Page 5 of 350 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

We are a two car house. I have a mini cooper, which I love. I have gone car camping with it, a mountain bike on the roof, gear in the back and clothes to go to work meetings during the day. (pic from said awesome trip: http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h8...e/IMG_0252.jpg )

It does great on gas mileage, with snow tires it is pretty much rad.

However we traded in our 06 Impreza and wanted to get another impreza but the 2010 was not as nice. Laura wanted something bigger for the dog and bikes. So we got a forester. I would never have looked at one, and tried to talk her out of it. But man that car is great. Hauls a ton of stuff, room for the dog. Can get 32mpg with the cruise control set on 72mph.

I secretly want a regular cab tacoma in the worst way, always wanted one. Maybe when I move next year.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife and I share a 1988 Toyota Landcruiser. We've had newer/nicer cars in the past, but they've never been worth it. Our last newish car was a 2002 VW Eurovan Weekender. Great vehicle, could fit 4 bikes complete with 4 people, slept up to 6, 25mpg all day on the highway. Downside was I didn't pay cash, and overall with insurance, gas, payment, it cost us $40 per hour we actually used it. The landcruiser's got a crapload of room in it, I don't care about the interior which makes taking dogs/bikes easier on me. Insurance is laughable even in Oakland, around $400 a year.

The 10mpg sucks, but it would take us 20 years to recover the cost of buying, say, a Fit to replace it at our current rate of use.

What I would go for in a second is a diesel AWD Eurovan, assuming I was in a position to pay cash for one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great examples of what's possible out there. It is important to consider how often it's driven and payback for the fuel savings vs use. I don't drive a lot daily. My car might sit all week since I ride my bicycle to work, but I like to be able to take road trips. Hauling bikes is vital for me. I'd like to mount drop-out holders in whatever I end up with. I'm still thinking diesel, but I'm worried the Golf might be too short. Thus the interest in the wagon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was super into cars in high school- even had a full tube chassis dirt track car. Then I got into bikes and didn't drive a car once for the next twelve years. Eventually I got a car again- a used '85 BMW 325E that I rebuilt. She was named Heidi and I eventually sold her with 195,000 miles on her- loved that car and still wished I had it. Very easy to work on, 30 mpg+ city and handled really nice the way I had it set up. I needed a four door so I bought a 2002 Impeza RS. The Impreza is an awesome snow car and was as reliable as a brick. Now that I have three kids I really like our '02 VW Jetta wagon- it's bigger inside than you would think, gets great mileage and is pretty easy to work on. The handling is a bit mushy but it's very comfortable- I highly recommend it.

I love performance cars and I really enjoy driving them but I just don't have the resources to own one- that's why I have friends that have race cars. I get to work on their cars and then go home! I'd love to own a nice classic car someday- a 356 would be great but I'd settle for an early 911.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have reached the point (63, kids gone, wife gone) that practical no longer need apply.

Arch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Arch.

YUP ;) neat car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arch
    You have excellent taste. I don't believe there is a performance, hotrod, racecar, looker, etc. car in the world that matches the Cobra.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Firenze View Post
    I have reached the point (63, kids gone, wife gone) that practical no longer need apply.

Arch
    Side Oiler? Police Interceptor?

Is this an original body and chassis? What number?

Details please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not an original. It is a Factory Five built by me. Took two years to build, on the road for a year and 4,500 miles. Engine is small block that I built up with cam, heads, etc. Just shy of 400 hp.

Thanks,
    Arch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not an original. It is a Factory Five built by me. Took two years to build, on the road for a year and 4,500 miles. Engine is small block that I built up with cam, heads, etc. Just shy of 400 hp.
    h
    Man,
    I always wanted to do one of those. Current project is a 72 Cutlass convertible, not a 442, with a 350 rocket engine. The car has 73,000 original miles but has been sitting a long time. It will be set up with modern brakes and suspension upgrades. I figure that driving that is a great perk for anyone willing to work support for me on a 24 hour race, or longer.

Who's in?
    Dovid@dhoffman.consulting

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a thing for old Toyotas too. . . the best. There are 2 '89s taking up valuable drive space around here, an FJ62 and a 1st gen 4Runner. Both cool.

I am really stoked, though, after trading my 07 335i in for a 11 Cooper S. This little guy kills. And, I got a big chunk of money back in my pocket.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by justinf View Post
    I have a thing for old Toyotas too. . . the best. There are 2 '89s taking up valuable drive space around here, an FJ62 and a 1st gen 4Runner. Both cool.

I am really stoked, though, after trading my 07 335i in for a 11 Cooper S. This little guy kills. And, I got a big chunk of money back in my pocket.
    I can't get rid of my FJ62. It's just got too much personality compared to the outbacks I've looked at.

Also, nice Cooper. My coworker has a cooper JCW convertible. Fun little thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firenze, mind telling me some basic specs. on the engine? I've built an 355 for my 66 Nova using orig. camelhump heads (big valves) orig. alumin intake, Comp Cams XE284H and flat tops...this works out to 10:1.

Dhoff - Neat car. HAHA if it DID have an big block you'd have to carry spare gas cans!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by justinf View Post
    Totally digging the new Countryman. I "had" to drive my ex's Cooper around for a few day...that is a damn fun car. Now to get an AWD Countryman.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post of the year.

And a damned fine ride too!

Arch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too Tall,
    The engine started out life as:
    95 Ford Motorsports 5.0 crate engine
    9.0:1 compression ratio
    H.O. Roller Cam 268 duration .444 lift
    Motorsport performer RPM 4V intake
    Duraspark distributor
    Edelbrock 600 cfm carburetor w/ electric choke

As with many things in my life, I simply couldn't leave it alone. So I added a few things:
    Performer RPM 2.02 heads
    Gordon Levy custom Comp cam
    Victor Jr intake
    Gordon Levy Custom push rods
    Pro magnum roller rockers
    Holley 670 street avenger

While there are certainly faster and more powerful engines around, this one meets my needs. Revs as freely as anything I have driven right up to my self imposed red line of 6,000 RPM. Will putt alone at 2,000 RPM/70MPH all day long. Will scare women and most small children. My daughter loves it even if it gives her "bad hair"

Fun stuff.
    BTW, I have always loved the Nova, great car.
    Thanks
    Arch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i am interested in the coming wave of small suvs that should get a diesel.

not that it would be the most practical, but if i could merge a 1984 saab 900 turbo with my quattro A4 that might be my ideal car. saab panels / glass / outward aesthetics, back seats, trunk, and ignition key placement with the a4 engine, manual trans / quattro and front seats. hot hot and hot. oh, wait, instead of the audi gauges, while i am bastardizing, how about the dashboard and gauges off a a mid-80s 944.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just picked this up. Note the 1" trailer hitch. The associated bike rack was included with the sale. One original owner and I know him, so it's true. 118,000 miles. All records. 1990.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Just picked this up. Note the 1" trailer hitch. The associated bike rack was included with the sale. One original owner and I know him, so it's true. 118,000 miles. All records. 1990.
    My sis had one that was track prep'd by some honcho. My head was over the windshield but it was a hoot. I could spin it with an flick of the wheel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice. Those early ones are really light. Gonna track it or keep it stock?