User Tag List

Page 97 of 352 FirstFirst ... 87888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,940 of 7026

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    matthew: I see. I haven't dealt with a Volvo dealer. I do like the thought of a Volvo wagon with a manual transmission. Alas.
    I LOVE the idea of a volvo wagon with manual transmission. I've noted this here before, but the C30 manual blew my expectations out of the water. The dealer was so horrible to deal with and so far from my house that I ended up with something else. It's a bummer.

Regarding jeeps, I drove a TJ as my daily driver for about 8 years. Including a lot of time on the highway. I loved it, but for my current needs my FJ Cruiser is a better car in every way. It's been more reliable, it's easier to drive, it fits way more dogs and bikes inside, and it's possible to have a conversation while driving. The only issue I have is that it's not a Jeep. I wish I never had to sell mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new sup'ed up V60 looks really awesome too. My final sales person was pretty nice and he'd call my wife from time to time and offer new deals they were running. He was a really nice guy, on the verge of retirement. I didn't have to do any haggling with him though because I got a deal by accident.

I had a Ford affiliate discount and contacted Volvo Dealer #1
    Dealer #1 accepted the discount and gave me a written quote (electronic, email, whatever).
    Salesperson goes on vacation and tells me to contact the sales manager that weekend when I come into buy.
    Sales manager calls me and tells me I was misquoted and giving the Ford employee price. He can't honor that and gives me the affiliate price (like $7K more).
    I call Volvo Dealer #2 and ask if he can match the quote. He says that's insane pricing, but he'll match it. Drove that night and bought it.

We have service done at Dealer #1 because it's 20 minutes closer. They just had a look at the car for a funny thing happening. They couldn't reproduce it and told her sorry. They also told her she didn't need any other work done, see you later. 1 day later - maintenance interval light comes on and email comes "time for service". Grrrrrrrrrrr. Time to go elsewhere - if there was an elsewhere.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I LOVE the idea of a volvo wagon with manual transmission. I've noted this here before, but the C30 manual blew my expectations out of the water. The dealer was so horrible to deal with and so far from my house that I ended up with something else. It's a bummer.

Regarding jeeps, I drove a TJ as my daily driver for about 8 years. Including a lot of time on the highway. I loved it, but for my current needs my FJ Cruiser is a better car in every way. It's been more reliable, it's easier to drive, it fits way more dogs and bikes inside, and it's possible to have a conversation while driving. The only issue I have is that it's not a Jeep. I wish I never had to sell mine.
    Pretty much how I feel. Though I'm guessing you were one of those decadent TJ owners with the inline 6. I just had the poor 4 banger. Thing couldn't hit 70 if you dropped it out of an airplane.

It was great in town and getting to trails and all that kind of stuff -- nothing beats doors and top off on a nice summer day in a Jeep -- but man the box tent flapping at 60 as the poor four banger was wound out in a cabin with no A/C headed down the interstate in the summer....that got old.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    Pretty much how I feel. Though I'm guessing you were one of those decadent TJ owners with the inline 6. I just had the poor 4 banger. Thing couldn't hit 70 if you dropped it out of an airplane.

It was great in town and getting to trails and all that kind of stuff -- nothing beats doors and top off on a nice summer day in a Jeep -- but man the box tent flapping at 60 as the poor four banger was wound out in a cabin with no A/C headed down the interstate in the summer....that got old.
    I'm offended that you would make such an assumption of my decadence. Even if you happen to be right. My first TJ was a Sport with the I6. Traded that in early to take advantage of stupid low mileage (I lived in DC and it sat in a garage most of the time) and picked up a Rubicon with stick. I drove that for 7.5 years as my main vehicle. I didn't have the issue of the roof tent flapping around though. I just took the whole roof assembly off, put on some wet okole seat covers, put the rear bench in storage and drove sans top for most of the time I had it. When I pulled off the seat covers and reinstalled the top and bench, they all looked brand new. That really helped with the sale price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of third rows, I wish the new Tahoe were sold with the third row as a delete option..... Three years ago I took over my father's GMC Yukon and I've been driving it as an airport and utility vehicle for things like Ballers last year. The second row bench folds down flat and there is no third row, meaning I have a huge flat area, long enough to sleep in if I had to do so. It's quite practical actually.

I wish the Tahoe seats were either a delete option or removable. I don't believe either situation is the case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a time in every parent's life when that third row is crucial.

We christened that rear-facing seat with the name of the 4th child of close friends, the kid that pushed us beyond the five passenger limits of our youth.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our Oldsmobile had a third row when I was growing up.

Looking this up on Google I am again reminded of how truly ugly this car was. My friends with kids now have Honda Odyssey minivans and they are so vastly superior it's hard to fathom that nobody thought of them sooner. The rear seat of the Custom Cruiser was truly terrible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    ...I wish the Tahoe seats were either a delete option or removable. I don't believe either situation is the case.
    Why not just buy a Yukon then? They're the same basic vehicle aren't they?

<Edit> I've rented a Tahoe and a Yukon on my last 2 trips to the U.S. Cant remember if the Yukon had the third row or not. The Tahoe definitiely did, because we had to fold it down to fit our luggage in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I wish the Tahoe seats were either a delete option or removable. I don't believe either situation is the case.
    I'll build one out when I get to the Car Store this morning. I think it was a little bit of a knee jerk from GM since Fords and others have had the fold flat 3rd row for a while. GM's version actually takes up cargo space and has a smaller rear hatch opening than the prior model. I have seen them in the past without a 3rd row but I'm not sure if it is possible now either. I sell GMC and Chevy so I'll check both lines.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll look at one again... With all respect to our pal Rydesteel, a trip to the dealership just for fact finding results in several vulture-like salespeople lurking and watching everything you do and asking how much you want to pay each month and when you want to make the purchase. It's annoying as hell and when you shoo them away the sales manager comes out to ask the exact same questions, except this time with even more undertones of pressure.

I drove a Tahoe last fall and it was parked in the front, corner spot of the lot for everyone to see and it was apparently the car the staff drove themselves and it was absolutely filthy. Not a good impression.

I want to love me some GM but the dealerships make it so hard to do so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    ...Need something that holds 3 car seats, a 60-lb dog, and all related personal belongings The new Volvo XC90 looks interesting give the true 3rd row, but I am partial to VW's and the Touareg might fit the bill, with potential TDI engine to boot.
    As a non-U.S. resident I find this an interesting problem. You guys seem to have so many SUV/People Mover/Monster Truck options that are domestically produced and cheaper to buy and run. Why would you spend the money on an "exotic euro" family truckster?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cs124 View Post
    As a non-U.S. resident I find this an interesting problem. You guys seem to have so many SUV/People Mover/Monster Truck options that are domestically produced and cheaper to buy and run. Why would you spend the money on an "exotic euro" family truckster?
    The "exotic euro" cars feel more durable and are finished off better. The GM cars I've been in pop and rattle at 50K miles. The interiors feel cheap at all levels. Even compared to VW Golfs (when I had one).

On the same token - we currently have an XC90. My wife asked me to price out a Chevy Tahoe for her. When I showed her it was about $55K how she wanted it equipped, she gagged. We can get an Audi Q7, BMW X5, Land Rover LR4, new Volvo XC90, etc for the same price.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon White View Post
    The "exotic euro" cars feel more durable and are finished off better. The GM cars I've been in pop and rattle at 50K miles. The interiors feel cheap at all levels. Even compared to VW Golfs (when I had one).

On the same token - we currently have an XC90. My wife asked me to price out a Chevy Tahoe for her. When I showed her it was about $55K how she wanted it equipped, she gagged. We can get an Audi Q7, BMW X5, Land Rover LR4, new Volvo XC90, etc for the same price.
    This, exactly.
    In my life I have owned solely VW's (85 Jetta, 97 Jetta, 00 Golf, 10 Sportwagen), but for one Impreza, which I couldn't get rid of fast enough.
    I want doors that go 'thunk'. not 'clap'.
    I'm not 100% eliminating the Grand Cherokee (w/ diesel) or Explorer, but I've got a long enough track record to know what I like.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you dudes are shopping for cars the wrong way. i won't step foot in a dealership until i know exactly what i'm getting and for what price. dealer margins on EVERY vehicle are readily ascertainable so you know how much you have to work with. sometimes you can work even better deals based on oem incentives to the dealers etc. call a bunch of dealers in your general area and let them fight for your business.

wrt service proximity, i think it is a common misconception that you have to service your car at the dealer from which you bought the car. service is the highest margin business around. they want your business no matter where you purchased from.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

opinions....anyway James I built a Tahoe and a Yukon out on the GM Global site, neither are available without a 3rd row. When my factory rep is in next week I'll se if there is a way to get it done and let you know.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by funcrusher View Post
    service is the highest margin business around. they want your business no matter where you purchased from.
    Took Amie's Fit to the dealer last week for inspection and oil change.

Service Advisor called me in. Air filter and cabin filter were sitting on the counter. Dirty, needing to be replaced. $105 to do it. Dealer cost for parts is $50. $30 on Amazon. So yeah, I was going to pay them $55 to put in new parts when they had already removed the old ones. No thanks.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    My mom wants a wagon. I sent her this earlier today.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydesteel View Post
    opinions....anyway James I built a Tahoe and a Yukon out on the GM Global site, neither are available without a 3rd row. When my factory rep is in next week I'll se if there is a way to get it done and let you know.
    Thanks. It's not a big deal anyway. I looked again online and truth be told, it doesn't look that bad in the back with the seats folded down. Not as nice as my current one but not terrible. Still, it looks like a really high loading height.

Quote Originally Posted by funcrusher View Post
    you dudes are shopping for cars the wrong way. i won't step foot in a dealership until i know exactly what i'm getting and for what price. dealer margins on EVERY vehicle are readily ascertainable so you know how much you have to work with. sometimes you can work even better deals based on oem incentives to the dealers etc. call a bunch of dealers in your general area and let them fight for your business.

wrt service proximity, i think it is a common misconception that you have to service your car at the dealer from which you bought the car. service is the highest margin business around. they want your business no matter where you purchased from.
    I get what you're saying about knowing what you want, but you can't know exactly what they're like until you drive one and touch one and sit in it and the only way to do this is at a dealer. I'm not really in the market for anything right now anyway. There's a part of me that would like something new and fresh but there's another part of me that's very fiscally conservative with big things like this and thinks that putting $700/month more into my retirement savings is probably worth it. So that's what I do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon White View Post

Wow, $55k is amazingly cheap for Q7, X5 etc. we pay double that down here.