User Tag List

Page 87 of 351 FirstFirst ... 777879808182838485868788899091929394959697 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 7005

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by jitahs View Post
    Must be more to it I think, some hidden gotcha. Otherwise all of us 10% tax Californians would fold in a trip to Michoacan to pick up our new cars from the factory like folks used to do with Volvos et. al. Hey their carnitas are fantastic and close to Baja...
    Wouldn't you pay out the ass in their local currency for a car first? Let me find the EPA or Customs link detailing the process.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    Can a person buy a car in Mexico or Canada and "import it" to the US? I suppose there are some import taxes associated with that.
    Not sure why you'd want to import a Canadian market car into the US, but there are a lot of services/brokers available for Canadians wanting to import a US market car into Canada. Generally, as the Canadian dollar approaches parity (or when it it did in the past), the fact that Canadians pay a 10-20% premium for roughly the same car starts to seem kind of ridiculous. We're a relatively small market, and automakers generally sell the same models here as in the states, with only minor differences (metric gauges, daytime running lights, std block heaters and the like).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sk_tle, great story and, as always, stunning pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by randonneur View Post
    Not sure why you'd want to import a Canadian market car into the US, but there are a lot of services/brokers available for Canadians wanting to import a US market car into Canada. Generally, as the Canadian dollar approaches parity (or when it it did in the past), the fact that Canadians pay a 10-20% premium for roughly the same car starts to seem kind of ridiculous. We're a relatively small market, and automakers generally sell the same models here as in the states, with only minor differences (metric gauges, daytime running lights, std block heaters and the like).
    I'm referring to only the unobtainables. People would pay a premium for cars no one else can get here just for the rarity of it.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick snow tire question. I'm having a set of Conti Extreme Winter Contacts mounted to a set of dedicated rims and installed on my car next week. I told the dealer to mount them on plain black steel wheels because I assumed that steel wheels would be way cheaper than a second set of alloys.

Turns out after a bit of looking around that steel wheels really aren't much cheaper than basic alloys. I can get something like a set of Momo Win 2s (winter specific alloy wheels) for a grand total of about $100 more for the set: Win 2 Black

Are there really any advantages to the steel wheels for a set of snow tires? Or does mounting snow tires to alloys just look a little too precious?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would pick a brand name alloy wheel like momo over steel wheels any day of the week. if your roads are treated with salt, steel wheels will rust in the winter surprisingly fast. definitely aluminum over steel if the cost is close.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Are there really any advantages to the steel wheels for a set of snow tires? Or does mounting snow tires to alloys just look a little too precious?
    The conventional wisdom as I heard it is that the steel wheel is tougher and more likely to take a dent without cracking or otherwise failing, so if you have to deal with big potholes hidden in puddles steel's a better bet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steel is an alloy. My winter wheels are on the cheaprst steel rims because I just don't care.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    The conventional wisdom as I heard it is that the steel wheel is tougher and more likely to take a dent without cracking or otherwise failing, so if you have to deal with big potholes hidden in puddles steel's a better bet.
    This is especially true on modern cars with their huge rims and short sidewalls.
    A smart move might be to size down on winter rims if they'll still fit over your brakes.
    Aluminium Alloy seemingly becomes more brittle in ultra-low temps too. The first winter I owned my old Benz, I got caught out on the ice and slid the rear end into a kerb at <5mph.

Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The biggest (and perhaps only) downside to steel wheels ATME in the winter is if you are driving somewhere that also has mud. Mud can build up and solidify on the inner surface of the rim and is MUCH more difficult to get off than on an alloy wheel with larger access area from the front. It can build up enough to produce VERY large imbalance vibrations. Even some alloy rims have a step down from the front spoke area to the back. Mud can hide there too and be difficult to remove even with our inside power-washer car wash setup in the shop.

Driving "sideways" only accelerates the above. Waxing the inside of the rim can help a little.

How much snow/crap builds up? On some of our winter tests we don't even bother balancing the winter wheel/tire after assembly because the amount of snow/mud mass that will accumulate dwarfs any work that a couple ounces of balance weights will fix.

My $.02

RP

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    The biggest (and perhaps only) downside to steel wheels ATME in the winter is if you are driving somewhere that also has mud. Mud can build up and solidify on the inner surface of the rim and is MUCH more difficult to get off than on an alloy wheel with larger access area from the front. It can build up enough to produce VERY large imbalance vibrations. Even some alloy rims have a step down from the front spoke area to the back. Mud can hide there too and be difficult to remove even with our inside power-washer car wash setup in the shop.

Driving "sideways" only accelerates the above. Waxing the inside of the rim can help a little.

How much snow/crap builds up? On some of our winter tests we don't even bother balancing the winter wheel/tire after assembly because the amount of snow/mud mass that will accumulate dwarfs any work that a couple ounces of balance weights will fix.

My $.02

RP
    I know exactly what you're talking about. Thanks for the reminder. I've had it happen with both mud and deep snow. The snow gets on the inside of the rim and then compacts against the outside of the rim, throwing the whole wheel out of balance. My usual solution has been to stick a windshield scraper in between the spokes of the wheel and knock the snow/ice loose. I hadn't thought about maintaining that access, so thanks for the reminder. It's also a good reminder to make sure I have enough tire sidewall (via rim size selection) to avoid unnecessary buildup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How convenient. I just unloaded these after one of my teams used them for about two-three days in Colorado.

After some scraping with a wet finger you can see the step down on the back of the rim where the mud clings to and hides. It's caked on maybe 3-4mm thick at that ridge, and the same up by the spokes where tape on balance weights go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is one of those near a friends house; just as nice. It is parked on a very narrow street, on the inside apex of a turn, right across from another road that T's in. I fear for it.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a line on a FJ40 going on the block soon - same owner for almost 3 decades. It's gonna need a fair amount of work though, he just retired and doesn't have the energy to keep it going anymore.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Musgrave View Post
    I've got a line on a FJ40 going on the block soon - same owner for almost 3 decades. It's gonna need a fair amount of work though, he just retired and doesn't have the energy to keep it going anymore.
    You're a young guy, and so am I...
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha Ha - I've got a cruiser!
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That looks a lot like my dad's '68 in terms of color, wheels, etc.
    He is retiring soonish and will be selling it (and keeping his '79 Super Beetle with <2,000 miles on it as a Sunday driver.)
    I need to get my ass out of the city and live somewhere we can justify a 2nd car to buy it off him.

If I am not in a position to buy it, I will let the Salon know when it goes on the block, and one of youse within driving distance of NJ can have a look if it makes sense.

my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Musgrave View Post
    Ha Ha - I've got a cruiser!
    So do I. But a 40 is the perfect compliment to an 80 or 100.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That there is a beauty.

-Joe