User Tag List

Page 152 of 352 FirstFirst ... 142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160161162 ... LastLast
Results 3,021 to 3,040 of 7026

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Jorn, those are war horses. What you talkin about fool????

That Volvo is Mrs. Too Tall's fantasy car. Someday I mean to surprise here with one. It might even have floorboards.
    Hey, I grew up with one in our extended non-related family. Many summer trips to the pool packed in the backseat of my parents' best friends Volvo with 4 similarly pool obsessed kids. They always had one running and one being prepared to run, except for the time a guy driving a stolen van at high speed clipped a corner and ended upside down in their driveway totaling both. I just remember the cars being made out of 100% steel but they had Dellorto carbs in them that the husband always insisted were a piece of cake to adjust but spent hours and hours adjusting them. Related to that the cars would flood or vapor lock and there would have to be a roadside rescue of kids going to or coming from the pool. So....

But they are one of the coolest cars on the planet.

p.s. My dad had a never ending string of Dodge Darts and Plymouth Valiants. Slant six with enough space around it that I could almost stand in the left front corner (think I am remembering correctly) of the engine compartment. Well, I could sit there at least.
    Last edited by j44ke; 10-19-2017 at 12:17 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But speaking of cars needing mechanics, other than a 1966 Citroën DS,

I've always wanted a 1966 (or thereabouts) Jaguar Mk II. Remember the movie Withnail and I?

Of course, their car was a bit more dog-eared.

1966 seems like it was a really good year for car design IMHO.

Last edited by j44ke; 10-19-2017 at 12:28 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Saw one of these parked near Barney's on 7th, in just about this condition. I'd have one if it came with a mechanic.

What's that behind it though?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    What's that behind it though?
    Shape of the nose & door is wrong for an Ace.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tbonefitz View Post
    Ok, I'll bite on this thread. I've owned two (still own one) of the best driver's cars on the planet. NA Miata (96) and a 2010 335i coupe with the sports package (still own it--and you'll have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands). I'd buy another NA Miata right now and slap a turbo on it if I didn't have a 3 year old to cart around. Plus, I can get my Spectrum (not Too Tall's spectrum, that's building girder big) in the trunk with the wheels off. But, to be honest, the 335 (either the N54 or the N55) is everything the miata is but faster. And way more comfortable on long trips on the highway. However, that being said, the 335's natural habitat is a twisty back road with the hydraulic steering telling you where the bumps are and the turbos singing off in the distance. Pure magic. There's a reason the Car and Driver editors owned 335s.

You can get a good (but these days, higher mileage) E90/92 for a song. If you want the wagon, the 3 wagons are getting hard to find but excellent. There were only a few that came over with the sport package, though. The newer body style (F30) also comes in a wagon, and it's a good looking car.

I've driven an S4, and rode in an S7 and A8L, and wasn't terribly impressed. Yea, they're fast. But it's video game fast--you don't really feel it. It just, very cooly, calmly, gets faster. If I had an autobahn, maybe. But on a twisty back road? Nah. Give me something that dances a bit, and isn't afraid to let it's back tires out a little. I know the Conti 4000s are fast, but my Veloflex Corsas just feel soo goood, you know?

If you want that fun to drive, get the 240i, or go all in for an M - the M2 is the way to go.
    This is good stuff. And it confirms a lot of what I've heard about the A4. As a compromise between a sports sedan and an SUV, it sounds right.

Thanks!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lumpy you are a trouble maker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S4 Avant ordered. Looking forward to become diesel less.
    Last edited by Lionel; 10-19-2017 at 06:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm so glad DavidS and Lionel could come together on a car buying decision. #blessed
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Lumpy you are a trouble maker.
    Right? Not a Swallow Doretti either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My 20-year-old son has an A4 Avant. It's cute, and fun to drive. Chicks dig it.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    You can get an S4 or S5 here. You can probably even get an RS4 again in the future. But not an S4 or RS4 Avant.

So to answer your question: We don't get them because we don't buy them.

I own a wagon. How about you?
    Right with you. 2014 VW JSW 5 speed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    i'm so glad DavidS and Lionel could come together on a car buying decision. #blessed
    Are you saying an A4 all road is the same as an S4 Avant.

#wrong.

:)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't have a wagon without paneling,... Audi Black Forest Edition.

Audi_A4_BlackForestEdition_Allroad.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's something I never thought I'd say, I really like my Nissan Murano, company car, I got to choose between it and a Mazda cx 5. Couldn't do the 4 cyl, it was gutless. The Murano has v 6, so it will get out of it's own way nicely, enough power to pull my boat and plenty of room with the back seats down.

Somewhat off road capable with the AWD and decent mileage. Dog box in the back and off we go duck hunting. Not a bad all around little buggy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The local Subaru dealer gave me a 2017 Outback loaner while my Forester gets some warranty work done. I wasn't crazy about the Outback when I test drove it but after five days driving it I have really warmed up to the car. I mean I could really get used to this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    ”...I wasn't crazy about the Outback when I test drove it but after five days driving it I have really warmed up to the car...”
    For years the Subaru factory did not offer upgrades like satellite radio and leather interior for the Outback model.
    Hopefully that has been changed. One spilled coffee or one muddy filthy mountainbike ride and cloth is just toast.
    Will have to visit their website to learn latest product details. My group of friends are satisfied with their Subarus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    ”...Are you saying an A4 all road is the same as an S4 Avant. #wrong. :)...”
    My sense is that a high-performance wagon would increase in popularity given sufficient time in the marketplace.
    I have yet to meet a Mercedes-Benz owner who dislikes their E-series station wagon, for example.

My plan is to keep encouraging Audi to make that darn S4 Avant available in the U.S.A.
    Even if they told potential buyers it was “limited availability” and would take six months for delivery, that’s fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    For years the Subaru factory did not offer upgrades like satellite radio and leather interior for the Outback model.
    Hopefully that has been changed. One spilled coffee or one muddy filthy mountainbike ride and cloth is just toast.
    Will have to visit their website to learn latest product details. My group of friends are satisfied with their Subarus.
    This one has a cloth interior which does look vulnerable to me. I've got a big old quilt in the back so my mountain bike doesn't mess anything up. It's got satellite radio (nice here in rural New England) and a backup camera that is unfortunately necessary - visibility out the back isn't great.

I addressed the interior problem on my Forester by buying a used one with an interior that was already compromised. Previous owner was a smoker with a big dog. It doesn't smell but there are some stains and holes - but with my woodchuck lifestyle some damage is inevitable anyway. I'm thinking about getting some seat covers for the winter. And this car gets a rocket box for skis, that's what chewed up my last car's interior worse than anything else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    My sense is that a high-performance wagon would increase in popularity given sufficient time in the marketplace.
    I have yet to meet a Mercedes-Benz owner who dislikes their E-series station wagon, for example.

My plan is to keep encouraging Audi to make that darn S4 Avant available in the U.S.A.
    Even if they told potential buyers it was “limited availability” and would take six months for delivery, that’s fine.
    Right, I guess the sport wagon are very german. They all love theirs in Germany. After quite a few years with SUV in France (X5, X3) I am fed up with them. In EU the regulatory laws for emissions are getting more and more drastic so powerful cars are becoming rarer and rarer. As an example a Jeep Wrangler has a 10000 euro eco tax in France....

But I guess in the US these cars are considered too "small".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The past sales numbers on wagons in the US are why we don't get them anymore like manual transmissions. I like my 325xi manual wagon, a 335 would be a lot better. BMW did not bring over a 335 e91 wagon, the f31s are 4 cylinder auto only and audi hasn't had an s4 avant here since the B6 V8 that was a time bomb. I think new S4s in the US are auto only as well so why bother. I won't buy a car with a computer shifting, at least is I go electric it is a 1 speed with no downshift lag.