User Tag List

Page 83 of 351 FirstFirst ... 737475767778798081828384858687888990919293 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,660 of 7005

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by Badonkadonk View Post
    that is the coolest fucking thing around
    i have never been in a 3.2 0-60 car... the gtr is a little slower i think and it was ridiculous.
    this platform is going to rule the world
    It's a titch quicker than my old Ducati, only you get a concussion from hitting the head rest rather than a wheelie.

The lack of latency in the brakes and controls will change standards, to put it mildly. Time to sell your m3 and all your bikes - this is it. Throw in an ND mx-5 and an old pick up and you'd have the perfect garage.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Badonkadonk View Post
    that is the coolest fucking thing around
    i have never been in a 3.2 0-60 car... the gtr is a little slower i think and it was ridiculous.
    this platform is going to rule the world
    I've been in an 85S and the acceleration and handling really makes no sense, in traditional automotive terms.

My problem with the car is that for 100K plus, it shouldn't look and feel like a Kia Optima.

I think they need another 3-5 years to get their act together in the fit and finish department, and if the range is up to 350 miles (or the price 30% less) at that point, they will rule the world.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Model 3 and Model X are the non-supercar, less expensive variants.

Tesla won't necessarily rule the world through cars but possibly through batteries. The e-platform is here to stay - they just drive better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Elon: please make an electric motor I can retrofit to my truck. Tired of feeling guilty about the mileage & emissions. Thx

P.S. Or pass the idea to that Wrightspeed fella
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Dear Elon: please make an electric motor I can retrofit to my truck. Tired of feeling guilty about the mileage & emissions. Thx

P.S. Or pass the idea to that Wrightspeed fella
    The knock you hear on your door is the mancard/old truck police ready to revoke yours. Get a grip man!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And there's the fave argument of many dinosaurs that building a battery car is worse for the environment than just driving your old truck. I agree with this sentiment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, I started this thread three and a half years ago because I thought my old car would soon die. It didn't. Until this Saturday, I was still driving it. It made it 342,000 miles without ever having the engine or transmission touched. The other repairs have just gotten to be too much though, and I picked up a rental for this week while I shop for a new car.

I'm looking at lightly used VW Jetta Sportwagens (1-3 years old, 25k or so on the clock). Anyone have any experience with them? I'm looking at both the TDI and the gasser.

What I've read is that they're comfortable and reliable, but repairs can get expensive, especially at the VW dealer. I have never taken a car to the dealer for maintenance in my life, so the dealer premium is a nonissue in my case. Anything else I should know?

If the VW is a bad idea, I might just have to pick up an Abarth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI. On the whole it is solid, great milage, decent power, decent ride, reasonable space. The ergonomics are not as good as the 2000 passat wagon I had before, but I think that is partly because I am 6'3" and I don't love it but it also doesn't give me any reason to complain. VW electronics are not known for their quality and the big maintenance items that show up with more miles can add up in cost quickly, but the cars hold up well and feel solid unlike many of the japanese options, I sold my passat with 135k miles and it still drove nicely. I wish VW still imported a german made passat wagon as I like that size, but the JSW is pretty much the only show in town for a not super expensive car based wagon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lukasz View Post
    And there's the fave argument of many dinosaurs that building a battery car is worse for the environment than just driving your old truck. I agree with this sentiment.
    Generally yes, though it depends on who is building what kind of car where.

The most valid argument against driving your old car around is tail pipe emissions and their direct carcinogenic effects, in addition to the detection of early onset emphysema and asthma in kids raised downwind of heavily-trafficked thoroughfares.

And noise. New cars can be very quiet, both inside and out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jitahs View Post
    Have you heard a V8 recently? The noise is one of the best justifications for keeping old cars on the road.

But your prior sentence is my hangup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need to get the whole hydrogen fuel cell thing going. All these batteries are just toxic to produce and dispose of. Plugging into the power grid for hours to recharge isn't the cleanest thing either. I am glad to see a small company like Tesla develop and push the boundaries. Cant talk to much, i do drive a Cmax hybrid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Have you heard a V8 recently?
    I can hear one idling now! Sounds like old iron, Magnaflow.

Love it when high-strung Prius moms tailgate these guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NFazzio View Post
    Need to get the whole hydrogen fuel cell thing going..
    DOA. No infra - too volatile, no political will.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auto-crossing an old F100.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DOA. No infra - too volatile, no political will.
    There's not *really* EV charging infrastructure either, Superchargers not withstanding.

Hydrogen has a power density problem. I once calculated that a busy fuel station would need basically continual deliveries, if the tankers were the same size as the rigs that deliver gasoline.

But something tells me Toyota isn't dumping billions into R&D for nothing...
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    There's not *really* EV charging infrastructure either, Superchargers not withstanding.
    You're right, a house with an extension cord is...UNTHINKABLE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    I need to drive 300 miles tomorrow morning. I think I will stick with an irrelevant predecessor.
    Totally agree with this. Doesn't work for me as an everyday car and I certainly wouldn't choose it as my fun car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generally yes, though it depends on who is building what kind of car where.

The most valid argument against driving your old car around is tail pipe emissions and their direct carcinogenic effects, in addition to the detection of early onset emphysema and asthma in kids raised downwind of heavily-trafficked thoroughfares.

How clean is coal, though? That's probably what most Teslas in the USA are being powered by. I don't think it is possible within the laws of physics for the resources (including clean air) to build and operate a new car to be lower than the resources needed to keep driving an old car around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Philster View Post
    Totally agree with this. Doesn't work for me as an everyday car and I certainly wouldn't choose it as my fun car.
    You drive more than 289 miles one way per day? My condolences.

The 85s isn't a weekend car, it's an everyday car. Guys who can afford them can easily pick up a 911 for fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lukasz View Post
    How clean is coal, though? That's probably what most Teslas in the USA are being powered by. I don't think it is possible within the laws of physics for the resources (including clean air) to build and operate a new car to be lower than the resources needed to keep driving an old car around.
    "Probably"? Why don't you do some research, as I did for another post, which contains a partial answer.

P.S. Like you guys can afford (I can't) an 85d anyway.