Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    The two small cars I want in my driveway.

A perfect balance atmo - The smaller one easily holds a couple bikes. The larger one will take you across the country in style and comfort.
    A slight edit: A perfect balance atmo - The smaller one easily holds a couple bikes. The larger one will take you across the country in style and comfort, and hold a bike in a pinch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The wife wanted something that could fit a dog crate in back without folding the rear seats. I wanted something with enough room for a bike in back, but with a manual transmission and a non-zero fun-to-drive factor. Then I figured out that a 2008 Subaru Forester XT Sports has essentially the same drive train as the 2002 WRX it would replace, including a five speed, if I could find one. Allegedly only 200 manuals with the less-dorky-than-standard-Forester Sports body kit were made in 2008, the last year before Subaru turned the Forester into an SUV. I settled in for a long search.

Less than 24 hours later, this turned up at a local dealership:
    20110925-_MG_8439.jpg

Giddyup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jscott View Post
    The wife wanted something that could fit a dog crate in back without folding the rear seats. I wanted something with enough room for a bike in back, but with a manual transmission and a non-zero fun-to-drive factor. Then I figured out that a 2008 Subaru Forester XT Sports has essentially the same drive train as the 2002 WRX it would replace, including a five speed, if I could find one. Allegedly only 200 manuals with the less-dorky-than-standard-Forester Sports body kit were made in 2008, the last year before Subaru turned the Forester into an SUV. I settled in for a long search.
    Nice. Very nice. I'm amazed at how hard it is to find any sort of manual transmission'd Subaru, especially used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cody.wms View Post
    Nice. Very nice. I'm amazed at how hard it is to find any sort of manual transmission'd Subaru, especially used.
    I don't know what's up with that. Subie's 4EAT doesn't compare well these days; the 5-speed manual is pretty good, though my 02 had a weak first-gear synchro that made some entertaining noises in cold weather. I haven't really checked out the 2012 lines but I guess they have a new 5-speed auto in the 6-cyl Legacy and a CVT in the Impreza, in a bit to improve fuel economy. I imagine manuals would be common in WRXes, but I've been surprised before.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with my foz. I hear that just about any 2004 WRX or STi part will bolt right on, if I can stop spending money on bike stuff maybe I can increase the grin factor a bit.
    Last edited by jscott; 11-04-2011 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Tranny nomenclature

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear that it is pretty easy to get bolt on HP increases with those - i.e. midpipe and downpipe upgrades supposedly do wonders.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    I hear that it is pretty easy to get bolt on HP increases with those - i.e. midpipe and downpipe upgrades supposedly do wonders.
    The Forester (2.5 XT and XT Sports models, anyway) has basically the same power plant as the WRX of the same vintage - 2.5L turbo rated for 224HP. The larger STi turbo and plumbing will bolt on, getting you to about 300HP. Which is totally pointless for a daily driver. Sounds like fun, but not gonna do it. I'd love to have some STi brake and steering bits, though.

I am also digging the huge moonroof and great all-around visibility in the foz, as well as the relatively cavernous hatch area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have a VW Golf TDI GLS. It averages about 40mpg. I never put gas in the thing. It carries 4 bikes on the roof. Drives on the highway as smoothly as a much larger car, accelerates super quickly, steers nimbly but much more predictably than say a Mini Cooper. It is a real 4 door, so it is roomy and comfortable inside too. It is just a great car. I'd buy a new one in a second.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we finally decided to get serious about selling this thing. I'll regret it someday, but I'm enjoying the E30 a LOT these days...
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About a week ago, I bought a 2011 Ford F-150 with the new EcoBoost twin-turbocharged direct-injected V6. It's really a remarkable thing. 365 bhp, 420 lb./ft. of torque, and EPA rated for 23 mpg highway in a 5200 pound vehicle. Plus it is an absolute pleasure to drive, and the fit, finish and creature comforts (in the Lariat trim level, at least) are as good as any vehicle I've ever driven. If I could de-badge the interior and remove the 4WD selector, I'd plop anybody down in it and have them guess what kind of vehicle they were in. I'd be willing to bet that BMW/M-B/Lexus would get more votes than Ford by a factor of ten. Leaving aside the usual tut-tutting about how this is the blunt instrument I'm using to sodomize Mother Gaia, this is a remarkable vehicle. I'm not sure there's a single vehicle that does so many disparate things so capably.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure there's a single vehicle that does one thing with so much focus. Pure to the core in the way only a British car can be.

Morgan 3 Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    Acura looks like it might be manufacturing a bicycle-friendly vehicle with the ZDX model.
    Will have to visit a dealership to see if the rear hatch allows clearance.
    URL: 2011 Acura ZDX | Photos, Videos, Exterior, Interior, Colors, 360s | Acura.com
    You can do better at your Acura dealer:

A road bike easily fits inside with the seats folded.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I currently want one of these. Lexus CT 200h

I'd much rather have one of these though - if only they ever come to the US. When I was in Portugal - I saw them everywhere.

Last edited by Brandon White; 11-08-2011 at 01:26 PM. Reason: added want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This summer our '02 Volvo S40 was totaled out, and our hand forced, we picked up an off-lease '08 Audi A4 Avant with only 29K miles. Audi Certified, extended warranty through 2014. Came down to either that or a new Subaru Outback, which were in short supply, and which, once outfitted in any way similar to the B6 Audi (leather, non-CVT tranny, sunroof, etc.), cost $10K more than we paid.

BTW, natnoj - back seats do not fold completely flat as you noted (although the old Passat and new Jetta wagons do), I've slept back there about a dozen times now, and it's really not that bad. Just imagine you're sleeping in a Craftmatic Adjustable and consider it a good thing. Dog doesn't seem to mind either.

Mucho thanks to those who spoke up in this thread and to Delicious (who owned two B6's at the time and just traded one for a new B7) for the info and inspiration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God love the English, this is silly, I want one. (Better pic than the cgi pic above)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Velobran - That 1 Series wagon is superb! I try to keep an eye on hot Euro "tourers" but I missed that one. I did have my eyes on the Accord Tourer for a couple years, praying it would come to the US. Prayers answered!

EddieB - I sorta missed the dinner conversation on the A4 this weekend. And if we didn't tend to keep our cars for a decade or so, I'd have been more comfy with the idea of a used A4 Avant. But after owning 2 Acuras for a total of 19 years, the TSX had the inside track.

Small wagons are cool.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another hatchback/wagon fan here for about 20 years...Golf GL, MB 300TD, GTI VR6, S4 Avant, and now a Volvo V50. I drove the little 118D in Italy a couple years ago on vacation, and it was superb. For kicks the other day, I was on BMW UK's site configuring some of the super cool models they offer there. I'd love a 3-series diesel wagon with a manual transmission...

Turbo love:

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cody.wms View Post
    We had to wait a good two months to receive delivery of my XT Outback in 2005. We pair that up with a 2000 Jeep Wrangler, both have over 120k miles. I don't think I'll ever sell the Jeep, I LOVE it.
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Velobran - That 1 Series wagon is superb! I try to keep an eye on hot Euro "tourers" but I missed that one. I did have my eyes on the Accord Tourer for a couple years, praying it would come to the US. Prayers answered!

EddieB - I sorta missed the dinner conversation on the A4 this weekend. And if we didn't tend to keep our cars for a decade or so, I'd have been more comfy with the idea of a used A4 Avant. But after owning 2 Acuras for a total of 19 years, the TSX had the inside track.

Small wagons are cool.
    I saw the new TSX wagon pull in front of my house the other day and I had to go outside to see it up close. Looked very very nice. And of course easier to get than a 1-series hatchback. Its on my shortlist. But I might "cheap out" and get a Fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    But I might "cheap out" and get a Fit.
    I'll shortly have one of each!

I think they'll make a good pair. The Fit is intensely practical and nearly perfect around town. It get a little fatiguing after a couple hours on the road, though. I expect the TSX will be an excellent long-distance companion, with a nice dose of power and luxury. I keep reading reviews that talk about how well-balanced and entertaining it is, one of those cars that manages to transcend its prosaic parts. It's certainly been satisfying on my short test drives.

I drove the TSX back-to-back with a 328ix, thinking I'd understand why the Bimmer would be worth $11k more. Instead I found two extremely competent cars with very different personalities. And if I'm honest with myself the TSX suits me better.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott G. View Post
    God love the English, this is silly, I want one. (Better pic than the cgi pic above)
    Another one for good measure:

British Car Day 021 by Cody Wms, on Flickr