User Tag List

Page 336 of 352 FirstFirst ... 326327328329330331332333334335336337338339340341342343344345346 ... LastLast
Results 6,701 to 6,720 of 7026

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Did you say gray diesel?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of German cars..as seen on today’s ride in

Manhattan:

American in Brooklyn:

And only throwing this in from Queens as I can’t figure out what the heck is going on…A formerly empty lot with a gaggle/ flock/ cohort of over 80 Rivians, Riviane, Riviani, Rivianae…

« If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post

And only throwing this in from Queens as I can’t figure out what the heck is going on…A formerly empty lot with a gaggle/ flock/ cohort of over 80 Rivians, Riviane, Riviani, Rivianae…

I'd guess a shipment arrived and the dealer doesn't have the room at the dealership.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    I'd guess a shipment arrived and the dealer doesn't have the room at the dealership.
    They don’t have dealers…they are direct to consumer. Maybe high expectations of orders? I mean 80 (ish) cars at 80-90 (ish) thousand is a bunch to be sitting in Long Island City. I was thinking maybe a rental fleet delivery?
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    They don’t have dealers…they are direct to consumer. Maybe high expectations of orders? I mean 80 (ish) cars at 80-90 (ish) thousand is a bunch to be sitting in Long Island City. I was thinking maybe a rental fleet delivery?
    If no dealers, maybe a holding lot prior to being delivered locally?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My understanding is that Rivian has been able to deliver something on the order of 25% (maybe it’s increased) of the cars they’ve taken orders for, so a lot full of them is kind of odd. Maybe they batch ship them and they’ll all be in customers’ driveways next week…
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure Rivian is down to a couple weeks and they sometimes have stock you can choose from. As stated above these are probably waiting on delivery. I'm guessing the plant cranked these out faster than they have people to do the deliveries.

On a side note. I drove my R1T from Chicago to Copper Harbor MI a couple weeks ago. EV charging outside of cities still sucks. My biggest complaints are: 1) that the good chargers were far enough off the highway to make you wonder if it was worth the time driving to them vs a lower kW charger closer to the exit. 2) Most chargers suck. They either don't work, don't work as advertised or require some app to pay that takes 15 minutes to setup before you even start charging. I wouldn't care about the time it takes to charge if I could roll off the expressway, plug in and charge.

Plugshare is the most important app you can have when you are driving a nonTesla EV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cars entering lot for a low rider show one block from Saturday's farmer market, this was the only wagon/suburban I saw there, likely 51 or 52 Chevy, a few others in street following it in.

parked at a fundraiser for Lotus Land Garden later the same afternoon, Bentley, Aston Martin, Rolls right to left, not surprising none are mine

The older I get the faster I was Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Went down to the local VW store and hate myself for it. Sitting right out in front was this shiny new Golf R 6-speed manual not calling my name, but screaming it.

I love the simplicity and efficiency of my Model Y. Plug it in at home. Super simple to charge at home. It's not going anywhere for these reasons. But like any great appliance, I'm reminded every day that it's just that - an appliance that brings no joy of ownership or operation.

This Golf R looks fun. Tomorrow I will go sit in it.

La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Puppies, snow skis, a car, a bike … I just go to look and then they follow me home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Went down to the local VW store and hate myself for it. Sitting right out in front was this shiny new Golf R 6-speed manual not calling my name, but screaming it.

Don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds to me like you want a manual trans, gas powered sports car. You have practical wrapped up with your Tesla. So why this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darkmother View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds to me like you want a manual trans, gas powered sports car. You have practical wrapped up with your Tesla. So why this?
    Lots of Golf nostalgia in my life. My first ever car (1977 Rabbit) is ancestral to this Golf R. These are so good and I had a GTI as a daily driver for many years. But it won’t be happening because it makes no sense financially or for one or two other reasons.

I want a car with more engagement. Tesla appears to be defined by driver disengagement; something I hadn’t counted on even though they appear to be all-in on FSD. As mentioned many times, it’s a great appliance with some great features and packaging. For real. But despite stupid acceleration, it’s not a driver’s car. There are many pluses but leaves a car person wanting for more. That’s all.

It seems a closer in-person look isn’t going to happen because after a very quick look financially I realized what a disaster it really is.

When the time comes It’ll be something engaging and fun to drive but probably not a Golf R.
    Last edited by Saab2000; 09-17-2023 at 08:09 PM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of Golf nostalgia in my life. My first ever car (1977 Rabbit) is ancestral to this Golf R. These are so good and I had a GTI as a daily driver for many years. But it won’t be happening because it makes no sense financially or for one or two other reasons.

I want a car with more engagement. Tesla appears to be defined by driver disengagement; something I hadn’t counted on even though they appear to be all-in on FSD. As mentioned many times, it’s a great appliance with some great features and packaging. For real. But despite stupid acceleration, it’s not a driver’s car. There are many pluses but leaves a car person wanting for more. That’s all.

It seems a closer in-person look isn’t going to happen because after a very quick look financially I realized what a disaster it really is.

When the time comes It’ll be something engaging and fun to drive but probably not a Golf R.
    My first four cars were manual VWs. 85 Jetta, 96 Jetta, and the first new one I bought was a 00 Golf, then an 09 Jetta wagon. Loved them all but never tried a GTI.
    For the prices these days I don’t know why one wouldn’t grab a Miata or Toyota 86, unless you needed the practicality.

I am very casually looking for a manual Z3. They came with multiple different engines and seem to be in the sweet spot of classic but available for not crazy money and reasonably low mileage. My dad had one back in the day and it was a blast to drive on the back roads in NJ. If my bonus this year is decent it may become a more certain proposition.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want a car with more engagement.

The roads are not a place where you can have fun and engagement anymore. Especially not if you have a modicum of responsibility.

I'd say if you want fun and engagement buy this and hit the local mx/dirt tracks.

Last edited by sk_tle; 09-18-2023 at 02:27 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the simplicity and efficiency of my Model Y. Plug it in at home. Super simple to charge at home. It's not going anywhere for these reasons. But like any great appliance, I'm reminded every day that it's just that - an appliance that brings no joy of ownership or operation.

I’m sorry for this hackneyed line, but if that were in the form of a wagon, i would be very tempted. And in a very stylish color too (unlike the greys that have taken over)

Presumably, it has a turbo and a supercharger? Is it the same powerplant used in Euro-spec A4/A6 Avants?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s a turbocharged 2.0 liter 4 cylinder making 315 horsies. I think it’s related to the A3 but not the Audi larger cars. They keep them differentiated and anyway, those are V6s I think.

The GTI and especially the Golf R have always had a bit of a cult following. My GTI was a 2006 and served me well until 2020 when I sold it to a friend’s son. GTI’s have always had a great blend of practicality and driving delight in a package that in the wild is actually hard to discern from other cars of its type except by those ‘in the know’. They’re not garishly styled with huge wings and outrageous exhaust unless owners install them.

There is no GTI or Golf R wagon. Just the 4-door hatchback and this is partially the secret sauce on why people love them.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a 2013 R. Don't take a test drive if you don't want to own one. The best part of its performance: it's been reliable.

So have the following vehicles:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s a turbocharged 2.0 liter 4 cylinder making 315 horsies. I think it’s related to the A3 but not the Audi larger cars. They keep them differentiated and anyway, those are V6s I think.

The GTI and especially the Golf R have always had a bit of a cult following. My GTI was a 2006 and served me well until 2020 when I sold it to a friend’s son. GTI’s have always had a great blend of practicality and driving delight in a package that in the wild is actually hard to discern from other cars of its type except by those ‘in the know’. They’re not garishly styled with huge wings and outrageous exhaust unless owners install them.

There is no GTI or Golf R wagon. Just the 4-door hatchback and this is partially the secret sauce on why people love them.
    315 HP is an incredible amount of power from a tubo-only 2.0 liter. I think most are in the 250 HP range.

Hope you get some clear highway to test out the car.

ETA: apparently the Golf R is available as an estate in Europe. Go figure, and cue the wah-wah trombones...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    I have a 2013 R. Don't take a test drive if you don't want to own one. The best part of its performance: it's been reliable.

So have the following vehicles:
    That's a nice Power Wagon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    315 HP is an incredible amount of power from a tubo-only 2.0 liter. I think most are in the 250 HP range.

Hope you get some clear highway to test out the car.

ETA: apparently the Golf R is available as an estate in Europe. Go figure, and cue the wah-wah trombones...

A few simple mods will put the car over 400 hp.
    Jay Dwight