Page 4 of 350 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

The two small cars I want in my driveway.

A perfect balance atmo - The smaller one easily holds a couple bikes. The larger one will take you across the country in style and comfort.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm waiting for the Volvo D5 diesel engine or the Subaru diesel boxer. They can wrap whatever kind of body around it, I'll take it.

Bring Subaru Diesel to the US! | Facebook

If our XC70 dies before either of these are available, I'll be a V-Dub TDI owner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want Volkswagen to come through on the mothballed return of the Microbus: Volkswagen Microbus - Concept Cars - Motor Trend
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billrick View Post
    I'm waiting for the Volvo D5 diesel engine or the Subaru diesel boxer. They can wrap whatever kind of body around it, I'll take it.
    Every year at the Philadelphia Auto Show, I ask the Volvo reps to give us the diesel. I explain that their current offerings are a 1/2 ton heavier and get worse gas mileage than my 17 year old Volvo, and if they want me to take them seriously they need bring the diesel here. A V70 that got 40-45 mpg would be phenomenal, but I do not hold my breath.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    No doubt the TDI Jetta wagon fits your model. That said I like the idea of recycled cars. Look at all the inexpensive 70's and 80's GM cars that can be had for dirt cheap. Take that car, lightly restore it with an modern LS engine out of an SUV wreck with an overdrive automatic...got it? If you spent $10,000 you did it wrong. Furthermore that vehicle will not go into an landfill (several times) or have to be manufactured several times, nobody will put a gun to your head for it and it will last as long as you care to maintain it. These cars are ridiculously comfortable and reasonably safe. With regards to the question do these make an "statement" or not? Well no kidding, but you have to make yourself happy and me personally I will never stop appreciating all the thumbs up I get when driving my 1951 or 1966 chevys. FWIIW the best d@mn car I ever had and hope to have it again someday was an 1968 chevy Fastback three on the tree 327. Super reliable, fast, comfortable and would hold 10 dead bodies in the trunk
    I love everything about this post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hmbatrail View Post
    *snip*

I have a 2003 Subaru Baja...I genuinely don't give a shit.

Practicality has a beauty all its own. I saw nothing wrong w/the Pontiac Aztek.

I'd take any one of these:

stare at more parked cars

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a shame they don't make these anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cody.wms View Post
    It's a shame they don't make these anymore.

Oh no, I just found two of those for sale, both within 90 minutes of me, one with 17K miles for $7K, and one with 30K miles for $6K.

Does the back seat fold flat?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EddieBirdsell View Post
    Oh no, I just found two of those for sale, both within 90 minutes of me, one with 17K miles for $7K, and one with 30K miles for $6K.

Does the back seat fold flat?
    Not sure, but you can do redneck shit like this:

It basically has Ford Explorer guts, so maintenance shouldn't be too bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    I want Volkswagen to come through on the mothballed return of the Microbus: Volkswagen Microbus - Concept Cars - Motor Trend
    There are vans like that all over Japan. I think they're mostly Subarus.

more here.

They're TINY little 660cc engines, fun to drive though and surprisingly spacious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Sambar. My favorite one:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2010 Jetta TDI Sedan.....

Stick; diesel (32-35 around town; 45'ish on the highway). Seats fold down in back and I have no problem getting my 56 bikes in taking the front wheel off. Lots of low end torque (it's a diesel, no?). Great ride.

Some at work tell me that guys my age have been known to get their teenage daughters Jettas when they get they need a car; I could give a sh*t if that is the image, I don't have a daughter, and it really doesn't matter to me.

When looking 18-24 months ago I was frustrated by the lack of diesel options in America; almost all of the models I was looking at have diesel offerings in Japan and Europe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm shopping for a car and will purchase sometime this summer. Like Marco, I want a diesel but am frustrated by the offerings. I've wanted a diesel since the early Rabbits hit our shore with them back in about '78 or so. Diesel or not, I want something that gets reasonable fuel economy. LOTS of vehicles will get you 30mpg, but that isn't really very good. My '81 Civic gasser got over 40 easy.

What I'd like is 35mpg+ in a vehicle I can stand at least two bikes up in w/o front wheels. If I can't get it I'm going all out mpg and will probably get a VW diesel wagon. I can then at least get good mileage and carry them broken down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just bought a Golf TDi, amazing little car, Saab has a GTi and can stand his bikes up with the seatpost removed. I lay my Goodrich down and it fits just fine with the front wheel removed, 63.5 frame over 101cm wheelbase. I still in the breakin period but my last fill up was 33mpg. I average around 30k miles a year for work, the difference in fuel cost was amazing when I ran the numbers.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Ryan View Post
    I'm shopping for a car and will purchase sometime this summer. Like Marco, I want a diesel but am frustrated by the offerings. I've wanted a diesel since the early Rabbits hit our shore with them back in about '78 or so. Diesel or not, I want something that gets reasonable fuel economy. LOTS of vehicles will get you 30mpg, but that isn't really very good. My '81 Civic gasser got over 40 easy.

What I'd like is 35mpg+ in a vehicle I can stand at least two bikes up in w/o front wheels. If I can't get it I'm going all out mpg and will probably get a VW diesel wagon. I can then at least get good mileage and carry them broken down.
    Craig,

Check out the Honda Fit. The rear seat folds in such a way as to create a huge well in the floor right behind the seats. Two bikes can stand in there perpendicular to the center line of the car. EPA ratings on these are conservative, high 30s are obtainable on the highway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    Craig,

Check out the Honda Fit. The rear seat folds in such a way as to create a huge well in the floor right behind the seats. Two bikes can stand in there perpendicular to the center line of the car. EPA ratings on these are conservative, high 30s are obtainable on the highway.
    Seconded.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amie and I are in the process of buying a Fit now. It is somewhat maddening. I am accustomed to purchasing vehicles from the family mechanic who can get anything via auction. He was quoting me some prices this morning, and until you get done with auction fees, inspection, transportation, and a small profit for the dealer, a 2009 with 20K will cost more than a new one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightly used small cars aren't the deals they used to be. I think this is the first time in my life that the best value is to just buy new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did the same thing with my Subaru. Could barely find a used with a manual trans., but they were all more than just buying a new one.

When you can buy new for well under invoice, and at a good interest rate, it seems like new is the new used, as far as deals go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought ours new last October, and it was almost painless. I called every Honda dealer in a 25 mile radius of Boston and told them I wanted their best price on a new Fit Sport with an automatic - price, destination, tax, title, everything. Some were great and gave me exactly what I asked for. Some started the stereotypical car salesman bullshit. They got dropped from the shopping list. We went to the lowest price dealer first and drove the car. We liked the car and the dealer. After briefly considering driving around all day to see if someone might beat the price, we bought it. From my first call to buying the car was about 10 days. It cost less than I expected - a combination of the end of the model year and end of the month, I think.

Interestingly, the place the dealer tried to gouge us was accessories. We wanted wheelocks, floormats and a cargo net. They quoted us prices above MSRP. I went online and got them for 30% under MSRP, delivered to my door the same day I picked up the car...
    GO!