User Tag List

Page 292 of 350 FirstFirst ... 282283284285286287288289290291292293294295296297298299300301302 ... LastLast
Results 5,821 to 5,840 of 6992

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

I've got a challenge for you. Don't go off the campus, the solution has got to be easily serviced and tick the right boxes. Here goes:

I'm towing a 8,000lbs'ish trailer that has about 900 lbs of weight on the hitch ball. These are not extraordinary numbers that are easily managed by the Toyota Tundra which I've employed for the past 5 years.

I'd like to stick with gas engines for alot of reasons. That discussion is religious so let's not.

Here is the hitch (erk). Our new tandem bicycle just barely fits into the truck bed. With wheels off it perfectly fits diagonally. This leaves almost no room for all the poofery that accompanies travel trailer life such as: generator, lots of tools etc. etc. ETC.!!!

My options are to suck it up, carry less "stuff" and be happy that the Tundra is paid for and does the deed. Perhaps I add an old man cap with built in sideboxes accessible from the outside OR buy a 3/4 ton Chevy Van, rip the passenger seats out, slap on a "free candy" sticker and be done with it. These vans have capable 6.0 or 6.6 liter engines and similar to the Tundra the design has not changed since dirt was invented. "Reliable" is a word I'd give to that van.

Last, I could buy a lower trim level Tunda with a 8' bed, add a cap. This option really is gross for many reasons however it's in play.

Giddup VS and do not talk about silly "E" truck options, it won't work where we are headed.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 07-01-2022 at 01:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am breaking your rule immediately, but how cool is the frunk on the new F-150. i wish the future were now. :) My family members have gas powered F-150s and love them...

This seems like a starting point for towing capacity: https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...wing-capacity/
    To me, it doesn't get any more dependable than a toyota...

A different solution... what is your tandem with Queen? (pics or it didn't happen :) ) I have no recollection of who made it. maybe it would actually be less of a hassle to have bilenky couple it for you and get some ETAP on it? Depending on brakeline, the solution would be more or less different...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Josh
    May be a dumb question but could the bike go inside the trailer while you’re on the move?

That Tundra is just getting broken in, although you can probably get a nice price for it if you were to move it. Unfortunately same applies to anything you replace it with.

My buddy has been selling used cars since his hotel job shut down in March 2020 and he told me last week they’ve just been given the green light to write seven year loans on any car 10 years old or fewer. That’s insane.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skouri1 View Post
    I am breaking your rule immediately, but how cool is the frunk on the new F-150. i wish the future were now. :) My family members have gas powered F-150s and love them...

This seems like a starting point for towing capacity: https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...wing-capacity/
    To me, it doesn't get any more dependable than a toyota...

A different solution... what is your tandem with Queen? (pics or it didn't happen :) ) I have no recollection of who made it. maybe it would actually be less of a hassle to have bilenky couple it for you and get some ETAP on it? Depending on brakeline, the solution would be more or less different...
    I hear you wrt the future of e-vehicles. Oh well.

We have a custom Co-Motion which does have couplers. When camping we need a dry and secure place to stuff the tandem. Breaking the S&S also means dropping the timing chain. This may sound trivial, it is trivial and I'l a sucker for easy BUT you have to have some patience and gloves to not have a hassle. Rolling the beast into my vehicle with or without wheels is the goal.

PS NO e-tap or DI2 for me esp. with our needs. I'd get e-tap in a heartbeat if this were a tandem we rode from the house and returned to the house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Josh
    May be a dumb question but could the bike go inside the trailer while you’re on the move?

That Tundra is just getting broken in, although you can probably get a nice price for it if you were to move it. Unfortunately same applies to anything you replace it with.

My buddy has been selling used cars since his hotel job shut down in March 2020 and he told me last week they’ve just been given the green light to write seven year loans on any car 10 years old or fewer. That’s insane.
    That is nuts. The tandem will fit inside the trailer. The issue is that when it is raining or we want to go for a hike it has to go into the trailer and Isaac the new Standard Poodle would not be happy about this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep that truck!

If the old man cap is a less easy option, does something like a Yakima Overhaul + roof top box equal an easier option?

https://yakima.com/search?view=shop&q=overhaul

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As seen at Lime Rock Park today...

July 1, 2022 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on FlickrJuly 1, 2022 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toyota Tundra vs GM van? Is this a serious question?

Not sure what other van will pull 8000 lbs but there’s no way I’m swapping a reliable, durable Tundra for a GM van. I ride in those POSs all the time as many hotels still operate them as airport shuttles. They’re the worst. Maybe as a tow vehicle they’d be OK but I’d look at other options like Ford or MB long before I’d look at a GM. But maybe they make one that’s specialized for towing.

That Tundra will last forever. The GM….? Maybe.

I’d try to exhaust all options before trading a Tundra tow vehicle for a GM van.

I know you don’t want EV advice so this isn’t advice, just me blathering as a fan of EV technology. I hope battery technology improves to make towing practical. They’re ideal WRT torque, etc. But the range isn’t there. I recently saw a test of an F150 Lightning (pure EV) towing a 6000 lb trailer. It was nearly dead after ~100 miles. Impressive for an EV but for road tripping with an Airstream? We’ve got a ways to go for that task.
    Last edited by Saab2000; 07-01-2022 at 06:15 PM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good news regarding GM 3/4 ton van as a tow vehicle. It is a proven beast. Dan has towed with one for three or four years and I now know a few more people who do the same. Your enthusiasm for the Tundra is not lost on me. The Tundra is hands down the finest truck I've ever owned. I'd not put this question to the test were it not for this.

PS the MB vans are (cough) less than stellar track record....rust and mechanical faults.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sort of wish to join the Airstream life. Not sure that’ll be possible but I’ve often wondered about tow vehicles. This intrigues me.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I sort of wish to join the Airstream life. Not sure that’ll be possible but I’ve often wondered about tow vehicles. This intrigues me.
    If staying in one place for a meaningful period of time it might be feasible and cost effective to hire periodic trailer relocation. I don't know that from experience but the thought has crossed my mind. Some years after purchasing a boat that I thankfully no longer have it dawned on me that the new car we needed couldn't be smaller, more fuel efficient and less impactful to the environment.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I've got a challenge for you. Don't go off the campus, the solution has got to be easily serviced and tick the right boxes. Here goes:

I'm towing a 8,000lbs'ish trailer that has about 900 lbs of weight on the hitch ball. These are not extraordinary numbers that are easily managed by the Toyota Tundra which I've employed for the past 5 years.

I'd like to stick with gas engines for alot of reasons. That discussion is religious so let's not.

Here is the hitch (erk). Our new tandem bicycle just barely fits into the truck bed. With wheels off it perfectly fits diagonally. This leaves almost no room for all the poofery that accompanies travel trailer life such as: generator, lots of tools etc. etc. ETC.!!!

My options are to suck it up, carry less "stuff" and be happy that the Tundra is paid for and does the deed. Perhaps I add an old man cap with built in sideboxes accessible from the outside OR buy a 3/4 ton Chevy Van, rip the passenger seats out, slap on a "free candy" sticker and be done with it. These vans have capable 6.0 or 6.6 liter engines and similar to the Tundra the design has not changed since dirt was invented. "Reliable" is a word I'd give to that van.

Last, I could buy a lower trim level Tunda with a 8' bed, add a cap. This option really is gross for many reasons however it's in play.

Giddup VS and do not talk about silly "E" truck options, it won't work where we are headed.
    8' bed and old man cap all day. Everything fits inside, and you don't have to smell your generator like you will in a van. I had a F150 with cap, albeit short bed, and regret trading it. Once my son starts driving, he gets my car, and I get another F150 with 6.5' bed and cap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carry less stuff. It is liberating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post

Thule Xsporter Pro Truck Rack + Thule Tandem Carrier with their excellent swivel fork mount design mounted with the fork mount end at the tailgate end of the bed. I've seen it in person. One person can load the tandem even with the Airstream fully attached to the truck. And you can still fill the truck bed as needed.
    Last edited by j44ke; 07-02-2022 at 02:31 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    If staying in one place for a meaningful period of time it might be feasible and cost effective to hire periodic trailer relocation. I don't know that from experience but the thought has crossed my mind. Some years after purchasing a boat that I thankfully no longer have it dawned on me that the new car we needed couldn't be smaller, more fuel efficient and less impactful to the environment.
    It can’t happen now and likely won’t ever happen. But I love checking them out online and on YouTube. But the reality is that it is a huge investment and an even bigger one to have a place to store it all.

I’m actually trying to figure out how to get off my career merry-go-round sooner rather than later and this will entail a lifestyle cutback of sorts. We’ll see what happens. But anyone who travels much knows how much it sucks right now. So as much as I dream of an Airstream life, it’s likely a tent life for me!
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    It can’t happen now and likely won’t ever happen. But I love checking them out online and on YouTube. But the reality is that it is a huge investment and an even bigger one to have a place to store it all.

I’m actually trying to figure out how to get off my career merry-go-round sooner rather than later and this will entail a lifestyle cutback of sorts. We’ll see what happens. But anyone who travels much knows how much it sucks right now. So as much as I dream of an Airstream life, it’s likely a tent life for me!
    Simplify, reduce, simplify...but you know that already.

Teardrop? Small fiberglass trailer? There are quite a few options in those realms.

I built this...ouch, just checked the photo date, in 2006; seems an eternity ago. The trailer had a comfortable queen size mattress, TV/DVD, fan, lights and shelves and then a kitchen, aft, under the hatch. Sometimes we'd set up a 10x10 cabin tent with lightweight folding loungers, folding tables, reading lamps and use that as our living room, just sleeping + TV in the trailer; depended on weather and mood. Fuel mileage still took a remarkable hit but we certainly didn't need a Super Duty to pull it; my old Volvo 240 woulda done it, though the V6 Sienna was much better; mpg went from 29 flat, sea-level hiway (I10 Tally/Jax) without to about 20 with. The teardrop was really convenient, comfortable and cooking was easy (assuming decent weather & few insects), but it isn't a palace. The kitchen is exposed and I'd imagine they're much more suitable for dry, western (bug-less) environments. It was easy to keep it stocked & packed, ready to go.

Teardrop.jpg
    IMG_0351.jpg

As it turned out to usually be just me wanting to camp, and that just to support my surfing habit, I sold the trailer and configured the Sienna for stealth camping; tinted windows, wind deflectors so the windows could be discretely cracked, mozzy netting cut to fit the closed doors, prop-stick holding the bottom down against the door trim, Thermarest or sometimes a cot, cooler, etc. I've seen folks put PV panels and 4"x~8' pvc pipe on roof racks for warm water showers. I removed the middle and rear seats which made the aft floor cavity available for storage or legroom for getting into/out of clothes, put everything I needed into Rubbermaid bins, relief bottle (and bags/bin for "big jobs" in an emergency). For an individual or a couple who are fully into that sort of stripped down van camping and don't have too much stuff or too many demands it works really well and is low hassle. Turns out that a folding camp chair could be used inside.

The Sprinter is iconic but I think the ProMaster is the best bang for the buck if a larger vehicle is needed; I lusted for one but then realized that a larger van (and going to the Florida east coast) wasn't the answer to my surfing needs; Pacific Mexico was.

16444291029_3a989b25db_k.jpg

The Hunter Compact is the most clever small FRP trailer I've ever seen. Long out of production and hard to find I was lucky enough to get a tour of one in St Augustine. The retractable trolley top is brilliant. Lots of FRP trailer info here: https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...atid=16&page=2

Good luck in your pursuit!
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Q: Where do y’all look to get pricing information for a used car? Kelley Blue Book and …? Vehicle in question is a ‘99 Ford Ranger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Q: Where do y’all look to get pricing information for a used car? Kelley Blue Book and …? Vehicle in question is a ‘99 Ford Ranger.
    https://www.edmunds.com/

I particularity like their cost of ownership analysis.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! This isn’t for me to own, but for a family member to sell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Used car prices are wildly diverse, best as I can tell.

I'm selling my 2012 TSX wagon with 91k miles. Yesterday I took it to local dealers who I'd been referred to by submitting a KBB inquiry. One offered $7,500, another $9,000 and I decided to trade it in for $11,000 (which also knocks down the purchase price of our new car, so I'll add another 6.25% to that $11k.) So that's a swing of a little more than $4k with a sample size of three!

But this variation is nothing compared to what Edmunds is showing as a purchase price for a 2012 TSX wagon: $13k to $25k! Holy hell, I paid under $31k for mine ten and a half years ago.

So maybe I could get a couple thousand more by really hustling and doing a private sale. But I'd rather drive it to the dealer and drive home in my new car.

Good luck!
    GO!