Page 10 of 350 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Mini's aren't that reliable from what I've read. Briefly looked at them when I was shopping for a car a few years ago.

This is what I ended up with instead: 2008 Honda Civic Si Sedan.
    Swapped in some aftermarket springs, rear sway bar, and alignment hardware. I LOVE this car.
    4 doors, seats 4 comfortably for around town trips, the drivers seat is amazingly comfy and supportive, the best cupholders ever (you can rag it out thru the mtns and not spill a drip), big trunk, very fun to drive, quick enough (certainly not fast though), 200hp out of a 2.0L I4 with a screaming 8,000rpm redline, and I average at least 29mpg every tank. And it's as reliable as a hammer. I bought it new for $22,500 OTD and after over 90,000 miles it's only been to the shop once because the AC wasn't cool any more. The valves were loose, had it back the same day and the repair bill was less than $80. Changing the oil is a massive PITA though because the filter is hard to get to and right above the passenger side drive axle.

My next car will be another Honda.

Last edited by dgaddis; 12-09-2011 at 11:46 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post

My next car will be another Honda.
    Yep.

I knew,someday, I'd get my 3-series BMW. This thought had been with me since I was, oh, 15 or 16.

And last month the realistic opportunity finally presented itself - I had the means, I had the need. But then I drove a TSX Wagon and 328ix Wagon back to back, and I realized I'm a Honda kinda guy. Don't get me wrong - the Bimmer is great. But so, in its own subtle way, is the Acura.

So I've got a shiny new wagon and about $12k more than I thought I would still in my pocket. Or from another perspective, I've got two Hondas for a few thousand more than one BMW.

With age comes wisdom, I guess.

GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Screw BMW. I want something reliable that doesn't cost a ton to buy or repair. And I don't care about status symbols.

A buddy of mine's father in law works at a local bimmer dealer, so my buddy's wife has a 3 series lease for stupid cheap (~$90 a month) and they've had all sorts of issues, the last was that the car would lock itself in a security mode if it was put in park sometimes. So his wife went to a drive up ATM, put it in park, and then couldn't leave. Wait 20mins and it'll unlock itself. Took the dealer two weeks to fix it b/c BMW sent them the wrong wiring diagram to look at. The local techs spent hours on the phone with engineers at BMW trying to figure out WTF was happening. Finally someone realized they had the wrong wiring diagram (after installing several hundred dollars worth of parts trying to fix it), turned out it was like a $25 part or something stupid. Luckily it's a lease, so it didn't cost them anything and they had a loaner while it was in the shop.

A few weeks ago the same buddy took delivery of a brand new 1M. Badass looking car. Went thru the break in period, took it to the dealer to have the fluids swapped, then discoverd they put the wrong fluids in it (tranny and oil IIRC). They didn't believe him. He kept pressing the issue, and they finally realized they screwed up. When trying to get the correct fluids they called my buddy to get the part number because they couldn't find it in the system! Then the car sat at the dealer for a week waiting on the fluids to get here.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the validation!

I realized how critically important reliability is to me a few cars back. I bought a '95 Contour SE - hot V6, tight suspension, etc. A poor man's 3 series, and great fun to drive. But. The thing broke, and broke, and broke. It got to the point after a few years that whenever I heard the slightest creak or clunk I was filled with dread. On the road to Rehoboth Beach one hot July day the AC died, leaving my family literally steaming in stop-and-go traffic. But the final straw was less than a month later when my wife called me in tears (she never cries over petty crap) from the dealership where, once again, they had failed to fix whatever stupid problem the car was having.

We bought a brand new 2000 TL a few weeks later. I just traded that wonderful car, after 11 1/2 years and 150k miles, for the TSX.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A friend bought a used M3 with 20K miles on it and within 1 month started giving problems. It took them 6 months to figure out the problems but even prior to that they thought they couldn't fix it and offered everything but a brand new model. My wife was also around at BMW when the radically styled 7-series came out - those things were wiring nightmares.

My wife had a honda in the late 90s and loved it. Funny you mention cup holders. I always thought their wipers were top notch too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My one real complaint?

They look better in real life than in photos- the TSX is more svelte & creased and the Fit is just so damn perky - but I wish Honda's design was a little more, y'know, good.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those TSX wagons are super hot. It was a bit more than we wanted to spend when we picked up our off-lease A4 Avant, but I would very much consider one in the future. A good mutual friend of Delicious and myself was about to get the Avant and went for the TSX. The interior is really, really nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, so this is where I can ask about cars!
    Looking at a used Accord for the wife, don't think we can go wrong there. But I'm thinking about a Ford transit for myself, seems like if would work for the small deliveries I do to NYC and might be good for going to bike races. Anyone know about them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Officer View Post
    Ah, so this is where I can ask about cars!
    Looking at a used Accord for the wife, don't think we can go wrong there. But I'm thinking about a Ford transit for myself, seems like if would work for the small deliveries I do to NYC and might be good for going to bike races. Anyone know about them?
    tom:

friend has a ford transit --- uses for his business and weekends for his bikes -- really likes --- taking him some time to progress through his perception of a mini delivery truck..

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Ronnie....they are a little funny looking, but seem very practical for what I need to do. When I deliver to NYC even a cargo van is a PIA as you can't go on the parkways, like the Westside highway and such. Plus if I have to stay for a few hours the parking garages usually don't want to take a full size van. And it seems ideal for bikes, could probably rig up a cool way to rack the bikes inside and still have a changing area....imagine a mini protour bus set up!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read somewhere that the biggest grip folks have with the transit is that they lack some refinement with regard to the suspension and steering, but that probably needs to be expected at the pricepoint and expected use of the rig. Can't argue much with the practicality that comes along with the shape, though. I think that you are on the right track for something to take into NYC, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dig those Transits - even though it does say f-o-r-d on the front ;-)
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    I read somewhere that the biggest grip folks have with the transit is that they lack some refinement with regard to the suspension and steering, but that probably needs to be expected at the pricepoint and expected use of the rig. Can't argue much with the practicality that comes along with the shape, though. I think that you are on the right track for something to take into NYC, though.
    This. A friend has one for work purposes. Its good as a tool. The ride sucks, speakers/acoustics sucks, finishings suck. But as a tool, its great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by musgravecycles View Post
    I dig those Transits - even though it does say f-o-r-d on the front ;-)
    Those new 4 door fiestas and hatchback focuses sure do look nice and euro. But yes, it has 'f-o-r-d' on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought last year's Audi S5 because I heard they would put in the smaller motor and I wanted the large, stupid, gas guzzling natural 8. It's everything that's right and wrong about cars. You can't buy happiness but you can buy exhilaration. Thrills don't always come cheap. I will have that Citroen DS before I die. Stupid is as stupid does. I like friction shifting too.
    Qui plume a, guerre a. Ce monde est un vaste temple dédié à la discorde.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    Those new 4 door fiestas and hatchback focuses sure do look nice and euro. But yes, it has 'f-o-r-d' on it.
    A major step up in curb appeal, atmo. But I am still nervous about them falling apart. And I think you could put the Fiesta in the back of a Fit (with the seats folded.)
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dbrk View Post
    I bought last year's Audi S5 because I heard they would put in the smaller motor and I wanted the large, stupid, gas guzzling natural 8. It's everything that's right and wrong about cars. You can't buy happiness but you can buy exhilaration. Thrills don't always come cheap. I will have that Citroen DS before I die. Stupid is as stupid does. I like friction shifting too.
    I like to keep my personal stupid cheap. Maybe someday I'll look for a 3-figure 3-series... But I do want an afternoon behind the wheel of your S5!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's wrong with Ford? They put many Americans on the road for the first time and they have won every major race in the world...multiple times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm into this little Fiat today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TRuss View Post
    What's wrong with Ford? They put many Americans on the road for the first time and they have won every major race in the world...multiple times.
    See post #184.

p.s. It's my favorite US carmaker.
    GO!