User Tag List

Page 299 of 350 FirstFirst ... 289290291292293294295296297298299300301302303304305306307308309 ... LastLast
Results 5,961 to 5,980 of 6992

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by Tamu8104 View Post
    If someone can prove that to be true, I’d consider an electric car. Till then, maintaining old ICEs seems to be the best environmental choice to me. Thankfully I don’t have to commute every day.
    ICE vs electric isn’t the issue here. It’s touchscreen vs more physical controls. VW, and others, are heavy on touchy feely screens and haptic feedback controls. That isn’t necessarily related to the power train, though it often is because manufacturers want it that way.

Other EV manufacturers are joining with apparently super competitive vehicles all the time. I’ve been quite impressed with BMWs reviews of late in their EV lineup.

Let’s see where it all goes.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have zero reason to buy a new ICE, especially with all the electronics. I’d consider an EV if the environmental impact/longevity of the vehicle/battery were proven and could actually net out to better than the emissions of an old ICE. Till we know that an EV doesn’t become a giant disposable vehicle where the environmental impact of creating/disposing of the battery and other electronics offsets the reduction in emissions, I’m waiting.
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think as long as there remains backwards compatibility to play your music, infotainment in cars is not a big deal. In fact, I’d say our van that predates Apple CarPlay is more future proof than the VW which has it. We can plug music into van via USB and run GPS straight off the phone, mounted old style via AC vents.

That said, I think there are more and more options these days for adding 8” touchscreens aftermarket. As I’ve seen on Land Rover restorations etc.

The devil is in the true electronic details like console displays, power windows/doors, etc.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My concern with modern cars, electric or ICE is the amount of screens/electronics in them. I’m not sure what the lifespan of those components are, anyone still using an iPad that is 10 years old? It feels like cars are becoming more disposable versus having 20-25 year life spans if not longer. I’m happy with my 15 year old FJ Cruiser and my 20 year old E46 5spd wagon that is quickly becoming my favorite driving car I’ve ever owned. It’s definitely not the fastest car but the steering feel and suspension are fantastic. Makes me want to put a supercharged S54 or LS in it at some point and make it a real sleeper wagon. It’s also nice to know I can fix about anything in either of those vehicles in my garage.

And if I ever have the means and opportunity to own a GT4 or GT4 RS; I’d do it in a heartbeat so there’s also that…
    Pics please :)

And fully agreed on the ever increasing number of electronics. Just ugh…. A few more dials would be nice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    The devil is in the true electronic details like console displays, power windows/doors, etc.
    Exactly my concern, so many new cars have screens that have all your driving info (tach, gas gauge, speed) and another screen that has all your internal controls (a/c, windows,). If one or both of those goes in 10 years, will you be able to source a replacement and what would the cost be? These aren’t standard components that exist across models much less different auto makers.

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    Pics please :)

And fully agreed on the ever increasing number of electronics. Just ugh…. A few more dials would be nice
    I need to take some more pics but I’ve been doing work on it and keep telling myself I’ll take some after the next project. So far I’ve built new headlights, replaced the cooling system, rear suspension. It has a new headliner, I redid all the leather on the seats and a bunch of the interior plastic pieces. Also put in a weighted shifter with the short shift kit and a stereo that will run ApplePlay. I still need to redo the front suspension, start pulling dents from the exterior. Once that’s done, it may be time to start serious planning for an engine update.

EB029188-A069-4DE4-ABBB-AABCB12750D1.jpg
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's impressive. For how long have you owned it? Also, where did you learn how to do the various maintenance items?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they don't design the electronics to put up with many hours of vibration they're dummies. I really doubt they spec them like your average laptop screen.

I think about it, too, given I work in tech and have the mindset of long term thinking but I've seen well built no SPOF stuff that lasts forever so I know it can be done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once that’s done, it may be time to start serious planning for an engine update.
    S54 please!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's impressive. For how long have you owned it? Also, where did you learn how to do the various maintenance items?
    My nephew had it for 4 years with the hopes of getting it fixed up but never got too far with it. I picked it up from him about a year ago.

Early in my career I had an opportunity to work with a lot of body shops and was able to attend trade and training seminars. Was mostly body and frame but got into some mechanical. That combined with my Dad teaching us basic automotive maintenance when I was you was the jumping off point. Just kept building on it.
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darkmother View Post
    S54 please!

I’m torn between a supercharged S54 and an LS. The S54 power curve actually isn’t that different than the m54 it currently has till you get closer to the 5.5-6.0k rpms. A supercharger would push that curve up lower in the power band. Or go LS which would through out more horsepower and torque…. Will likely depend if I can find a good condition e46 M3 at a good price for a donor. That’s hard though as most of the donor options I’ve found so far would still be more expensive than an LS swap.
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m torn between a supercharged S54 and an LS. The S54 power curve actually isn’t that different than the m54 it currently has till you get closer to the 5.5-6.0k rpms. A supercharger would push that curve up lower in the power band. Or go LS which would through out more horsepower and torque…. Will likely depend if I can find a good condition e46 M3 at a good price for a donor. That’s hard though as most of the donor options I’ve found so far would still be more expensive than an LS swap.
    Interesting. How much fabrication is required to put an LS in that car? The exhaust must be pretty difficult to squeeze in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    If they don't design the electronics to put up with many hours of vibration they're dummies. I really doubt they spec them like your average laptop screen. I think about it, too, given I work in tech and have the mindset of long term thinking but I've seen well built no SPOF stuff that lasts forever so I know it can be done.
    I hear you…the remote 6 CD changer in the 2001 A6 Avant that I retired in 2018 was more reliable than the digital and Bluetooth connections in my 2020 Pilot.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darkmother View Post
    Interesting. How much fabrication is required to put an LS in that car? The exhaust must be pretty difficult to squeeze in there.
    There’s a company here in TX that makes engine mount kits and a piggyback ECU to put an LS in an E46. Exhaust would have to be custom fab but that’s not too bad.
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw this across the street on my ride today. My high school track coach and Latin teacher had one of these, albeit in the standard non-modded version. For shits and giggles, the guys who did some of the field events (think shot and discus) would put one man on each corner and move it to the other parking lot when Coach was doing training with the guys on the cinders.

« If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A deux-chevaux?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A deux-chevaux?
    Close, the Italian equivalent, the Fiat 500.

Jeopardy Question, "Cars you can fix with a screwdriver and a rock?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B63DD1EA-B19F-4D87-BBA8-021405613A3D.jpg2BE36540-4B39-4C0E-8CA1-663C1C92388B.jpg

Another small one. This was outside our breakfast place. Only made one year.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have zero reason to buy a new ICE, especially with all the electronics. I’d consider an EV if the environmental impact/longevity of the vehicle/battery were proven and could actually net out to better than the emissions of an old ICE. Till we know that an EV doesn’t become a giant disposable vehicle where the environmental impact of creating/disposing of the battery and other electronics offsets the reduction in emissions, I’m waiting.
    I think that question has been asked and answered. Replacing an existing vehicle with any newly-manufactured vehicle is going to have a net negative environmental impact, until the old vehicle is old enough or polluting enough that it's creating more problems than the production of the new one.

There are, however, other reasons people replace their cars. Their needs and/or desires change, etc.

I thought about this before replacing my ten year old ICE vehicle with another ICE/mild hybrid. My old car was, well, getting old. Rougher, noisier, wearing out... And my wants & needs (quiet, comfort, driving enjoyment, storage, and range) eliminated any EV I could reasonably afford. I am sure that, 10 to 12 years from now, my options to meet my needs & wants will include any number of EVs. My twelve year old 'city' car? I'm keeping the Fit until either it dies or I no longer need the occasional second car.

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    I think as long as there remains backwards compatibility to play your music, infotainment in cars is not a big deal. In fact, I’d say our van that predates Apple CarPlay is more future proof than the VW which has it. We can plug music into van via USB and run GPS straight off the phone, mounted old style via AC vents.

That said, I think there are more and more options these days for adding 8” touchscreens aftermarket. As I’ve seen on Land Rover restorations etc.

I remember, years ago, my wife's skepticism about power windows' reliability. I think all of our cars for the last 25 years have had these, and they've been almost problem free. The one problem I recall was a quick fix. So I am not too worried about the reliability and maintenance of those systems. My new wagon has its native MBUX systems and the ability to connect either Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. Plus OTH updates.

I certainly don't expect perfection, but I'm not worried about maintenance or reliability. I'd say the same about most in-car tech at this date.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    https://jalopnik.com/2023-toyota-gr-...ecs-1849498519

AWD? Manual only? Could I actually get excited about a Toyota?

(I’d get excited about the 86 or Supra if they had AWD options, I’m looking to avoid tire chains in winter)
    Now I've seen this:

Seems like a midlife crisis car, which I'd previously decided was a Carrera 4s. Perhaps a 1/3 price midlife crisis car makes room for a midlife crisis bike ...
    Last edited by 72gmc; 09-14-2022 at 03:41 PM.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hot hatches don't have to be hideous, do they?