User Tag List

Page 318 of 350 FirstFirst ... 308309310311312313314315316317318319320321322323324325326327328 ... LastLast
Results 6,341 to 6,360 of 6992

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
    At least these are a little more efficient, are better at what they are actually used for 99% of the time,
    That's my whole point, for people who dont haul stuff, they are NOT better at what they are used for 99% of the time. If joe and jane average go pick up the kids from school, stop at the grocery store and then the mall, they are not served well putting their groceries and sweet new kicks in the back of an open bed mini truck. They would be better off with an enclosed cargo space for most all tasks like an SUV, wagon or sedan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
    Yea, I get that if what you are doing is actually hauling materials. But you could flip this argument around completely. The reality is that a lot of people who buy full size trucks are doing it for the image and are using it to drive around town,and justify it by the one or two times a year they haul home some mulch from Home Depot. At least these are a little more efficient, are better at what they are actually used for 99% of the time, and maybe they still get the image they are after.
    So they're perfect for those who want the image of driving around in a truck while pretending that they're superior to those "knuckleheads" in their full sized trucks?

A PU truck where a bicycle fits better in the rear seat than in the bed of the truck, really?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to carry a bicycle without removing the wheels, while keeping everything dry and 5 available seats you drive this anyway, not a truck.

My parents had one of those when I was a junior, we would carry the family of 5 (including 2 teenagers so annoyed to be shuttled at their brother's race), my race bike standing on its wheels, a set of spare wheels, a power washer, a cooler, a picnic table and the various bags.

If you want to drive a tank to show everyone you are a big boy I believe there is a country in east of europe waiting for your help.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 02-08-2023 at 11:58 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by clunk View Post
    Apropos of Jorn's post, here's an interesting article about how pickups have "transformed from workhorse vehicles to family cruisers," while consumers respond to marketspeak about how "powerful" and "rugged" they are.

https://www.axios.com/ford-pickup-trucks-history
    That's a great illustration of the evolution of giant boudoir sofa wagons.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    If you want to carry a bicycle without removing the wheels, while keeping everything dry and 5 available seats you drive this anyway, not a truck.

My parents had one of those when I was a junior, we would carry the family of 5 (including 2 teenagers so annoyed to be shuttled at their brother's race), my race bike standing on its wheels, a set of spare wheels, a power washer, a cooler, a picnic table and the various bags.

If you want to drive a tank to show everyone you are a big boy I believe there is a country in east of europe waiting for your help.
    My dad had one of these. 4WD, manual shift. Driving felt like you were 5 feet in front of the car, but it was a good car. Drove it all over the place and got plenty of use out of the 4WD. Birdwatching (and my dad) is tough on vehicles but this held up very well.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Maybe even wood-fired.
    Jorn, if you convert one of those (or anything else) to producer gas you will be my hero.

Rabbit hole: https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2010...-gas-cars.html

Money quote: "If the back seat is loaded with sacks of wood, the range is extended to 400 kilometres (250 miles)"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    Jorn, if you convert one of those (or anything else) to producer gas you will be my hero.

Rabbit hole: https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2010...-gas-cars.html

Money quote: "If the back seat is loaded with sacks of wood, the range is extended to 400 kilometres (250 miles)"
    Hmm. Doesn't look that hard. I think I built a miniature version in high school chemistry lab. What could go wrong?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Hmm. Doesn't look that hard. I think I built a miniature version in high school chemistry lab. What could go wrong?
    That's the spirit. I'll come over and drive backup when you're ready to test drive it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    That's my whole point, for people who dont haul stuff, they are NOT better at what they are used for 99% of the time. If joe and jane average go pick up the kids from school, stop at the grocery store and then the mall, they are not served well putting their groceries and sweet new kicks in the back of an open bed mini truck. They would be better off with an enclosed cargo space for most all tasks like an SUV, wagon or sedan.
    It seems we are talking past one another. We can both agree that they need a station wagon or a minivan, but people don't want to buy those because that doesn't fit the image they want to portray. So I am suggesting that the Ridgeline fits the use case of how many trucks are used by your average suburban family who want to buy a truck just cause they like trucks, better than the full size truck.

There is a reason the Ridgeline has a trunk space and the higher end Santa Cruz thing comes with a built in bed cover.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Ridgeline is better vehicle, imho atmo ipso facto. Worth checking out one of those before you commit to the Maverick.
    I'm sure I'll test drive a Ridgeline. They look really nice. But it costs more than half again as much as a hybrid Maverick and weighs 800 pounds more. Not that you can buy a Maverick at list right now - but then I'm not buying right now. I'm attracted to the cheap and clever aspect of the Maverick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get the points about bed size and price. I’m hauling odd boxy stuff much more often than something the size of full plywood sheets these days, and the ability to haul that odd stuff is valuable to me. I’m a 20-years-of-ownership type, so I divide the price difference by 20 at least. And I’m more open to a premium for a Honda because I’ve had three.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of our engineering consultants has been living and working out of this beauty for the past year and Mike will appreciate this. He arrived on the site late last evening and when our site superintendent clocked in this morning, he saw van, rapped on the window and told the engineer that he had 15 minutes to move on or Pittsburgh’s finest would take over.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are a grumpy lot before the first pot of dreg is made!

Mike

PS
    We used to make a sweep of our job site to wake up the citizens sleeping there.
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When my friends can haul their tandem without taking off the front wheel in their Sienna van with all wheel drive, I think hmmmmm? Easy to get into, 2nd row of seats almost go flat for napping, tons of storage space and available in a hybrid sounds like a story book road trip car. Wish I would have one of those in my bike racing days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    When my friends can haul their tandem without taking off the front wheel in their Sienna van with all wheel drive, I think hmmmmm? Easy to get into, 2nd row of seats almost go flat for napping, tons of storage space and available in a hybrid sounds like a story book road trip car. Wish I would have one of those in my bike racing days.
    Love our Sienna. I have through about swapping it for one of the newer hybrids with AWD but ours is only seven years old and really just starting to be broken in.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

149th Street and Riverside Drive, Manhattan.

« If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ Is that pre-dented on the rear quarter panel? If so, smart strategy with a city car.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    Nnnnnn noooo what you want is a Chevy Church Van with the passenger seats removed.

We may never get one, production has been delayed for going on two years. *If* they decide to roll out these vans with 6.6 gas engines and 10 spd transmissions it will be a huge win for us. We will be able to easily tow the Airstream AND roll our tandem inside with wheels on.

Please GM get this going. I'll buy two!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's no secret that I am a Chevy guy, always have been; but I can't help but feeling they have lost the plot a bit lately. I grew up as a youngster loving to work on cars and working with the beloved small block chevy engines. My best friend was a Mustang fan. I hate ford. Just another four letter word that starts with F in my mind.

Rant: If I look at what Ford recently pulled off with their resurrection of the Bronco it's brilliant and I hate to admit that. Contrast that to what Chevy did re-introducing the Blazer. Damnit Chevy. They had an opportunity to play on nostalgia and the old days and bring the market something really cool, but instead rebadged another completely vanilla boring lifestyle SUV. BOO.

There's no replacement for displacement. Get those big motors while you can, they're a dying breed unfortunately :(

Rant off...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    ^^^ Is that pre-dented on the rear quarter panel? If so, smart strategy with a city car.
    Actually that’s not a bad idea, but it is just a weird reflection.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel