User Tag List

Page 270 of 351 FirstFirst ... 260261262263264265266267268269270271272273274275276277278279280 ... LastLast
Results 5,381 to 5,400 of 7005

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Taking a knee for all the bugs.

A few years ago I was driving by the Hilton in DC when a bunch of One Lap of America cars were parked overnight. D@mn if you aren't right, supercars well used look just right.

Sometime I'll have to tell about a local who fitted a BB Ford into a Volvo Wagon for One Lap. He's kind of an oddball.
    Pretty sure Paul Newman built one of those (or had one built for him) and Letterman bought it? Cool concept for sure!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I saw a Rivian truck in the city. The bed looked really short and narrow. Like the length of a Honda Ridgeline bed but maybe narrower. So yeah, definitely not big enough for a sheet of plywood.

Also has wide wheels but the body gets narrower towards the top - meaning the cab is not as wide as the wheels. I was riding right behind it in traffic, so could see the vertically tapered sides. Reminded me of those old Jeep Cherokee pickups.

It was a nice looking vehicle though. And I guess most pickup trucks drive around empty all day. I could see fitting say a job box in the back but not much else. Not sure bikes would fit in the back without lowering the tailgate, but I haven't done the math.
    The bed is 50" wide and with the tailgate down a 4'x8' sheet of plywood will stick out about 1'. That question has come up a million times. If I was hauling sheets for a living it might affect my decision but for my use it is fine.

I haven't done the math on bikes either but they should fit in like funcrusher mentioned with the Dakine mat. There are also bike racks for the bed and roof. The crossbars are the same and look easily removable. There's always the hitch racks if it comes to that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    The bed is 50" wide and with the tailgate down a 4'x8' sheet of plywood will stick out about 1'. That question has come up a million times. If I was hauling sheets for a living it might affect my decision but for my use it is fine.

I haven't done the math on bikes either but they should fit in like funcrusher mentioned with the Dakine mat. There are also bike racks for the bed and roof. The crossbars are the same and look easily removable. There's always the hitch racks if it comes to that.
    Huh. Interesting. I had only seen length dimensions for the bed but not width. And it definitely looked narrow, but then that's compared to the behemoth Fords and Chevrolet trucks everywhere in NYC now (everything continually under construction.) The clearance seemed a lot cleaner than the larger trucks that often have huge clearance for the body but clearance for transmission/transaxle/axles just the radius of the tire.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometime I'll have to tell about a local who fitted a BB Ford into a Volvo Wagon for One Lap. He's kind of an oddball.
    Funny. A friend has a Volvo wagon powered by a Chevy BB.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post

Seems I’ll have to get a 718 GTS 4.0 instead and be completely impractical.
    Plz get the Porsche and post pics forthwith.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by clunk View Post
    Funny. A friend has a Volvo wagon powered by a Chevy BB.
    That must be a tight fit! I've seen small block V8s in RWD Volvos, but never a big block.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw this when zipping byone of the many farmer’s markets around the city today. Would have bought a plant from her just because of the VW but I couldn’t figure out how to carry it while dodging traffic on the Spectrum.

« If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darkmother View Post
    That must be a tight fit! I've seen small block V8s in RWD Volvos, but never a big block.
    If I'm not mistaken it's a 396. I'll see if he has some pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darkmother View Post
    How about a V12?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/37080/...t-flying-brick

volvo12.jpg
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by choke View Post
    Decent grocery getter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where is the fan and rad to cool that beast? Any alternator?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    Pretty sure Paul Newman built one of those (or had one built for him) and Letterman bought it? Cool concept for sure!
    There was a “Paul Newman Volvo” episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee with Letterman. I can't find the whole show (might have to pay these days), but here is the teaser:

http://pjholmes.com/?portfolio=comed...l-newman-volvo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taking a knee for all the bugs.

A few years ago I was driving by the Hilton in DC when a bunch of One Lap of America cars were parked overnight. D@mn if you aren't right, supercars well used look just right.

I was driving home from the Snowshoe world cup and spotted about 3 dozen exotic cars going the other way. They were doing some kind of rally. I'm not sure I'd ever seen that many Lambos in one place before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    Ross Converse built 3 of them, IIRC.

Obviously Letterman and Newman had theirs.

The third one was owned by an acquaintance of mine back in the late 90s/early 2000s. Can't remember the guys name, but he had a site in the campground where I worked in HS and college, and, coincidentally, owned a long shuttered bike shop that was in Sinking Spring, PA. Pretty sure the car was dark blue with a light gray interior. It had red brake calipers and sounded *absolutely nothing* like the Volvo 240 I was driving then.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always enjoy vehicles that make you ask, what am I hearing? When I was a teen, one of Dad's friends drove an FJ40 powered by a small block Ford.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    I put deposits down on both just to get in line. If we actually pull the trigger I think we will go with the R1T. I contacted customer service to confirm it but the S won't fit a sheet of plywood. Since this will replace our minivan I want to be able to haul junk when needed. I could still make it work with the S but I hate putting sheets on the roof and a trailer would be a huge pain for what I do.

I'm not even a car guy (2008 Honda Fit and 2019 Chrysler Pacifica) but the Rivians really got me wanting a super fancy car. They are supposed to be opening a showroom or whatever they call it in Chicago and I'm eager to check it out.
    did you get offered IPO shares? from what i understand, deposit holders were supposed to get offered 150 shares...that would be about $6k paper profit here (or a new peg disc frame)...i never got notified BOO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been toying with the idea of a fun car: Miata, 2dr Jeep, Bronco (to replace my wife's Golf wagen), Rivian (I can dream) but the more I analyze, the less I can justify it.
    My current vehicle is a Toyota van, and there's little it lacks.

Then I read about the Sienna Woodland edition: AWD, Hybrid, tow hitch comes standard, 1/2" lifted.
    May need to monitor the resale value of our current van and pricing/availability on this one next spring.

my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    It had red brake calipers and sounded *absolutely nothing* like the Volvo 240 I was driving then.
    My buddy, who rebuilds and race-prepares vintage cars, called me from the Sears Point pits and yelled "Hey, what's this?" and I hear a ripping noise, and I say I don't know, something fast; we talk for a minute or two and it comes around again, and he says it's a Volvo wagon with a built 302 doing hot laps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This old lady lives in my neighborhood.

Ooh, what's she got under the hood?

An absolutely animalistic and indestructible motor that will soon be transplanted with a monstrous M88.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That rock tells me the motor isn't the only thing that could be worked on.
    Tom Ambros