Page 2 of 350 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

My 10 year old VW Golf turbo is working just fine for me at the moment and it only has 75K miles. It will last a very long time (if other things don't completely fall apart like the whole interior, etc).
    My wife drives a Volvo XC90 now - we bought out the lease a year ago or so because I got such a good deal on it we couldn't pass. It works pretty good and we don't drive enough to get pissed at the gas mileage. Before that - she had a 325i - we loved that BMW and swear we'd get another someday - but we just can't justify the expense. I'd much rather get a VW wagon or something next.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I've been giving a used Volvo XC70 some thought, as well as just taking a dive with a new Subaru since they've come down in price significantly. The only thing that scares me about the Volvo is the complex electrical system that nobody but a dedicated Volvo mechanic wants to work on. How has your 945 been?
    940s are awesome cars, as long as you get a turbo. God awful slow if not. If you are willing to turn your own wrenches they are cheap to run, and nothing is that complex. Its got the space of a full size SUV without any of the fuel economy and handling tradeoffs. 940 is the best car Volvo ever made. Its a 240 drivetrain with a body that is very well rust protected and a much more modern interior/handling/HVAC system.

I too have considered an XC70. Space wise, they compare well to a 945, which I can sleep in the back of comfortably at 6'2". The early AWD systems were trouble, and cars before 2004 tended to eat transmissions. Service is also a concern, as Volvo is/was very reticent to release the information mechanics need to do electronic diagnostics. This may have changed, but was a major issue 2-3 years ago. They ride nicely, but all the ones I've driven have been pretty soft.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    I too have considered an XC70. Space wise, they compare well to a 945, which I can sleep in the back of comfortably at 6'2".
    Hmm, this gets my attention. We presently have a '95 F-150 and an '02 Volvo S40. Neither one is really everyday-practical - the truck has a tremendous amount of sentimental attachment, and is essentially free save for gas, oil, and insurance, but is a gas hog and while the 8' bed is awesome to have when needed, it's not needed most of the time. The S40 is just too damn small, and weekend trips (just about every weekend) with bikes, skis, dogs, bags, food, etc., it's packed to the gills. It's also effing expensive to have fixed when something goes wrong, and as you say, not entirely user-serviceable-friendly.

I've been looking at "compact" and "mid-size" SUV's with good gas mileage, and the ability to fold the back seat down and lay down to sleep is really very appealing. So far, I've been looking at the Escape, the bigger Subaru offerings, and maybe the Chevy stuff. After reading this thread, maybe a wagon is the way to go?

There is a Volvo XC70 in the family, but man, something about that thing bugs me. I think it's the low overhead interior. I've become claustrophobic in the back seat. The E46 sure looks like a good option used, as does the A4 Avant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can count on one hand the number of current wagons/SUVs that have a truly flat cargo area with the seats folded down. The Honda CR-V (the "Honda Civic station wagon") is among the worst offenders. How can the same company that designed the Fit have given us that abomination? RAV-4 is the best of the small SUV breed in the flatish cargo area department. Volvo XC60 comes very very close to level. Audi Q7 is as flat as a pancake. Volvo XC70 is also completely level. No Audi Avant (4 or 6) folds flat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Add to the OP "can pull a boat" and "fit a family of five", I'm listening.

Oh, and not to be a dick, but your girlfriend called, she wants her Miata back...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I were a one-car guy (my wife & I share so we each have two cars...) I'd get a smallish wagon. These sit in the sweet spot atmo:

• Acura TSX Sports Wagon
    • Audi A4 Avant
    • BMW 328ix Sports Wagon
    • VW Jetta Sportwagon (especially the TDI)

What I like about these is the blend/balance of practicality, luxury, performance and economy. A little smaller and there's the A3, Mazda 3, and Subaru Impreza. A little bigger and there's the A6, 5-series, and XC70.

We'd talked about dropping to a single car and I was pretty excited about the TSX. But instead we bought a Fit (which excels at practicality and economy, while also being a pleasure on the Jamaicaway) and will try to nurse our old TL along for another couple years before replacing it with something further up the luxury/performance spectrum.
    Last edited by davids; 02-08-2012 at 05:29 PM.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids
    A little smaller and there's the A3, Mazda 3, and Subaru Impreza. A little bigger and there's the A6, 5-series, and XC70.
    The current Impreza has really lost a lot (most) of the "wagonality" from the 2002-2007MY. My wife has a 2008 Impreza 5-door (she passed over the E46 325 touring for this) and the cargo carrying is extremely compromised (no way you'd get a full size bike in there without the rear seats folded). If you need wagon utility from a Suby these days your real choices are Forester or Outback. Both of these fit my bikes with seatpost and wheels removed (and rear-seats in use).

FCTi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is funny to me. I love how eco aware someof you are and I really dig that.

Me, my next car if I can swing a good deal will be the biggest V8 4 door full size pick I can find. I might even put those stupid truck balls on the rear hitch if I can find them. They are terrible, but I crack up every time I see them. Especially the blue or brass ones. I live 5 miles from work, will commute 2 to 3 days to work and don't drive many other places that often. Gas milage means very little to me. If I need to go to another city, state, etc I can use my wife's Jeep or mom's maxima.

I don't live on a farm, haul a trailer, or have any practicle need for something that manly. I have always wanted a pick up and the more involved I get working on my house, involved in working with guys at my school, the more I wished I had that type of vehicle. I have a Nissan Pathfinder right now and there isn't anyhting terribly wrong with it. It isn't bad at anything, but not great at anything either. We rationalize spending thousands on bikes, wheels, tyres, etc.

I love cars. I think the more bhp the better and the sounds of some of the engines at max rpm's makes me smile. Mustangs, Corvettes, Porsches, etc that pin you to the seat are fantastic. I think Hummers (H2's) might be the stupidest thing the soccer mom's drive (around here) but they are effing cool.
    Dave Bradley...not the grumpy old Hogwarts caretaker "Mr. Filch" or the star of American Ninja 3 and 4.

formerly "Mr.President"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I didn't have to be practical I'd test drive an Evo GSR. I have to confess the Top Gear review turned my head ("one-finger power slide"). I love cars with manual transmissions that handle like crazy. I miss my old Audi 4000 Quattro on every twisty road.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crappy cell-phone pic, but this has been our daily driver since 2001. It should be in the "things that are made better than they have to be" thread. It'll be on the market soon though, I've got an E30 that's almost put back together...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh no, that's perfect. Talk to me when you're selling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That cruiser fits square in the want category, need be damned. Lately I'd been witnessing one turn to rust every time I walked the dog past its resting place. It finally disappeared. I hope someone's rebuilding it.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks. I've yet to find another one with as little rust as mine. It's been a hellova good truck for the 10yrs I've owned it.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    That cruiser fits square in the want category, need be damned. Lately I'd been witnessing one turn to rust every time I walked the dog past its resting place. It finally disappeared. I hope someone's rebuilding it.
    Needs are overrated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone in San Diego want to check this out for me?

Volvo : 240 - eBay (item 280650746200 end time Apr-01-11 18:30:00 PDT)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been down sizing.....

1 ton 4 door 8' dully to 1 ton 4 door single wheel 8' to 3/4 ton 4 door 6'.

This is almost a Mini Cooper to me.

My wife has a 3/4 ton 4 door 6' too.

A car would be nice though, we could cut the roof off and make a planter out of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post

A car would be nice though, we could cut the roof off and make a planter out of it.
    Now we are talking, I love that thing.
    Dave Bradley...not the grumpy old Hogwarts caretaker "Mr. Filch" or the star of American Ninja 3 and 4.

formerly "Mr.President"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Fleet:
    Volvo XC90 for family adventures
    Volvo C70 for the wife (women love convertibles)
    Volvo XC60 perfect size and fast at altitude
    77 Land Cruiser FJ40 (fully restored) works like a tool offroad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that beast without an 8' bed?

that's 3/4 ton of neutered 'merican truck right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by musgravecycles View Post
    Crappy cell-phone pic, but this has been our daily driver since 2001. It should be in the "things that are made better than they have to be" thread. It'll be on the market soon though, I've got an E30 that's almost put back together...
    Seen it. Drool marks on the bumper are from me. Awesome vehicle.