User Tag List

Page 342 of 352 FirstFirst ... 332333334335336337338339340341342343344345346347348349350351 ... LastLast
Results 6,821 to 6,840 of 7026

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

https://electrek.co/2023/11/14/rivia...x-not-obvious/

I hope they did canary releases and didn't update all cars at the same time. I am also surprised they don't do like many companies having an A and B version of the firmwares installed at all time on separate partitions so that if one fail system automatically failback to the older version. It looks a bit amateurish.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 11-16-2023 at 03:11 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aha - that possibly explains the two Rivians on a flatbed recovery truck headed towards 10th Ave in Manhattan. Didn’t look new. Wondered if they had been repo’d.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luckily Rivian doesn't send out the updates all at once. I didn't receive it, but I also check the Rivian forum to see what is going on before I update. I have had update issues with consumer electronics that were annoying but on my car I can wait. At least most of the cars are drivable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That lot where they tore down a building just north of the North 59th St Bridge bike path towards Vernon Blvd has over 80 (I gave up counting at that yesterday) brand new of both Rivian models in all kinds of colors on yesterday’s ride. I must say that going by it most days and what @rec head has said and others I do find myself taking a little more time each day just looking at them and pondering.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah not the kind of "device" where I would want to be the guinea pig.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would it be acceptable that I continue calling "them" toasters?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Would it be acceptable that I continue calling "them" toasters?
    Yes. Or a microwave oven or refrigerator. My rolling appliance still works and conveyed me to Dallas a couple weeks ago from Chicago. I can report zero fires and zero dead batteries but I can also report a continued frustration at the stupid UI and lack of Apple integration.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    That lot where they tore down a building just north of the North 59th St Bridge bike path towards Vernon Blvd has over 80 (I gave up counting at that yesterday) brand new of both Rivian models in all kinds of colors on yesterday’s ride.
    Whatever happened to all them dirty diesels that Vee Dubya got caught cheating with?

Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Whatever happened to all them dirty diesels that Vee Dubya got caught cheating with?
    They could've created a massive Nurburgring biofuel racing series. Funnel all of the fryer waste in Germany to trackside. Best-smelling race series ever.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    That lot where they tore down a building just north of the North 59th St Bridge bike path towards Vernon Blvd has over 80 (I gave up counting at that yesterday) brand new of both Rivian models in all kinds of colors on yesterday’s ride. I must say that going by it most days and what @rec head has said and others I do find myself taking a little more time each day just looking at them and pondering.
    Last I heard, the Rivians sitting on lots had to do with not being able to deliver them fast enough. Now that they are actually making them at a decent pace there are bottlenecks past the factory. Service centers can't keep up either. But it is still way better than any other car I've ever owned. We just picked up a 2020 Model 3 and I was expecting a lot more from the software. There are definitely features that the Rivian doesn't have but overall I like it's UI over Tesla's. I wanted a hybrid but the price and features of the used Tesla made it worth it.

Oh, and get this, I sold my 2009 Honda Fit with 46,000 miles on it for $7700! I still can't get over that. I think after the $5000 I got in the Cash-for-Clunkers program I paid around $10,000 for it. I don't have much luck but for some reason I've had good luck selling the past two used cars. I made $2000 when I traded in my minivan for the Rivian.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wouldn’t you really rather have a Buick?
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A plethora from today’s ride….the last one’s color and I can’t read the plate but I think it’s prolly something expected….

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up for the wheels on that old Ford.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Placing this here bc I am not sure where it belongs but we have discussed manuals here….from an article about pedestrian deaths at night in the NYT (and interesting as a cyclist who was assaulted by a guy and his car texting and driving who drifted in front of me)….

“Smartphones — and the way they can distract both drivers and pedestrians — aren’t uniquely American. But there is one thing that is still distinctly so: the pervasiveness in the U.S. of automatic transmissions, which help free up a driver’s hand for other uses. Just 1 percent of all new passenger vehicles sold this year in the U.S. had manual transmissions, according to the online car-shopping resource Edmunds. In Europe, manual transmissions are declining in popularity as a share of new light vehicles sold. But they still make up about 70 to 75 percent of cars on the road, estimated Felipe Munoz, senior analyst at JATO Dynamics.”

Here is the whole article…
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...smid=url-share

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found myself in the for sale section on supercoopers dot com last night. So glad I am mature and responsible (and the 500hp show car is way out of my range):

https://www.supercoopers.com/for-sale/1976-vtec-wagon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I don't know how they did it, but I think that the door is actually bigger than the car itself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like it should have steering wheels at both ends.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    I don't know how they did it, but I think that the door is actually bigger than the car itself.
    The doors are the same, driver's or passenger's, not mirror image. So that means the driver side door opens suicide-style and the passenger side door opens live-long-and-prosper-style.

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Looks like it should have steering wheels at both ends.
    The quarter panels are the same also, like the doors, and the front and rear are the same shape, but cut-outs and applied elements are different. The black band above the headlights and the fairing around the rear window (which appeared to flip up like a liftback) serve to differentiate front and rear.

They also make a "buggy" version:

Last edited by j44ke; 12-14-2023 at 05:39 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    The doors are the same, driver's or passenger's, not mirror image. So that means the driver side door opens suicide-style and the passenger side door opens live-long-and-prosper-style.

The quarter panels are the same also, like the doors, and the front and rear are the same shape, but cut-outs and applied elements are different. The black band above the headlights and the fairing around the rear window (which appeared to flip up like a liftback) serve to differentiate front and rear.

They also make a "buggy" version:

I don't think that I'd drive one of those on a golf course, let alone in traffic.