User Tag List

Page 268 of 350 FirstFirst ... 258259260261262263264265266267268269270271272273274275276277278 ... LastLast
Results 5,341 to 5,360 of 6992

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by funcrusher View Post
    i just put down a deposit on a Rivian R1S...wanted the truck but i was vetoed by my better half

been doing a lot more driving lately and i'm sick of having to pump gas
    It's a pretty interesting looking rig for sure. What is the home charging solution for you looking like?

This bit is pretty interesting too, I dont think I've read elsewhere about mfg's getting this specific about wheel/tire combos and the effect on range

From the hottest places to the coldest — from 130ºF to -25ºF — our battery system was built to explore, delivering an EPA estimated 316 miles of range when paired with 21" wheels. For 20" wheels, our estimates show a range reduction of 10-15%, with a 5-10% reduction for 22" wheels. Estimates may vary depending on driving style and conditions. After launch, we’ll announce the timing of our 250+ mile and longer range R1S, with seven seats.³

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by funcrusher View Post
    i just put down a deposit on a Rivian R1S...wanted the truck but i was vetoed by my better half

been doing a lot more driving lately and i'm sick of having to pump gas
    Nice
    I've been following these. They seem to have their act together.
    The truck is really nice looking, but with 3 kids, we'd probably go SUV as well.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    It's a pretty interesting looking rig for sure. What is the home charging solution for you looking like?

This bit is pretty interesting too, I dont think I've read elsewhere about mfg's getting this specific about wheel/tire combos and the effect on range
    need to get charging station ($500) installed in the garage...not dissimilar to tesla

i read that about the wheels too...but most peeps with EVs i know keep them charged in the garage all the time...so no real range issues unless roadtripping i guess

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Nice
    I've been following these. They seem to have their act together.
    The truck is really nice looking, but with 3 kids, we'd probably go SUV as well.
    we have one headed to college next fall so 2 left at home...but i still got vetoed!

the truck has the capacity for a longer range battery (400 miles)...also i always just wanted to throw my bikes in a pickup bed with one of those dakine pads, but the reality is that 1up hitch rack is probably better anyway

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    They aren't bleeding edge tech anymore, but my son and I did our first somewhat extended (well only 250 miles each way) road trip in our Model 3.

Ours is a "long range" model with supposedly 330-ish mile range, so in theory we could make the Ann Arbor to Traverse City trip in a single charge, but the supercharger system is so easy and convenient that you don't have to sweat that out anymore. I also wanted to drive real speeds and not be the wiener driving 60 mph on the expressway. So we drove speed limit +5 mph the whole trip.

We had it all to ourselves in Claire and after the dog finally found a tree good enough to pee on, and box of donuts were purchased we were back on our way 90% full with no worries.

It's still a space ship to many and this normal model is fast enough to give my nieces and nephews thrill rides all weekend. My buddy just got a Model S Plaid which I'll get in eventually - but I can't even imagine how quick that thing is.

Life is less easy if you don't drive a Tesla (in terms of charging) but I'll no longer hesitate to take this thing out on the road. We have a Ford Mach-e in the fleet too, but lack of charger support makes me hesitant to use it for anything other than local trips at this point.

All the juice to ourselves:

Attachment 119777
    Thanks for the report.

Before the end of the year my wife & I will be doing a roundtrip between Boston and Naples FL with a tandem along for the ride, followed by a Boston to Hilton Head with four of us and our luggage. In our 2012 TSX Wagon.

I think an electric will be the next car after my next car.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a friend in Vegas. 2 kids and dog. During covid they started doing longer roadtrips in their teslas. They decided it was not much fun because you could get seriously hosed for charging. So now they have 3 cars. 2 teslas for urban and shorter destinations and an ICE SUV for the long haul stuff. . . .

I will say with the petrol shortage right now in the south of England, the EV drivers are out on the roads and looking very smug. In fact, our in Surrey, I think most people are not driving their petrol cars, and you see the EVs enjoying the emptier roads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My local congress critter, Thomas Massie does have a sense of humor.

6a00e008d2bcf48834019101e486ff970c.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    I have a friend in Vegas. 2 kids and dog. During covid they started doing longer roadtrips in their teslas. They decided it was not much fun because you could get seriously hosed for charging. So now they have 3 cars. 2 teslas for urban and shorter destinations and an ICE SUV for the long haul stuff. . . .

I will say with the petrol shortage right now in the south of England, the EV drivers are out on the roads and looking very smug. In fact, our in Surrey, I think most people are not driving their petrol cars, and you see the EVs enjoying the emptier roads.
    How were they getting hosed on charging? A full charge is less expensive than a tank of gas. I know it’s not as inexpensive as many people think but I believe after the acquisition costs, EVs are significantly less expensive to own than ICE cars. Not sure about insurance costs.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been wanting to buy a cheap commuter car.

Last winter, driving my S2000 during the colder months ended with sadness.

The LX470 is a giant gas hog.

I was looking at Civics and the like, but anything that isn't completely used up is selling for silly premiums.

I also need something to haul equipment around my ~23 acres that isn't a 15K UTV. Or even a 7K Japanese mini-truck.

Enter - a Toyota Tacoma. 1997, 152K, 4cyl, auto, 4x4 w/ manual hubs, regular cab. Excellent mechanicals and interior. Paint looks like 25 year old Toyota metallic paint looks, but its basically rust free.

I feel like I killed several birds with one stone and didn't really spend more than I would have on a 200K mile economy car.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    How were they getting hosed on charging? A full charge is less expensive than a tank of gas. I know it’s not as inexpensive as many people think but I believe after the acquisition costs, EVs are significantly less expensive to own than ICE cars. Not sure about insurance costs.
    Not on costs, on time lost to charging. You can't go that remote without having some anxiety.

Take a trip from Las Vegas to Park City UT, or Truckee or ASPEN which they did.
    https://www.tesla.com/trips#/?v=MS_2...,-111.4979729a

I think the EV is great near the urban areas. But for long road trips, you add significant time to your trip regardless of what the brochure says.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The next new car I buy will likely be a plug-in hybrid with 20-40mi of EV range for local driving and a gas engine for longer trips. Sounds like your friends should be going that route too.

Right now I have three cars that are basically toys and classics. If I ever feel the need to be a responsible adult with my automotive choices, I'll probably get a RAV4 Prime.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not on costs, on time lost to charging. You can't go that remote without having some anxiety.

Take a trip from Las Vegas to Park City UT, or Truckee or ASPEN which they did.
    https://www.tesla.com/trips#/?v=MS_2...,-111.4979729a

I think the EV is great near the urban areas. But for long road trips, you add significant time to your trip regardless of what the brochure says.
    EVs are least efficient on the freeway and driving fast is for sure a range killer. No doubt it adds time to stop and charge for a half hour every few hours. I’ve had my eye on a Tesla for a year or so. In the past 12 months I drove to Florida 3 times from Chicago. I did in excess of 950 miles in a single day twice. Those days wouldn’t have been possible, even in the longest range Tesla. So I get the range-anxiety hesitation to EVs. That said, I still suspect I’ll end up with one and probably a Tesla. I go to Milwaukee (100 miles each way) pretty frequently and Grand Rapids a few times per year, at about 225 miles each way.

I could make the Milwaukee round trip pretty easily in the Model 3/Y long range and the one way to GR easily. So I guess everyone interested in an EV needs to balance the range limitations with how often these monstrous mileage days will actually happen. My regular driving will easily be supported by a Tesla or other long range EV. I’m sold on Tesla’s Supercharger network though, so that’s the direction I’m leaning.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    We stayed in a small village above Bagni di Lucca called Vitiana, and every two three days a red one of these would climb up the road to the town loaded full of baked goods. It honked at the corners and had a distinctive honk, so you knew it was on its way and could find your shoes and wallet to go meet it at the tiny square along with an assortment of other people. Amazing stuff in that little truck. That was the first year. The second year it was replaced with a Fiat Panda 4x4. Later I saw the old three wheel truck parked at an auto shop on the road to Lucca and was turned down by my wife when I proposed buying it.

Ha! When I lived in Italy we nicknamed these “dee-dubs” (as in death-wagens).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had to take the little Mini up to the doctor in Westchester for some minor work. Briarcliff Classic and Imported could really fit in that other Dinosaur thread. Sorry for the photo dump but these were just a few, very few, of the cars in various stages of waiting to be picked up or for parts to come in/ be fabricated. I love this place and the work these guys do.

For your viewing pleasure…

« If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always loved the lines of the jag xk120.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

add to my ongoing list of cars on Elizabeth St.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So imagine you're who drew that up. You finish, look at it and think "welcome to the decline of my career." How possibly could you improve on that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    So imagine you're who drew that up. You finish, look at it and think "welcome to the decline of my career." How possibly could you improve on that?
    Malcolm Sayer. He designed the XJ13. I had a Corgi model of that car.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books