User Tag List

Page 108 of 351 FirstFirst ... 9899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118 ... LastLast
Results 2,141 to 2,160 of 7005

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

I'd say we get mid-20s around town, and mid-30s on the highway in our 2010 Fit Sport w/auto. I hear the new model's city mileage is much improved.

Whatever, I love the stupid little thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bullitt?!
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Musgrave View Post
    Bullitt?!
    Not mine. It used to belong to some jerk.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turns out Renault make some pretty tough road cars these days. No roll-cage here, this is during Touristenfahrten at the Nürburgring Nordschleife.

Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you own an unmodified 2016 Golf R (18" model, no DCC)? Do you know someone with a Golf R? Shoot me a note if so. Might have a deal for you.

RP

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
    Bentley here, taking vulgarity to another level entirely. A self-winding Breitling Tourbillon for the dashboard of your hideous new 'Bentayga'.

Oh fer crissakes...if there was ever a time we needed a little more Jeremy Clarkson!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turns out Renault make some pretty tough road cars these days. No roll-cage here, this is during Touristenfahrten at the Nürburgring Nordschleife.
    Rubber side up braaping, brah.
    So on trend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My condolences to Salonistas that own tdi VWs...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    Its been this way since new.

Get in car. Start car. Back and forth a few times to get out of parallel parking space. Drive 100 feet. Stop. Wait for a few cars to go. Drive 300 feet, accelerate to around 20 before coming to another stop. Do that six times, maybe sitting and waiting for other cars or pedestrians. Then sit at a light for a few minutes. Then do the drive 300 feet and stop thing another 6-8 times. Park. Get groceries. Drive home. 20mpg is hypermiling. 16-18 typical, especially when cold outside.
    But why taking a car for this while you could walk, use skates or ride a bike ?
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    My condolences to Salonistas that own tdi VWs...
    Not needed. Mine is an absolutely fantastic car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess my wife and I dithered around long enough that I am going to have to take the TDI in and get things done to it like alignment, oil change, and maybe even new tires, now that no one can sell us a TDI Sportwagon and the AW TDI Sportwagon's arrival is probably slowly disappearing into the distance.

Or I could buy one of these. Diesel. Sportwagon. AWD. Same same. Just a small upcharge.

Note: I just test drove the one a friend in Virginia just bought, and I probably should not have done that because that car is nice. Very. Nice.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just bought a new car... well, new to me, a 1991 560SEC. Last year Mercedes Benz made the W126 chassis.
    I just feel better when driving that car. Maybe a little overly complex, but comfortable. I feel even better
    when I think about the price... $2,500. Some rust but it looks good, has low miles, and I believe all the systems
    work just fine.

The 560 is like a fine custom tailored suit. Excellent fit and elegant while still being comfortable.

Of course for ultimate comfort I would still like to have a brand new, totally rebuilt, 1972 Volvo 142... again.

That car was truly wonderful.

-Max

The redoubtable Mrs. Speedwell could be happier.... she has been unhappy with all our cars for decades.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would dearly love to see a pic or two of your 'new' SEC! Effing brilliant cars, such presence.
    Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would dearly love to see a pic or
    two of your 'new' SEC! Brilliant cars, such presence.
    Raining today. Maybe when I return to civilization.
    Right now my wife is keeping the car down here in
    the city. I'm using an old Ford Ranger. I'm having
    a great time in retirement. A few days ago I was
    doing about 20 mph & just starting to head down a
    long dirt & gravel driveway. About seventy five feet
    ahead I flushed-out mom and her two cubs. Just a
    trio of black bears and they were small. I wanted to
    keep them in sight so I was running them down. They
    were totally silent and going at least thirty mph. It
    suddenly dawned on me that I had done a few smarter
    things in my life. Just not the thing to do when you're
    on a mountain bike.

As for the car....

I may have it sold. Put the following ad on Craig's List.
    Yep, just bought it but my wife has persuaded me to sell it.

I've gotten some comments on the ad. People may just
    like my ad more than the car. So, here's the ad:

Whoops... looks like I have too many characters. Follow-up in the next post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This has been our second Mercedes Benz sports coupe. These are wonderful cars, very easy to work on
    (I'm no mechanic but I can do most every repair or service needed). I truly love it. My wife, however, is
    driving me nuts!!

We have a very happy marriage... except for when it comes to cars.

She wanted a Volvo and pestered me incessantly. So, for her birthday I bought her a (beautiful) Volvo.

“Here it is!” I announced.

“Oh... uh huh....”

“Don't you like it? I bought you a Volvo!”

“Oh... uh huh....”

“Well, what's wrong? You said you wanted a Volvo... I bought you a Volvo....”

“I wanted the old style.”

(UGH!) “Ok... (me doing a slow burn) I'll look for the old style Volvo.”

A few years later (of diligent searching) I found the “old style” Volvo.

“Here it is!” I (yet again) announced. “A spectacular 1977, almost show-room
    condition... only 63,000 miles! It's the last year of the “flat hoods” and is a
    very rare find! It can go to Volvo club gatherings and be an instant trophy winner!

“Oh... uh huh....”

“Don't you like it? I bought you a Volvo... you DID say
    you wanted the “old style” Volvo....” (As my words trailed off....)

“Well not now!!”

(WHAT?? Oh man...! It's not like the sex is all that good (she does NOW
    put-down the remote, newspaper, and Cheetos) but it's “cheaper to keep
    her”, and I am trying to keep her happy). Sold that wonderful Volvo. Time
    to keep looking. She did always dream of a 1965 Mustang. Red with white
    interior. I found a '66... white with red interior. The car had been “in the
    family” for decades. The owner had his own shop and did his own repairs.
    Flawless show winner? No, but still, a very spectacular car.

“Could you come and see me? I'm at XYZ car
    repair, hair salon, and mini mart”.

“What is it, a Mustang?”

“Just come and see. It's a surprise.”

She arrived a few minutes later.

“Oh... a Mustang....”

“Say the word and it's yours. You've always
    wanted a Mustang. What's the word?”

“No.”

“No?? You've always wanted a Mustang.”

“No. I don't want a Mustang anymore.”

(Well... I tried).

I did find a Ferrari 400i. The 400i is nice... very nice. This is a car that doesn't say, “Hey, look
    at me! My husband has a hot wife and he bought me a Ferrari!” It's a car that says, “I have a
    hot wife, a Ferrari, you don't, and I'm rubbing your nose in both of them!” I soon discovered that
    the Ferrari came under the “Don't even think about it or I'll send the baby sitter, Lorena Bobbett
    to see you” category. Well, at least I didn't spend money on that Ferrari.

Knowing the 400i was out, I thought a 308gts (slow learner) might be more to her liking. “What do
    you think, Dear? A Ferrari 308gts, just like on Magnum P.I., and look, it's a hard top but this panel
    removes and it suddenly becomes a convertible. You can drive around topless... ha ha! Get it?”

“Are you out of your mind?”

“Why do you keep changing the subject?”

I did find her a fantastic Mercedes 420SEL. Nice car and the price was excellent. Again, a car built
    on the wonderful W126 chassis. She said THAT would work for her. (WHEW!) I told the seller I would
    take it AND THEN she said, “No, I guess I don't want that one.” Had to appease the seller and make
    “it” right. I had already told him I would take the car (Aww, man...!)

Next up... Rolls Royce (yes... really). A 1993 Silver Spur. “It's a 1993... one of the last Crewe built cars!
    A few quirks with Rolls Royce, and a person had better know what they're doing if they want to own a Rolls
    Royce but I can perform the search on the service history, and provenance, read the logs, and do much of
    my own work. It really doesn't get much finer than this!”

“No!!” (came the response) I would have to put “Madam” in
    front of my name if I drove that thing!”

(WHAT IS GOING ON?? IT'S A ROLLS FREAKING ROYCE FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD!)

So finally (after more than a decade of this frustration) I found her a nice 1991 (the last year of the “oh
    so spectacular” W126 chassis) Mercedes 560SEC. (Yep, a Sonderclasse. How good can life get??) Yes,
    a little rust but not something that couldn't be easily and inexpensively treated. “THAT car would be fine”
    she announced. (You're sure...?). I told the seller (also a long-time Mercedes man, and a top rated, long-
    time Mercedes Benz, and Rolls Royce, factory trained mechanic) I was gun-shy and not of the car, but of
    the probable response. We talked for hours about the service history and details of the car. Feeling very
    comfortable, I decided the car was too nice to pass-up and she DID say she wanted it.

We've only had the car a few weeks....

Yep, you guessed it.

Re-aggravate another salmon....

The car is leaving. I really like the W126 chassis, and the SEC model is a monument
    to fine motoring. I really do like this car but... I've had more of this than I can enjoy.

I plan to sell this fine Mercedes Benz (a car that by-the-way cost more new than our view home
    did in 1991). I plan to buy her a Yugo. Yes, the Yugo WILL BE WRONG but I know that going in.

So, all that said, here it is, “top of the line”, last year (1991) of the
    phenomenal W126 chassis. A 560SEC Mercedes Benz sports coupe.

*Interior – Not a concours show winner but very nice. Almost like new.

*Miles – Low. 155,000.

*Body – Some rust but the repair is fast, inexpensive and easy. (This is the reason the car isn't $17,000).

*Drive train – Again, very nice. I need to replace a part on the fuel system. I already have the part and
    again, a fast and inexpensive service. I can do that (unless it unexpectedly snows) before I sell the car.
    If it snows? Well, you can do it. Fast and easy. Only take a few minutes. I'm too old to get under the
    car in the snow. Anymore, my bones just don't like that.

*The Awe Factor – Off the chart? No, but close to the top. I would
    be lying if I said this car wasn't a real blast to own and drive.

*Wheels & tires – Very nice. The tires are almost new. The big mono block wheels with NO
    curb rash. The wheels & tires are not worth as much as I'm asking for the entire car but they
    are priced way up there. If you don't mind being seen with lesser wheels you could take these
    off, buy a cheap replacement set, and with the difference send your son to college.

Anything else? I do like keeping the car in a near flawless condition so (if I were the next owner) I would
    change the left front control arm (quick, easy, and inexpensive. About thirty minutes if you DON'T know
    what you're doing and (if I remember right) about $17), change the oil, take a look at the engine mounts
    (also quick and easy and inexpensive to service. They are designed to wear as they are a safety feature
    and are designed to break-away in a certain manner in the event of an accident).

That's about all I can think of. I really would prefer to sell it to a “Mercedes person”. You know, someone
    who knows and appreciates these cars. At the very least be willing to learn about them and please do your
    own service work as no one will care about your car as much as you will. They are very easy to work on,
    and most parts are (surprise!) very inexpensive.

What else....

*A leather interior (of course). If you plan to own a Mercedes Benz, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE take the
    free online course from Leatherique. It is easy and inexpensive to keep a luxury interior looking like new.

*Heated seats. I honestly can't remember if these are the AMG seats, or if the AMG seats were to be
    pulled out of another car, and these seats were to be an up-grade for the AMG seats, but your backside
    will fit like a glove. Oh so nice.

*Alarm system.

*Climate control system works well, and the AC is ice cold.

*It has wipers on the headlights. It makes the car fun to drive because the young women (no, I'm not
    looking but it is... oh, well, never mind) see the wipers on the headlights and it just seems to give the
    car a certain “cache'. (“It's gotta be very expensive, it has wipers on the headlights!”). Give it twenty
    five years... you'll understand....

One final word of warning... keep an eye on the speedometer. It is very easy to be quietly, and smoothly
    motoring along at sixty, only to find the State Patrol at your window informing, “You're being ticketed for
    being twenty seven over.” Quiet, smooth, luxurious, and a lot of power. Easy to get into trouble. BTW...
    in spite of this car having a 5.6 liter engine (yes, really... 350 cubic inches!) it does get very good fuel
    economy. About 18 – 22 mpg depending on your foot being in or out of the fuel injection system. I'm
    probably over 22 mpg but then, I don't like giving hard-earned money to Arabs, Russians, Guatamalans, etc...

I just decided (today) I've had enough and so I don't even have photos yet (coming early next week).
    It's white and a real head-turner. Just so you know what these look like, I did post a photo of a white
    560SEC off Google. Almost identical to the car in the photo but it is a different car than the one pictured.

Auto reply is fastest and I really don't want to post my phone number. I've been told the car dealers can
    drive you nuts with their incessant calls. We can e-mail back & forth or I can give you a call if you'll send
    along your phone number.

Chances are very good that I can deliver. Maybe for free, maybe for a few dollars (no, I'm not driving this
    car anywhere near Tacoma) depending upon location.

Well, that's about it. A car you will truly enjoy, and like
    the wife, these cars rarely require unexpected servicing.

- "Mad" Max Speedwell

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't buy cars that are newer, i buy cars that are older.
    this one 10 yrs older than my truck...price was right, especially for a B-body.
    needs some basic things fixed. will have time to work on it soon.
    not sure i'f i'm going to go more protouring-ish with larger wheels and better handling tires or do it more like a 60's srteet strip brawler..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hand up for ProTouring setup without going nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookietruck View Post
    not sure i'f i'm going to go more protouring-ish with larger wheels and better handling tires or do it more like a 60's srteet strip brawler..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cookietruck View Post

As a C-body man I say right on. Just make sure the torsion bars are 100% before you uprate the tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    As a C-body man I say right on. Just make sure the torsion bars are 100% before you uprate the tires.
    yeah one of hte first things on the list.
    will do larger t-bars and some XHD leaf springs in the rear, probably a front anti-sway bar
    definitely needs some nice shocks on it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How come I never heard about the Mini Paceman? A turbo AWD Mini. I loved my Mini, I traded it in for the tacoma when I moved back west. But this could be my summer car.

-Joe