User Tag List

Page 98 of 351 FirstFirst ... 888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 7005

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

I've got to throw this out there. Toyota 4Runner. It is going to make you happy. They are curious animals, designed for the offroad crowd but has extremely good road manners. They ride and handle twisty back roads so well and do everything you are asking. Unfortunately they are like Volvos, it will last longer than you care to own it.

We are very very happy with our 2014.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cs124 View Post
    Wow, $55k is amazingly cheap for Q7, X5 etc. we pay double that down here.
    Down where? Anything imported central or south america will probably double due to import taxes and everyone getting a cut.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I've got to throw this out there. Toyota 4Runner. It is going to make you happy. They are curious animals, designed for the offroad crowd but has extremely good road manners. They ride and handle twisty back roads so well and do everything you are asking. Unfortunately they are like Volvos, it will last longer than you care to own it.

You're not kidding. That's a nice looking vehicle. Looks like 90% of the Land Cruiser for 40% of the price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reviews always say "they drive like a truck", "... still a 4spd transmission, how's that for old school?". I'm sure they are tried and true. I tried to convince my wife to get one, but no go. Maybe if my wagon ever gives out, I'll consider one.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a fan. The only reason I didn't get one is because I found an FJ with a manual. I was pretty much just a signature away. If we wanted/needed a second SUV, it would be a 4Runner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deb and I leased a 4runner when the girls were younger, way before I got into the car biz. Of course it all took longer than it should have and Deb has to hurry to get the girls from School...car still has the welcome to booklet attached the shifter...she gets pulled over for way to fast in a 55. Officer asks if she knows how fast she was going...(teary voice) No..it's a brand new car...and how long have you owned it Ma'm...An Hour..Please use your cruise control Ma'm and have a nice Day :>). Nice car we enjoyed ours, for the room and versatility.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon White View Post
    Down where? Anything imported central or south america will probably double due to import taxes and everyone getting a cut.
    Australia.
    Cars in general are overpriced here, but we have a "luxury car tax" which means that cars get more expensive the more expensive they get. (Does that make sense?)
    Examples... M3 ~ $160k, Q7~$110k, 911Carrera S ~ $250k

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My brother has an 05/06 era 4 Runner, and prior to that had a Tacoma, which I drove extensively one summer, and I really like both. I'd put Toyota at the top of my Japanese car list (Ford at top of USA), but the optional 3rd row seats are less than ideal, and my wife is die-hard euro-centric. I might convince her to take a look, and I wouldn't mind sitting in a Venza.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon White View Post
    We have older XC90 and the third row gets used much more than we expected.
    Brandon, can you describe the scenarios in which the third row was useful? Thx.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbornia View Post
    When we did the France trip 3 years ago (I wish we could do it again!) my car dealer ex-wife hooked me up with a Euro-only version of the Chevrolet Captiva. It had a third row and while it was cramped, we piled a number people into the vehicle and used the third seat for a short trip to the grocery store for supplies (wine and cheese if I recall correctly!). We had either 5 or 6 regular adult men in the car. It was tight, but legal and OK for a short trip.

Third seats suck, except when they don't. Then they're priceless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the venza has been discontinued. Maybe there'll be deals on them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my dad has one, terrrrrible blind spots and he says it's absolutely crap in the snow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
    Give up cycling, keep riding the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seanile View Post
    my dad has one, terrrrrible blind spots and he says it's absolutely crap in the snow.
    95% of that is tires (the snow part). For the most part cars can't be particularly good or bad in snow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea, though my family has never used snow tires, so that statement is measuring current stock tires/handling against previous cars' stock tires/handling in snow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
    Give up cycling, keep riding the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I'm a fan. The only reason I didn't get one is because I found an FJ with a manual. I was pretty much just a signature away. If we wanted/needed a second SUV, it would be a 4Runner.
    nice find - not a lot of those with manuals.

**I hate autos!
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Our Oldsmobile had a third row when I was growing up.

Looking this up on Google I am again reminded of how truly ugly this car was. My friends with kids now have Honda Odyssey minivans and they are so vastly superior it's hard to fathom that nobody thought of them sooner. The rear seat of the Custom Cruiser was truly terrible.

I loved these old station wagons, still do. At one point, I built a hot rod Buick Century Wagon, but I would have preferred these larger vehicles for that. Plenty of room for "sleeping" in the back and a great vehicle for a high school kid who had the need to transport kegs of beer to Butler Woods every Wednesday.
    Dovid@dhoffman.consulting

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Musgrave View Post
    nice find - not a lot of those with manuals.

**I hate autos!
    I checked inventory all along the East Coast. It was the only one at the time. Even better, it had all the features I wanted, none that I didn't, and it was already in Miami. The sales guy tried to sell me on the fact that it was the only manual in the east. I countered by reminding him that I am the only person in Miami who had interest in a manual SUV. I got a great deal when he realized it was his only chance to unload it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 kids under 25 months plus a 60 pound lab/mutt?
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have 2 kids and a mother-in-law that lives in town 1/2 the year. That right there is a minimum of 5 people in the car for family events. If they are feeling cramped in the back - the 6 year old goes in the back row. If we have a friend in tow - the older kids go in the back row. If my parents are in town (few times a year) and we all want to travel together - wife and oldest kid goes in the back row. We just had 2 friends in town - oldest kid and wife in the back row for going to the beach, restaurants, etc. We even picked them up from the airport and fit a large equipment box, stroller, and 2 suitcases + all 7 seats used.
    Auk's words to live by:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carpooling once your kid gets bigger. Square or cube the equation if you have more kids.