User Tag List

Page 140 of 352 FirstFirst ... 130131132133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149150 ... LastLast
Results 2,781 to 2,800 of 7026

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Not a GTI but my first car was a 205 too. With the 80bhp 1.3L engine. I have great memories too. That was a great handling car on twisty roads. Sometimes I scour the classified for a 205 GTI or rallye with all original parts. Not many lefts I reckon.
    They are sort of expensive now. A friend of mine kept his from back in the days in pristine condition. I drove it a couple of years ago. Kind of scary actually but still super fun with none of the modern electronics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Thinking about trading in my 2012 A3 Sportback for a new GTI. Looking forward to test driving it. 4 months out of the year I commute 150 miles road trip, so I use my old MKIV Jetta TDI. The other 8 months the commute is only 40 miles road trip. I hear the new GTI's are a blast to drive.... but part of me just wants to keep my Jetta, sell the A3 and take on a fun "project."

Maybe it's time to throw caution to the wind and pick up a MKII GTI. There is a really clean 2.0 16v that I really want to get... and... my partner is a VW fan as well (she drives a Golf) and is encouraging me to go that route....oof... decisions...
    I tested out the 2016 GTI Autobahn, and I didn't feel like it was too harsh riding at all. However, it did have the max comfort driver's seat with lots of buttons to push to make it go this way and that. And the steering wheel adjustment is for the youngsters who like to lie down in the backseat while driving, so there is plenty of adjustment there too. I like VW's and that's a fun car to drive for sure.

I think we probably would have gotten one, but I decided we should go test drive a Volvo V60 and that was that. Different car, different me.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

more photos on my instagram but im making headway on project stupid. lots of 1 off parts and a goal of 750hp.

Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at switching my X3 diesel in France as it's really hard to drive when I come back from the 911. I want a sleeper with punch as car envy is a real issue there. I also want something I can easily throw my bike in the back and 4WD to go to the Alps in the winter. I test drove the new Audi S4 Avant (354hp), the 340i Touring (326hp that can be boosted to 360hp with some performance option) and the C43 AMG break. Did not like the Mercedes. Really loved the Audi and the 340i was also pretty good. Both seem to have enough space and both can easily be mistaken with a low end fucking diesel (I am done with diesels for life). Interestingly enough none of these 2 cars are offered in the US as I guess the sport wagon "sport car" is not really popular there. Anyway, curious if anyone drives one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With apologies to Strongin, go Miami style.

Whatever you get:
    - Black out the windows
    - Black out the wheels
    - Get the "triple black" paint option
    - Get the best/biggest bi-turbo gas/petrol engine
    - Choose the "delete nameplates" option to give you that undercover/sleeper vibe.

Why Do Europeans Remove the Badges From Their Luxury Cars?

Americans have decided that wagons/estates are the devil after the mini-van (yes, blame America for that one) and will never go back to them. I do find it funny that many of our current mini-SUVs are so low to the ground and similar in shape that many of them could be considered wagon/estate cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Looking at switching my X3 diesel in France as it's really hard to drive when I come back from the 911. I want a sleeper with punch as car envy is a real issue there. I also want something I can easily throw my bike in the back and 4WD to go to the Alps in the winter. I test drove the new Audi S4 Avant (354hp), the 340i Touring (326hp that can be boosted to 360hp with some performance option) and the C43 AMG break. Did not like the Mercedes. Really loved the Audi and the 340i was also pretty good. Both seem to have enough space and both can easily be mistaken with a low end fucking diesel (I am done with diesels for life). Interestingly enough none of these 2 cars are offered in the US as I guess the sport wagon "sport car" is not really popular there. Anyway, curious if anyone drives one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post

Whatever you get:
    - Black out the windows
    - Black out the wheels
    - Choose the "delete nameplates" option to give you that undercover/sleeper vibe.

Americans have decided that wagons/estates are the devil after the mini-van (yes, blame America for that one) and will never go back to them. I do find it funny that many of our current mini-SUVs are so low to the ground and similar in shape that many of them could be considered wagon/estate cars.
    Aren't the first 3 points defeating the 5th one ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever you get:
    - Black out the windows
    - Black out the wheels

No apologies needed. But you forgot the need to add 24" (minimum) rims.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read the link I added after I think you posted. I do not begin to understand why people delete nameplates but the article seems to share why Europeans do it. I love cars but the ones I want, I would be too afraid to own and keep (60s era Ferrari) while still living in cities.

Your Porsche 911 is one of the best cars to own including as a daily driver. I was a "runner" at a high end leasing company (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, etc.) as a college job more than 20 years ago and the 911 was the one car we would recommend if someone wanted a "daily driver" they could keep/own for 20 years. Anything else is just not worth the trouble and usually falls apart when used every day.

Maybe the advice is for you to get the same car with 4WD/AWD to keep in France. Thoughts?

Aren't the first 3 points defeating the 5th one ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I test drove the new Audi S4 Avant (354hp)
    Pre-marriage and baby, I had a 2005 S4 Avant with the V8 and manual transmission. Very fast, comfy, and understated. Didn't realize how loud the motor was until the guy who bought it from me pulled away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read the link I added after I think you posted. I do not begin to understand why people delete nameplates but the article seems to share why Europeans do it. I love cars but the ones I want, I would be too afraid to own and keep (60s era Ferrari) while still living in cities.

Your Porsche 911 is one of the best cars to own including as a daily driver. I was a "runner" at a high end leasing company (Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, etc.) as a college job more than 20 years ago and the 911 was the one car we would recommend if someone wanted a "daily driver" they could keep/own for 20 years. Anything else is just not worth the trouble and usually falls apart when used every day.

Maybe the advice is for you to get the same car with 4WD/AWD to keep in France. Thoughts?
    Nah, even though I would love a 911 4wd there it would just not work and would need to be a third car as you cannot really haul your bike in and its not ideal in 3 inches of snow either. But most importantly while a 911 is a "normal" car in the bay area it is not in Aix En Provence. This creates a bunch of issues, like car theft, car vandalism, and my wife not wanting to have one around for the previous reasons. So a de-badged sleeper in right down my alley.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would get one of the AMG wagons, or similar BMW, or the Audi All-Road (this might be the USA version of the one you mentioned).

Another really good option is the Volvo V60 wagon cross country model. Will not win any "cool car" contests but it has more ground clearance than the standard V60. When I owned my 2012 s60 it had the most comfortable seats of any car I have ever driven. I think Jorn got the V60 recently and thought the same thing about the seats. The Volvo can be fast, understated, and meet your "outdoor lifestyle needs"; you might even be able to get a manual in Europe.

If you are going to buy one, now is the time to get a new leftover 2017 model very discounted. If you are leasing or will only keep the car a few years, I would wait until September and order a 2018 model.

Nah, even though I would love a 911 4wd there it would just not work and would need to be a third car as you cannot really haul your bike in and its not ideal in 3 inches of snow either. But most importantly while a 911 is a "normal" car in the bay area it is not in Aix En Provence. This creates a bunch of issues, like car theft, car vandalism, and my wife not wanting to have one around for the previous reasons. So a de-badged sleeper in right down my alley.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would think an Audi or BMW wagon has got to be the way to go for a premium sleeper car. Less premium but still competent would be a VW GTI.

Don't doll it up with fancy wheels and nobody who isn't in the know won't really know if it's a 1.4 liter naturally aspirated or a 4.0 liter twin turbo with 450 horsies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post

Don't doll it up with fancy wheels and nobody who isn't in the know won't really know if it's a 1.4 liter naturally aspirated or a 4.0 liter twin turbo with 450 horsies.
    But it would still be a wagon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This proves my earlier point. Us 'Mericans will never get over wagons being uncool which is so "provincial" of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Matthews View Post
    But it would still be a wagon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would get one of the AMG wagons, or similar BMW, or the Audi All-Road (this might be the USA version of the one you mentioned).

Another really good option is the Volvo V60 wagon cross country model. Will not win any "cool car" contests but it has more ground clearance than the standard V60. When I owned my 2012 s60 it had the most comfortable seats of any car I have ever driven. I think Jorn got the V60 recently and thought the same thing about the seats. The Volvo can be fast, understated, and meet your "outdoor lifestyle needs"; you might even be able to get a manual in Europe.

If you are going to buy one, now is the time to get a new leftover 2017 model very discounted. If you are leasing or will only keep the car a few years, I would wait until September and order a 2018 model.
    The allroad exists also here but this is the opposite of what I want as it sits higher on the road, has body roll etc.... As for the V60 it's a real dog :)

As for the S4, it really is a sleeper but drives great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would think an Audi or BMW wagon has got to be the way to go for a premium sleeper car. Less premium but still competent would be a VW GTI.

They actually do the Golf R in wagon here :) Too small though and not nearly as cool to drive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Audi S4 Sportwagon used to be a much smaller car. My brother-in-law has a 1999 that is still chugging along, and it drives a lot like a VW GTI (wagon that is.) However, now the S4 wagon is large - Passat large? At least. A friend has an Audi All-Road (which is basically an AWD A4 wagon with changes, right?) and it looks and acts like a bit of a pig in town but it is lovely driving in the country/highway/etc. I am going to guess the S4 is a much smarter car.

The V60 is not the car for Lionel. I can tell you that without any doubt. He might go test drive the V90 R-Design (peppier murdered-out version of the V90) though, because Volvo is supposedly working on a V90 Polestar edition and that might be something Lionel would drive. It is Swedish though.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a XC70, it was actually a very good car. But yeah, slowish. Very very capable in snow.

As for the A4 is keeps on getting bigger. The current one is pretty much the size of an A6 a few years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, I live at ends of the spectrum. In a perfect world/retired it would be a 60s Ferrari and something else "practical".

I purchased my s60 when I was commuting by car from NJ to NYC for a few years. It was 21 miles of traffic that took 90 minutes even at 6am so I wanted comfortable during the week with some "zip" for the weekends. My 2012 s60 (purchased June 2011 - first year new model was stateside) was a 5 cylinder Turbo so it got terrible gas mileage but was fast for a Volvo. The newer s60 (my brother has) and the V60 (Jorn has) are 4 cylinder Turbos and tuned for better gas mileage than the earlier year models.

In Boston, our "weekend car" is a Subaru Outback because similar to when we lived in NYC, we do not care if the garage dents the heck out of it which is what is going to happen no matter what you do, what you say, or how much you tip them. My wife has a 7 minute walk to work and I have a 15 minute train ride so the car rarely gets used.

Again, horses for courses.

It looks like choosing cars for Lionel is easier than bikes:
    - Audi sport wagon with AWD or 4WD
    - Triple black
    - Manual?
    - DeBadged option at order time

As for the V60 it's a real dog :)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    The V60 is not the car for Lionel. I can tell you that without any doubt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Life with a GTI is a perpetual tradeoff of a boomy hatchback that has a pretty rough ride. It is also a street legal point-and-shoot go cart that's at it's meanest in the 3500-5500+ RPM range with the best seats I've ever had in an automobile. And it's incredibly well packaged and space efficient. It's certainly worthy of a test drive.

It's noisy and harsh and fast and comfortable all at the same time. I drive it on 2 mile local trips all the time and I've driven it on thousand mile road trips, as recently as three weeks ago. It excels in both places, and because of the amazingly supportive seats it's probably most at home on the long trips. I've driven many rental cars that were a serious disappointment for the vagueness of the steering and awful seats that are fatiguing on drives of more than an hour. I get out of the GTI after 10 hours and feel as fresh as it's possible to feel after that long in a car that's not a Mercedes S-Class.

I guess if I hated it I wouldn't still have it more than eleven years after I bought it.
    This post. Exactly. The GTI is a fantastic car to drive, and the latest versions are on par with Audi A4s on the interior front. Nice 6s manual, too. Don't buy the DSG.

#myfirstcarwasamk1rabbitt.
    Geoff used to race around on a Brodie Sovereign
    Geoff Morgan