User Tag List

Page 110 of 351 FirstFirst ... 100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,200 of 7005

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    is the aversion to the van just an image thing? we have an odyssey, and for family hauling, it can not be beat. everything is where it should be. carrying bikes, and full sized sheets of plywood are a piece of cake with the ody. roll two bikes, with the wheels on right in with 3 kiddos strapped into seats. drives as good or better than any SUV on the road, and most non-sport sedans as well. impressive fuel economy. sufficiently adequate power.

if it's just that you dont want to be "seen" in a van, you've got three kids, get over it. if it's that the frame of reference on how they drive is the original chrysler van, the 2015 line-up is completely different.

just curious, seems like you're struggling to avoid the most logical answer?
    And you can always airbrush a wizard on the side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depending on the car seats, I could possibly fit 3 in the 2nd row of our LR4. Impractical and expensive though. What do people in Europe do w/ 3 kids in car seats? Are the car seats smaller that they fit in narrower cars?
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    And you can always airbrush a wizard on the side.
    or,

https://magnetamerica.com/Car-Flames

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    is the aversion to the van just an image thing? we have an odyssey, and for family hauling, it can not be beat. everything is where it should be. carrying bikes, and full sized sheets of plywood are a piece of cake with the ody. roll two bikes, with the wheels on right in with 3 kiddos strapped into seats. drives as good or better than any SUV on the road, and most non-sport sedans as well. impressive fuel economy. sufficiently adequate power.

if it's just that you dont want to be "seen" in a van, you've got three kids, get over it. if it's that the frame of reference on how they drive is the original chrysler van, the 2015 line-up is completely different.

just curious, seems like you're struggling to avoid the most logical answer?
    With three little kids, we wanted all three of them lined up in the second row of seats so they could be reached, fed, soothed, etc., and so no-one felt exiled to the far back row. This knocked all the minivans out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zetroc View Post
    Can I suggest a mid-70s Ford Courier? You can bolt the 3 seats across in the bed.
    When No. 1 child was on the way, I had a ratty, right hand drive Triumph GT-6, in which I had ill-advisedly taken my wife for a drive before it was totally done. I came in from a day of backwards-ass fiberglassing in the very rusty rear quarter and said, you know, I think there's enough room and structural integrity in that rear deck behind the seats to bolt a child seat in.

She was appalled, looked at me like I totally misunderstood the ground rules for being a parent, and said, "You are NOT taking MY BABY to daycare in that thing." She was right, I had no idea what I was getting into. I was never even able to get that car inspected. Sold it later that winter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With three little kids, we wanted all three of them lined up in the second row of seats so they could be reached, fed, soothed, etc., and so no-one felt exiled to the far back row. This knocked all the minivans out.
    Our Sienna seats 3 across in the middle and we often seat all three of our kids up there for this very reason. The middle seat even slides forward a little extra which made reaching the youngest easier when she was extra small. I am with angryscientist. Once I got over the image hangups with a minivan I regretted all those years trying to cram into an SUV when our van is quieter, smoother, more efficient and halls twice as much stuff with ease, including bikes with the wheels on. I have never regretted having all the extra space.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why go minivan when you can make everyone happy with a Sprinter van. Even adult friends being chauffeured for a night on the town.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's always the Frazetta route if the wizard isn't your thing:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    Isn't that what the nanny is for?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon White View Post
    Depending on the car seats, I could possibly fit 3 in the 2nd row of our LR4. Impractical and expensive though. What do people in Europe do w/ 3 kids in car seats? Are the car seats smaller that they fit in narrower cars?
    Europeans gave up having kids for Lent.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do people in Europe do w/ 3 kids in car seats?
    They usually have to suck it up and buy one of these awful pieces of shit (available in parts of Europe, if you can believe it).

And no, they haven't yet forgiven Chrysler for producing them.
    Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, looking at the stats for Europe v. US - average household size in Europe is 2.3 while the average household size in United States is 2.58. Plus that's size as in number of people, not size in terms of weight. Europe's average body weight is 156lbs while in the United States it is 177lbs.

Probably makes fitting three in the back seat in Europe easier but also makes it not a real necessity either.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Isn't that what the nanny is for?
    We never had a nanny. The kids are practically feral.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, looking at the stats for Europe v. US - average household size in Europe is 2.3 while the average household size in United States is 2.58. Plus that's size as in number of people, not size in terms of weight. Europe's average body weight is 156lbs while in the United States it is 177lbs.

Probably makes fitting three in the back seat in Europe easier but also makes it not a real necessity either.
    What are the height differences between Europe and US?
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Real men drive minivans, when minivans make sense.

ho.jpg
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are the height differences between Europe and US?
    US average height is 5'9" for men and 5'4" for women and in Europe, 5'10" for men and 5'4" for women.

If you subtract the Dutch from Europe's population, the average height of men in Europe is 5'2" and 4'8" for women.

I am kidding of course, but man, those Dutch people are tall.

p.s. these stats are from Wikipedia and Science Today.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

US average height is 5'9" for men and 5'4" for women and in Europe, 5'10" for men and 5'4" for women.

If you subtract the Dutch from Europe's population, the average height of men in Europe is 5'2" and 4'8" for women.

I am kidding of course, but man, those Dutch people are tall.

p.s. these stats are from Wikipedia and Science Today.
    Interesting ... thanks for being my Google-Fu.
    Auk's words to live by:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Real men drive minivans, when minivans make sense.

ho.jpg
    Is this one of those 'find the one item that doesn't belong' quizzes?

Jorn, how many Dutch children will fit in a standard sedan? Compensating of course for two statistically tall adults in the front seats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    This. Plus my wife staunchly refuses a van right now. Hence the search for a couple year stopgap with wide second row. To be replaced by something with three rows when the rugrats are bigger. I really can't believe how hard this is, but then I think about the percentage of the population that had a toddler and two infants at the same time, and I realize this is a bit more unusual situation than many have.

I've got a line on a nicely priced Touareg with low (enough) miles. If I can fit the car seats I'll probably just jump on it. My dad had one and he loved it; I enjoyed driving it the few times I had occasion to do so.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dutchess View Post
    Is this one of those 'find the one item that doesn't belong' quizzes?
    Golf clubs obviously.

Jorn, how many Dutch children will fit in a standard sedan? Compensating of course for two statistically tall adults in the front seats.
    Depends on how you stack 'em.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books