they came to race Northport to Traverse City. Popeye's catamaran was the big dog back then IIRC. The vintage footage of this thing in biggish waters is pretty cool and the stories from these boats back in the day of Aronow and Kramer are intriguing.

Ryan
    Cocaine trafficking on Lake Michigan too? Or some other illicit income stream?

edit - looking at the auction now. Silly me. I assumed it lived in Michigan. Miami makes so much more sense. But what an amazing read in the comments.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sleeper in Seattle…1965 Buick Gran Sport…I don’t seek out cool cars; they just happen to find me.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-gran-sport-2/
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sign in front of it is perfect.
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sign in front of it is perfect.
    A little creative editing on my part.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a bias belt tire burner. Nice find.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 09-17-2021 at 09:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    Cocaine trafficking on Lake Michigan too? Or some other illicit income stream?

edit - looking at the auction now. Silly me. I assumed it lived in Michigan. Miami makes so much more sense. But what an amazing read in the comments.
    I'd be offended if it wasn't so true. If anyone needs me to take a closer look before purchase, shoot me a DM. Maybe I'll take it out for a test spin. FWIW, if we had a boats thread like this autos thread, I could pretty easily fill it with absurd photos.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Sleeper in Seattle…1965 Buick Gran Sport…
    That likes to drive to Las Vegas (or Loma Vista?) if that sticker is to be believed ...

This kind of custard color works so well on an old car.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    FWIW, if we had a boats thread like this autos thread, I could pretty easily fill it with absurd photos.
    Do it! I am at the same time enthralled with and horrified (boy are they polluting disasters) by these beasts, but they were the dream of my youth. We would put our 21" boat in the slip and some hero would pull in with his 40' scarab on a triple axle and fire up that through transom exhaust. Hurt my ears in the best sorta way.

miami-vice-wellcraft-scarab.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do it! I am at the same time enthralled with and horrified (boy are they polluting disasters) by these beasts, but they were the dream of my youth. We would put our 21" boat in the slip and some hero would pull in with his 40' scarab on a triple axle and fire up that through transom exhaust. Hurt my ears in the best sorta way.

That sound. I used to race a historic sailboat for the St. Michael's Museum (Maryland) Our tender was a private Cris-Craft (maybe a 69' Cavalier), all wood lots of brightwork with twin marine 327s. Boy howdy the sound of those wide open could save the wicked, give sight to the blind and cause adult men to faint.

We are doomed.

PS >> https://mht.maryland.gov/nr/NRDetail.aspx?NRID=907 I ran the kite, called the wind and ye old throwing of the springboards AKA death traps.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 09-17-2021 at 01:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't recall ever seeing that boat for sale above in real life, but I've seen many like it. Every ride I do goes along a waterway, crosses over a waterway, or both, so I see a lot of boats. I don't spend much time on them, though.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I don't recall ever seeing that boat for sale above in real life, but I've seen many like it. Every ride I do goes along a waterway, crosses over a waterway, or both, so I see a lot of boats. I don't spend much time on them, though.
    Some clown was/is asking $20 million for that Scarab filming boat one from season 2 of Miami Vice (shown above), and offering one of the fake Daytona Spyders built on a C3 Corvette platform to sweeten the "deal". Bwahaha.

They used Chris Craft Stingers in season 1 of the show before Wellcraft bought in and a guy in Wisconsin recently tracked down hero boat #1 from Season 1 and is restoring it. It was found in the parking lot of some construction company buried behind a bunch of random works trucks and junk. Crazy.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSae9uyAJU2/

https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/...ming-boat.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was found in the parking lot of some construction company buried behind a bunch of random works trucks and junk. Crazy.
    Not really surprised by this story. Seems like just the kind of thing a guy with wildly fluctuating finances would buy to brag about, and then abandon once the first maintenance estimate came in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m in Florence Italy for a few weeks and of course I look at all the ‘foreign’ cars that are around here. Noticeably eye-catching are the ultra small single seaters and delivery vehicles, keeps my head on a swivel. More than a few are electric as are a pretty good majority of in-town taxis. Gasoline is near $7 US a gallon. (€1.55 per liter)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Florence is so beautiful. It's too bad that so many Americans have welded their ego (or maybe their id) to their choice of automobile - I'd love to see more small cars on the road. Alas.
    steve cortez

FNG