User Tag List

Page 80 of 351 FirstFirst ... 707172737475767778798081828384858687888990 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,600 of 7005

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't even pretend to play in Fred's league.

Every time someone asks me what to buy for a track car my answer is Miata, though I wish they all weren't convertibles. I don't particularly care for convertibles and sunroofs.

Did they lower the Cg on the new Miata? That was my biggest gripe during development when we were benchmarking (and we had a Miata on a EVERY test). Even the first BRZ prototypes had crazy low mass distribution and negligible brake dive. I've not driven a modified Miata, I imagine they kick ass when done well.

Cars that are fun to drive at any speed are my favorites. Miata, BRZ, Fiesta ST. The Solstice/Sky could have been so awesome. Shame.

Can't we just talk about cool cars without being asses?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How does your 2015 Golf shift (or did you get the manual?). We have one and I swore the first time I drove it that they accidentally dropped the DSG in it. Like hyper aggressive t/c lockup. It's ok once you get into 2nd gear, but 1st feels odd.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

We were doing fine before the editorial.

The NC was purely for the ageing market for sure, but with suspension mods kicks ass. The CG of my NC is way, way too high, even with the sport suspension. It has a ton of brake dive, accel squat and roll, somewhat cured through heavier sways. The sways alone allowed a lot quicker set/much quicker turn in. The new car is alleged to have a lower Cg (it's visibly lower compared to an NC) while maintaining ride quality which is just a home run with much lighter weight.

If it goes 180hp above 4k rpm and 140+ lb-ft at 2250 lbs. that would be really nice.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy cow it lives. Super sweet dewd. Must see in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by justinf View Post
    Attachment 72067

For Jason Musgrave and others with an interest, this truck has been a huge project this year. I've owned it since new in 1989 but this year has brought a total overhaul: 5.3L Chevy Vortec engine and tranny conversion, 2" OME lift and suspension, fresh 1968 Toyota Fashion Green paint. Have some 33" BFGs on order. It's like a different truck, only. . . well, still my truck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attachment 72067

For Jason Musgrave and others with an interest, this truck has been a huge project this year. I've owned it since new in 1989 but this year has brought a total overhaul: 5.3L Chevy Vortec engine and tranny conversion, 2" OME lift and suspension, fresh 1968 Toyota Fashion Green paint. Have some 33" BFGs on order. It's like a different truck, only. . . well, still my truck.
    So this is the reason bikes and wheels were for sale? Totally worth it. Was there any serious rust repair before the re-paint?
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Latest tank of fuel in the UZJ100 = 19.2mpg.

2014-08-29 18.43.54.jpg

About 90% highway, but some piddling around suburbs in NJ and VA on either end of the journey. 500lbs of extra weight in the back.

Best ever, and wasn't even trying until the last third of the tank.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    So this is the reason bikes and wheels were for sale? Totally worth it. Was there any serious rust repair before the re-paint?
    No rust! From one obsessive pursuit to another, yes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No rust! From one obsessive pursuit to another, yes.
    Sad to say the Carbones have not been on the road yet. I'm thinking about selling them and some other things to fund the construction of a storage/sleeping platform in my 100...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attachment 72067

This is really beautiful. Curious about the choice of the Chevy engine over diesel. Did you consider both? Any details of the build would be much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having fun with these in the office today

stomper.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Philster View Post
    This is really beautiful. Curious about the choice of the Chevy engine over diesel. Did you consider both? Any details of the build would be much appreciated.
    I'm not Justin, but I drove an '89 FJ-62 for 12 years and looked into this many times (stock mileage is horrendous). 4BT is a common-ish diesel swap. The Chevy is a lot cheaper, easier to find, more parts, swap kits already out there, and gets just about as good of mileage as the 4BT would...plus then you can drive it faster than 63 mph - lol.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Musgrave View Post
    I'm not Justin, but I drove an '89 FJ-62 for 12 years and looked into this many times (stock mileage is horrendous). 4BT is a common-ish diesel swap. The Chevy is a lot cheaper, easier to find, more parts, swap kits already out there, and gets just about as good of mileage as the 4BT would...plus then you can drive it faster than 63 mph - lol.
    Couldn't have said it better. In fact I think JM was the one who first told me this, in advance of my own findings that he was right on.

I used a donor engine (5.3L Chevy Vortec V8 from an 03 Tahoe) and tranny (2wd from an 01 1500 pickup). . . the transmission adapter requires a 2wd trans, come to find out, but the truck still runs 4wd. We used custom exhaust, Autometer gauges, lots of custom engine bay fab and a honking radiator, kept the Chevy computer and port. I'll take a pic over the weekend of the engine bay if you like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll take a pic over the weekend of the engine bay if you like.
    yes yes yes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jitahs View Post
    (disclaimer: the following, nor any other post of mine, is not intended to be funny. Maybe drole, but that's not for me to say. Remember, kids - humor is generational.)

I drove a 2013 Golf R - much smoother at low speed than the 135i I drove, high speed straight line nearly identical in its ability to telescope space sanguinely.

Very heavy, understeering like a pig, supremely boring around town. Pretty boring going fast too. Just pretty boring, like this comment. The new one is supposed to take care of that. The steering. I mean.

(gee, I hope that was alright)
    I thought the 2013 R was all kinds of amazing. Sure, the R weighs more, but it's got 4wd. The thing cornered nicely. Not sure about the understeer comment. Just bought the 2015 GTI b/c I coldn't wait another year for the new R. I'd love a bit more power coming out of four wheels, though.
    Geoff used to race around on a Brodie Sovereign
    Geoff Morgan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GonaSovereign View Post
    I thought the 2013 R was all kinds of amazing. Sure, the R weighs more, but it's got 4wd. The thing cornered nicely. Not sure about the understeer comment. Just bought the 2015 GTI b/c I coldn't wait another year for the new R. I'd love a bit more power coming out of four wheels, though.
    Don't listen to me - I DD a roller skate. Yesterday I understeered (front end pushes) a friend's new is350, so numb. The ct200h, believe it or not, is a lot more fun <40mph, changes direction more quickly. Slow, but fun. Most sane people on the planet would think the R is great.

Anyway the 2015 GTI is intriguing, 4wd not necessary for the Bay Area. How do you like it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jason, in a weird 3-way tie-in Mad Mike's new control knuckle effectively makes the front end of his car a 650b low trail, keeping the steering plane horizontal with max lock. Very cool.

Ok as you were.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a GTI, but another day with our 2015 Golf SEL. It's not as athletic as the Mazda3, but it's a car that gets better as you push it. Drive it around at 20% like your grandma and it is fairly wonky. But at 70-80% the aggressive t/c lockup tuning on the auto makes all kinds of sense (seriously this thing feels like the DSG), turbo engine growls nicely and there is some decent scoot. The regular Golf (or the GTI) have not been great at-the-limit cars recently IMHO (a lot of this thanks goes to VWs always on electric nanny). But slightly below this they are pretty darn good.

I like the car more with the 17s (from the SE) than the 18s that our car came with - you don't lose much at the limit, but they do take the edge off small chop. I wouldn't want to chase a smartly driven Mazda3 in this (though it certainly has more oomph) up a twisty mountain, but at a pace just under that (with your kids in back for example) it's pretty fun.

The rear view camera hidden under the VW logo (it is quite clearly audible everyone it tilts up to show or hide the camera) strikes me as something that will eventually go wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, tech wealth makes for wedgey cars in the land of Sly Stone.

mclaren.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you like the 2015 GTI?
    I bought a 2014 just as the 2015 models were hitting.
    It was too good of a deal for me to pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by GonaSovereign View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jitahs View Post
    Ah, tech wealth makes for wedgey cars in the land of Sly Stone.

mclaren.jpg
    The sounds that car makes are incredible.