User Tag List

Page 250 of 350 FirstFirst ... 240241242243244245246247248249250251252253254255256257258259260 ... LastLast
Results 4,981 to 5,000 of 6992

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

I the same head unit in my FJ and wired the back-up camera to it. It works decently but I’m contemplating rerouting the wiring again and moving the camera up to the rear of the roof rack in anticipation of adding a swing out bumper.
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$2,500,000 car getting a ticket, but will the owner care?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    only if the ticket is proportionnal to his wealth. Isn't that how they do it in some northern countries?
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Nice car !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I'm now on my second perfectly pedestrian station wagon since starting this thread nine years and 250 pages ago. Thought about the Volvo, but ultimately I'm too cheap. This'll do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Perfectly pedestrian"?? That describes the cars I owned in my younger years.
    I would drive anywhere I wanted to go, and walk home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maxspeedwell View Post
    "Perfectly pedestrian"?? That describes the cars I owned in my younger years.
    I would drive anywhere I wanted to go, and walk home.
    The towing company would answer the phone "Oh, Mr. G. yes the yellow Focus, we'll right out."
    When the tow company says your the one who got them off fence on customer loyalty programs,
    it is time for a new car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lebron James, "Immigrant Song", crabwalk...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CJones View Post
    Lebron James, "Immigrant Song", crabwalk...
    Bizarre. Seems like a long run marketing strategy where they're trying to normalize EVs all the way out to the fringes of the UFC crowd, and thereby make EVs acceptable to most normal people? I know nothing about marketing.

How many times did the commercial say "dominance"? I'd love to be a fly on the wall for a conversation between a cultural critic and my imagined image of an old school Freudian psychoanalyst about this commercial. The push-button extendable suspension that helps you drive through the trench is gold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Immigrant Song is the Coldplay of white alpha male marketing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait, that Hummer ad is an SNL parody commercial, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw this and thought of you guys. Sorry if already posted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lamborghini power is the fast track to your car burning to the ground.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Red Ribbon van got the yellow tag on Friday morning.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like that vintage. The neighbor's remodel contractor drives a white one. Sure, the driver is the crumple zone, but it's fun to look at.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drove my friend Taycan turbo today. Meh. Super fast off the line and handles a whole lot better than a Tesla. It feels like a video game to me. As a comfortable cruiser it's actually quite nice. As a sports car not really. As a fun car, certainly not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've driven almost all of them and the VW eGolf is still the only one that I think about purchasing for the home fleet about every week or so. Something about the e-ness strips away the emotion of the drive, but the eGolf does it with the fewest stupid gimmicks - just a good chassis with a battery.
    eGolf.jpg

It has lot of buts and it's no supercar, but the i8 also did it for me (oh boy did we take bath on that though, and it's not a true EV).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really enjoying the disdain for Teslas that is coming out of my kid. Particular gripes include a) they're not unique in this town, so not interesting either, b) they're such boring colors an occasional blue one is exciting by comparison, and c) the front end looks like someone just quit before it was finished.

This is a kid who also thinks Minis without stripes should be sent back to have that flaw corrected under warranty. I feel like a good parent.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stupid question, but it seems like there is a lack of clarity when car makers describe their hybrids.

What is a plug-in hybrid? Does it mean that the only way to charge the batteries is by plugging the car in to a charger? Or does the engine charge the battery as well and the plug-in feature just give you the option of driving on battery-only, versus always having to use the engine in some capacity?

I'm wondering about this Volvo model here: https://www.volvocars.com/us/v/cars/v60-hybrid

I'm familiar with Toyota Prius hybrids as my father had one. Now he has a Camry hybrid. Neither of those cars are plug-in hybrids, so there is never a need to plug the car in anywhere, nor is there the ability to run on the battery-only and completely shut off the engine.

A friend had an Audi A3 e-tron plug-in hybrid that could be driven as electric-only, but the cruising range was nothing (like 13 miles.) And it had endless problems so eventually he traded it in for a gas-engine A4.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Stupid question, but it seems like there is a lack of clarity when car makers describe their hybrids.

What is a plug-in hybrid? Does it mean that the only way to charge the batteries is by plugging the car in to a charger? Or does the engine charge the battery as well and the plug-in feature just give you the option of driving on battery-only, versus always having to use the engine in some capacity?

I'm wondering about this Volvo model here: https://www.volvocars.com/us/v/cars/v60-hybrid

I'm familiar with Toyota Prius hybrids as my father had one. Now he has a Camry hybrid. Neither of those cars are plug-in hybrids, so there is never a need to plug the car in anywhere, nor is there the ability to run on the battery-only and completely shut off the engine.

A friend had an Audi A3 e-tron plug-in hybrid that could be driven as electric-only, but the cruising range was nothing (like 13 miles.) And it had endless problems so eventually he traded it in for a gas-engine A4.
    Yes, a plug-in hybrid will have some range of E-only driving. That range may be super short though, as mentioned. I wouldn’t buy one for the E-only range unless it’s several dozen miles and that covers your daily driving. Generally though they do get really good fuel economy even when the gas engine starts.

I’m not sure I understand the antipathy towards Tesla above. They are a company that is actually trying for a paradigm change in terms of energy production, energy usage and energy storage. Their cars are imperfect. So are all cars. In terms of styling, they’re going to look different as there is no traditional need for engine cooling and they want to optimize aerodynamics of the form.

They’re a tech company as much as a car company and may be as disruptive to the transportation industry as Apple has been to the personal tech industry. They’re certainly causing everyone to think about EVs as they’re no longer just an 80-mile range curiosity like most EVs were a decade ago. It would appear that their battery tech is a decade ahead of the rest of the industry.

Many cars come today with a “mild hybrid” drivetrain even if it’s not showcased in the advertising. Electrification is here to stay and will improve and grow over time.
    La Cheeserie!