User Tag List

Page 294 of 350 FirstFirst ... 284285286287288289290291292293294295296297298299300301302303304 ... LastLast
Results 5,861 to 5,880 of 6992

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post

Because every winch should be able to power a blender too.
    I actually bought one of these. Worth the price of admission the first time you take it out on the beach.

https://www.americantailgater.com/product-p/9910901.htm
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More photos from the PVGP this evening…until then.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gorgeous Austin, that is a 57'ish right? Muhgawd a student at college had that to knock around in during warm months and a Cosworth Vega for winter. Yikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greatest hits of the weekend. Jag was bought by Owner’s Dad in 1964 and in the family since…many weddings and honeymoons. 98,000 miles on the odometer and the Owner drives it to shows throughout the Summer.
    Last edited by rwsaunders; 07-24-2022 at 11:21 PM.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Porsche was the marque car this year and when I walked over the hill at the golf course, there had to be a sea of 300. I threw a Vette in for good luck and the 356B is one of 249 made in 1962 and it went through a frame off restoration in 2018. That’s the University of Pittsburgh’s Cathedral of Learning in the background…my Alma Mater.
    Last edited by rwsaunders; 07-24-2022 at 11:27 PM.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That’s all for now and I’ll be back next year. TT…you were close…1960 3000 MK1.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One reason why I enjoyed talking with the owner of our airbnb this weekend.

1971, fuel-injected 429, patched up with his own welder before a paint job and custom exhaust that each cost more than what he paid for the truck. "Lots more to do!"

Attachment 121749truck_large.jpg
    Last edited by 72gmc; 07-27-2022 at 12:57 PM.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That’s all for now and I’ll be back next year. TT…you were close…1960 3000 MK1.
    Thanks for putting these up Bob! Trip to memory lane for me as I went to that event a few times over the years and it never disappoints. Eye candy for days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like attracts like:

IMG_2390.jpg
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A near-enough family had an older car and a new adventure van. Now they have a new jeep grand wagoneer (no) and a late model amg wagon (yes please). It passed rather fast and rumbly the other day and I noticed it was mom driving ... probably a daily race for car keys in that house.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Like attracts like:

IMG_2390.jpg
    Who parked there first, and did you get to chat with the driver of the other car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    Who parked there first, and did you get to chat with the driver of the other car?
    She, a slightly stooped older lady, arrived just after me and I couldn’t even catch her eye. So much for the fraternity of wagon owners!

I’ve spotted two others in our neighborhood, one an All Terrain and the other an E63.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have pretty much eliminated buying a third “fun” car given our driving habits…Test drove a three row Grand Cherokee L and a Defender 110 earlier this week. With our three kids reaching the ages where they’re collectively all over the map on weeknights and weekends activities, would eventually like something bigger than our Golf to supplement the minivan.

The Land Rover is a capital L looker and drove nice but a little truck-ish, kind of like the Touareg we owned for a short while when my wife was dead set against a van. Interior very clean looking too. But finding that model with three rows and not optioned to the gills is like finding a hens tooth, especially since they just released the gargantuan and oddly proportioned 130.

The Jeep drove very nicely, 2nd row captains chairs and third row two seat bench are really well done, interior/controls/screens is decent; at the end of the day, I’d choose the Jeep on value proposition all day long.

I think we probably have at least one more gas powered vehicle in our lives before electric is fully ready for prime time (see: continued Rivian price hikes and delayed delivery dates), so I’m going to sleep on it through the winter and see how Spring 2023 looks.
    Last edited by robin3mj; 08-19-2022 at 08:38 PM.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As someone who grew up riding around in a series of Dodge Darts and then a Toyota Corolla, I don't really understand the buying of larger cars for kids. And we traveled a lot. My dad destroyed cars going places with us. He bought the Toyota van after we left so he and my mom could go camping more easily. Most of our friends & my family are very concerned about climate change. Meanwhile they are carting children around to various engagements all afternoon and weekend.

This isn't a rant, just wondering if this daily peregrination is sustainable. How much extra money is spent on ferrying children, is the return greater than the costs and what could that money do otherwise if redirected to something that might be more constructive but perhaps more concentrated? Like no extra car, no multiple events outside a particular radius of home, but more travel as a family to destinations further afield and renting per occasion rather than annual ownership.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post

This isn't a rant, just wondering if this daily peregrination is sustainable. How much extra money is spent on ferrying children, is the return greater than the costs and what could that money do otherwise if redirected to something that might be more constructive but perhaps more concentrated? Like no extra car, no multiple events outside a particular radius of home, but more travel as a family to destinations further afield and renting per occasion rather than annual ownership.
    Out here in suburban LI, the expectation is your kid play a sport etc if there's hope to be competitive getting into college. My son plays travel soccer, my daughter travel and school soccer. That's at least 6 local car trips per week and the weekends are spent driving around Long Island for games. Horrible for gas consumption. The flip side is we rarely have time to drive anywhere else except on vacation.

When I grew up everything happened in the neighborhood. You could walk to play ball, to school etc. My friends and I would play in the street. I live in a fairly typical neighborhood and I haven't seen kids playing in the street in 11 years living here. It's all car based travel to a game, field, Bouncy House etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As someone who grew up riding around in a series of Dodge Darts and then a Toyota Corolla, I don't really understand the buying of larger cars for kids. And we traveled a lot. My dad destroyed cars going places with us. He bought the Toyota van after we left so he and my mom could go camping more easily. Most of our friends & my family are very concerned about climate change. Meanwhile they are carting children around to various engagements all afternoon and weekend.

I understand your point, and we’ve gotten by thus far with a van and a smaller car. We also were a one car household for nearly a decade until our second and third kids arrived and I’ve bike commuted to every office job I’ve had since 2005. Fact is, if you start pulling that thread, where do you stop? Climate change says we probably shouldn’t have had kids in the first place, and we definitely shouldn’t visit the grandparents in Europe, is having a dog sustainable, etc etc etc.

My original point is that for better or worse, this is a two car household, and as a car buff, I am thinking a second car that I really like is a better option than buying a 20 year old runaround that will eat into the relatively few miles that we as a family drive each year.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For us, the justification for the first wagon was the seven seats. We came close to buying an Odyssey when the first large one was introduced (around 1999?) but my wife hated how big it was.

We could shepherd our one and only child and various groups of her friends all over town. Which we did all the time for years. We've driven a Taurus wagon, followed by a Sable wagon. Both workhorses. The Sable was replaced by the Fit we still own. A year later we bought the TSX wagon to replace our 2001 TL. Only five seats, but our wagon love persisted even after the kid left home. The CoMotion Speedster came a few years later. And now with the E450 All Terrain we've got seven seats; the ability to transport that Speedster; car-camping capability; range; luxury; and power, all in a stealthy if-you-don't-know-it-is-you-won't-even-notice-it package.

We'll keep the Fit around because it's a sunk cost, cheap to operate and maintain, and can be shared with guests and even the aforementioned kid. I'd be shocked if our next car (10+ years down the road) isn't electric. But for now, an EV couldn't meet our needs.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    She, a slightly stooped older lady, arrived just after me and I couldn’t even catch her eye. So much for the fraternity of wagon owners!

I’ve spotted two others in our neighborhood, one an All Terrain and the other an E63.
    Bummer, sorry to hear your interaction didn't go better

We finally went out to a jazz club last night, after I had first mentioned the idea to my wife 4-5 years ago. By coincidence, the choice parking spot (on-street) was in front of a Saab 9-5 wagon (whose owner was inside), and our V60 was thus "stationed" in front of the Saab. I wish I could have exchanged a few pleasantries with the owner of the Saab, but didn't get the chance.

As we were walking away, my wife (who had a very hazy idea of a wagon until we bought our V60) mentioned that she liked the styling of the 9-5, and I responded that it was a good car, with character and hauling capacity; just then, the owner of the 9-5 wagon walked past us. I actually hope that he heard the exchange between my wife and me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    Bummer, sorry to hear your interaction didn't go better

We finally went out to a jazz club last night, after I had first mentioned the idea to my wife 4-5 years ago. By coincidence, the choice parking spot (on-street) was in front of a Saab 9-5 wagon (whose owner was inside), and our V60 was thus "stationed" in front of the Saab. I wish I could have exchanged a few pleasantries with the owner of the Saab, but didn't get the chance.

As we were walking away, my wife (who had a very hazy idea of a wagon until we bought our V60) mentioned that she liked the styling of the 9-5, and I responded that it was a good car, with character and hauling capacity; just then, the owner of the 9-5 wagon walked past us. I actually hope that he heard the exchange between my wife and me.
    This is for you and your wife: https://larzanderson.org/2022lawnevents/scd22/
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets