User Tag List

Page 145 of 352 FirstFirst ... 135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,900 of 7026

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

When I turned in the TDI, I got a 6 speed golf R. Its a nice car. It is very practical with the back seats down. It carries 1 bike pretty easily with the front wheel removed. It also hauls a surprising amount of stuff. Its a nice chassis and has a lot of grip and power. The headlights are excellent HIDs. The 2018s get LEDI believe. The interior is high quality, very audi like, and the seats are excellent for skinny cycling shaped bodies. I actually like it more than my'99 996 Carrera as it feels as fast as the p car, is almost as much fun to drive, and is quite a bit more practical.

If the allroads had been around when I picked up the R, I would have considered one. I have driven one with the automatic and could live with one pretty easily. Its a solid car, comfortable, and extremely practical. Of course it doesn't have the grip or power of the R but that's the trade off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When my friend turned in his TDI he got the 2017 Golf R as well. He really likes it. I like the All Track due to the added space and roof rails, but I kind of want something that is pretty peppy. Having said that I also drive grandma and am never allowed to drive to races or rides due to my preferred driving speed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
    "...If the allroads had been around when I picked up the R, I would have considered one. I have driven one with the automatic and could live with one pretty easily. Its a solid car, comfortable, and extremely practical. Of course it doesn't have the grip or power of the R but that's the trade off..."
    Audi should consider a performance-minded and lower A4 wagon rather than the Outback-syled and higher Allroad.
    I know they need to sell vehicles to make it happen, yet I do believe buyers would grow to love the lower platform.

The typical buyer of an Audi Allroad isn't going rock scrambling. They want capacity, road performance, and AWD.
    The extra ground clearance? That is likely a factor .01% of the time. Marketplace would love an upgraded A4 wagon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm looking forward to the 2019 Volvo hybrids.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    Audi should consider a performance-minded and lower A4 wagon rather than the Outback-syled and higher Allroad.
    I know they need to sell vehicles to make it happen, yet I do believe buyers would grow to love the lower platform.

The typical buyer of an Audi Allroad isn't going rock scrambling. They want capacity, road performance, and AWD.
    The extra ground clearance? That is likely a factor .01% of the time. Marketplace would love an upgraded A4 wagon.
    This exists in europe and is called an S4 Avant. Awesome car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    "...This exists in europe and is called an S4 Avant. Awesome car..."
    Indeed. Previously available stateside in the past, also.
    Audi was perhaps a decade too early for American tastes.
    I truly hope it is reintroduced for purchase here someday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    When my friend turned in his TDI he got the 2017 Golf R as well. He really likes it. I like the All Track due to the added space and roof rails, but I kind of want something that is pretty peppy. Having said that I also drive grandma and am never allowed to drive to races or rides due to my preferred driving speed.
    Get one of the recently un-embargoed TDI manual wagons, and chip it.
    Best of both worlds.

We sold our 2009 manual TDI wagon back to VW for about $18.5K, and got a new (auto) base model wagon for about $19.K. Easy swap and the car is more than nice enough for my wife to commute in, but the auto/gasser is not nearly as fun as the old stick. (hardly matters, because most road trips these days happen in the fully loaded minivan...)
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love the Golf R. Currently riding a '16 4-door M3 with 2-car seats to accommodate the little ones. They call it the "vroom vroom" car
    IMG_2670.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Get one of the recently un-embargoed TDI manual wagons, and chip it.
    Best of both worlds.

We sold our 2009 manual TDI wagon back to VW for about $18.5K, and got a new (auto) base model wagon for about $19.K. Easy swap and the car is more than nice enough for my wife to commute in, but the auto/gasser is not nearly as fun as the old stick. (hardly matters, because most road trips these days happen in the fully loaded minivan...)
    My decision to get an auto transmission was made for me by the infinite traffic we experience every time we want to escape the city. 2-3 hours of stop and go traffic with a manual transmission kills my hip and lower back.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    Indeed. Previously available stateside in the past, also.
    Audi was perhaps a decade too early for American tastes.
    I truly hope it is reintroduced for purchase here someday.
    Doubtful. They'd sell 20 SQ5 for every S4 Avant.

Doesn't Audi have a 4 door hatchback now, a la the BMW 4 Series?
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davebrochill View Post
    Love the Golf R. Currently riding a '16 4-door M3 with 2-car seats to accommodate the little ones. They call it the "vroom vroom" car
    IMG_2670.jpg
    That will do. Those things are very capable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

36080267350_c006ac6d1c_z_d.jpg
    V8 monster 430 hp Dinan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coppercook62 View Post
    36080267350_c006ac6d1c_z_d.jpg
    V8 monster 430 hp Dinan
    Tell me that is yours? Wow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes sir, paint matches the crumpton T5. He painted the bike before i even concedered the car just worked out that way. Just ment to be.

35644145594_363842bf36_z_d.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell me about the bike holder, happy with it ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terrified only short distance so far

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What model is it ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read recently that the average age of US automobiles on the road is 12 years, or the 2005/6 model year. Got me to thinking, as cars have gotten more reliable over recent decades, where the ‘sweet spot’ is in terms of long term reliability and ability to avoid obsolescence?
    My ’98 Toyota is definitely showing its age and I would not want it long-term if I had to put more miles on it, but it’ll do for me for the next 3-4 years or so.

So I’m thinking newer than that would be ideal, but it seems around 2007 or so, that all of the newer technologies started to be jammed into every well-appointed car. These are the things that a) eventually become gremlins, and b) do not age well. Any built-in GPS over 3-4 years old is a piece of junk, power-everything starts to fail well before a drivetrain does.

So, eventually I come back around to the idea that maybe that 2005 era will end up being the sweet spot in terms of when the average age of the US fleet reaches its peak.

Rambling and random, I know. But whattayathink?
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The limit is 145,000 miles for most cars I think. After that I think there are a lot of cyclical wear items that manufacturers haven't even tested. When the car gets to a mileage beyond which few mechanics have experience servicing, you either have to take on repairs yourself, find an auto guru or pay extra while the mechanics fiddle around with the knobs and dials on their computerized machine and install one part after another until some little yellow light goes off.

So decide how long you need the car, take your average annual mileage, and work back from 145,000 miles.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    I read recently that the average age of US automobiles on the road is 12 years, or the 2005/6 model year. Got me to thinking, as cars have gotten more reliable over recent decades, where the ‘sweet spot’ is in terms of long term reliability and ability to avoid obsolescence?
    My ’98 Toyota is definitely showing its age and I would not want it long-term if I had to put more miles on it, but it’ll do for me for the next 3-4 years or so.

So I’m thinking newer than that would be ideal, but it seems around 2007 or so, that all of the newer technologies started to be jammed into every well-appointed car. These are the things that a) eventually become gremlins, and b) do not age well. Any built-in GPS over 3-4 years old is a piece of junk, power-everything starts to fail well before a drivetrain does.

So, eventually I come back around to the idea that maybe that 2005 era will end up being the sweet spot in terms of when the average age of the US fleet reaches its peak.

Rambling and random, I know. But whattayathink?
    My dad just replaced his 04 Passat (nearly 200K) with a brand spankin' new 4Runner.

Sweet spot describes the Passat perfectly. Sunroof, heated cloth seats, 1.8T, manual. Everything you need and nothing you don't. Was due for a timing belt and then the clutch went out. Cost way more to fix than it was worth and he donated it to charity. Its weird to get nostalgic for a car from the mid-aughts because its not long ago at all but they won't make them like that ever again.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk