Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My Suit NY

Anyone have experience with this place?

My.Suit :: Made-To-Measure

I need a black suit for a wedding next month. I hate black suits. This place is cheap and semi-bespoke. Fast turnaround too. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Warning: The suit-builder on the site is kind of addictive.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: My Suit NY

I have a suit from them. Brought my father, brother and two co-workers. One co-worker I think has 8 suits from them now plus a few shirts. For $500 I don't think you can to wrong. The prices go up in $100 increments based on fabric but the $500 is pretty nice.

They take their time doing your measurements and really talk to you about fit. They also give you a lot of options for that price. It really is impressive. I am very happy with the fit of my suit and everyone I know that went says the same thing. I wouldn't buy an off the rack suit again. They turn it around in about 2 weeks, pretty sure they are made in mexico.

And no, I ddn't get anything for sending them all that business. Kind of wish I did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    Anyone have experience with this place?

I hate black suits.
    Me too. And black shoes for that matter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sjauch View Post
    I have a suit from them. Brought my father, brother and two co-workers. One co-worker I think has 8 suits from them now plus a few shirts. For $500 I don't think you can to wrong. The prices go up in $100 increments based on fabric but the $500 is pretty nice.

They take their time doing your measurements and really talk to you about fit. They also give you a lot of options for that price. It really is impressive. I am very happy with the fit of my suit and everyone I know that went says the same thing. I wouldn't buy an off the rack suit again. They turn it around in about 2 weeks, pretty sure they are made in mexico.

And no, I ddn't get anything for sending them all that business. Kind of wish I did.
    I'm trying to get out of this as cheaply as possible, since I won't be wearing this suit much. I figure its cheaper than buying off the rack and making the trip to a tailor. Saves time too. How's the quality of the construction? Any durability issues yet? Stitching seems pretty good? Overall, on par or better than department store stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Britishbane View Post
    Me too. And black shoes for that matter.
    Well, let's not get crazy here.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

website is really well done. seems legit

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sjauch View Post

How long have you had the suit? The prices are amazing for custom, and I'm wondering if the quality lives up to the tailoring.

Very intriguing, for sure.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had my suit for over 2 years and haven't had any issues. I have worn it quite a bit too. I've traveled in it, packed it and worn it at my 9-5 desk job. My friend who bought a bunch of them hasn't told me of any issues or complaints. He did just order some new ones because of normal pant wear from having them for almost 3 years.

They offered an option of ordering a 2nd pair of pants at the same time as your suit for a slight discount. Not sure if this is something they still do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an appointment with my guy from Bangkok on Tuesday night in midtown. He's presently on one of his North American tours. Moonriverbyvj

I'm willing to bet his schedule is full, but it's worth asking if anyone is interested. Be prepared to be overwhelmed with options.

He can't get you a month turnaround (more like two-to-three months), but I can't recommend him enough, and the prices are pretty similar. FWIW, he suits Bill Clinton, although depending on your perspective, that could be a good thing or a bad thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every time I hear someone talking about buying a black suit, I ask them if they have a funeral to attend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    Every time I hear someone talking about buying a black suit, I ask them if they have a funeral to attend.
    Wedding. So, yeah...
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Yelp reviews are not so great. But I know what I'm looking for in a suit, so as long as the guy taking my measurements isn't a total idiot.... Well, we'll see.

Got an appointment at the Madison location for Sat at 4pm. I'll report back with findings.

Definitely going for peak lapels. Black suits are kinda/sorta formal. Single or two-button; what say the Salon?
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EddieBirdsell View Post
    I have an appointment with my guy from Bangkok on Tuesday night in midtown. He's presently on one of his North American tours. Moonriverbyvj

I'm willing to bet his schedule is full, but it's worth asking if anyone is interested. Be prepared to be overwhelmed with options.

He can't get you a month turnaround (more like two-to-three months), but I can't recommend him enough, and the prices are pretty similar. FWIW, he suits Bill Clinton, although depending on your perspective, that could be a good thing or a bad thing.
    Funny - I got a letter from my HK tailor about his latest tour, but he isn't getting any closer to Boston than midtown Manhattan.

p.s. Didn't David used to have a cock?
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Yelp reviews are not so great. But I know what I'm looking for in a suit, so as long as the guy taking my measurements isn't a total idiot.... Well, we'll see.

Got an appointment at the Madison location for Sat at 4pm. I'll report back with findings.

Definitely going for peak lapels. Black suits are kinda/sorta formal. Single or two-button; what say the Salon?
    Single w/peak lapels.

I've got one black suit - crepe, silver buttons, no belt loops. Strictly for special occasions.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you only rock black in a formal manner, than single.

And a ticket pocket.
    I write for daily serving

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warning: The suit-builder on the site is kind of addictive.
    Understatement of the day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are so many options...buttons and pockets and slants and straights...a little overwhelming to a loser like me.
    Insubordinate. And Churlish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This may sound like heresy to the stylish, but I say go for Men's Warehouse and rent a tux.

Seriously. It's like $50-60 for a day or two, there's one on Madison in the 40's (been there done that plenty of times).

When you're shit faced and on the dance floor and having a grand ol' time celebrating someone else's marriage, nobody's going to give a rat's ass about lapels. And if that is the topic of conversation, that sounds like one really boring party!!!

Besides, your wrinkled and dessert-covered jacket will probably be worn by some gorgeous companion to keep her warm anyway.

I once spent a stupid amount of money on a nice tux. What a waste that was. Why buy the cow when you can rent one cheap?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
    This may sound like heresy to the stylish, but I say go for Men's Warehouse and rent a tux.

Seriously. It's like $50-60 for a day or two, there's one on Madison in the 40's (been there done that plenty of times).

When you're shit faced and on the dance floor and having a grand ol' time celebrating someone else's marriage, nobody's going to give a rat's ass about lapels. And if that is the topic of conversation, that sounds like one really boring party!!!

Besides, your wrinkled and dessert-covered jacket will probably be worn by some gorgeous companion to keep her warm anyway.

I once spent a stupid amount of money on a nice tux. What a waste that was. Why buy the cow when you can rent one cheap?
    I'm 30. All of my friends are getting married. Why rent several shitty cows when I can buy one great one for the same amount of money?

PS- NO ONE looks good in a rental tux.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"The two most obvious things in the world are a rented suit and a rented woman." -P.J. O'Rourke

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yes if you're going to wear one several times then it's definitely worth buying a nice one. That includes the whole ensemble--shoes, shirt, cummerbund (if appropriate), yadda yadda.

(I assumed by your post that it was for only one event, which is why I suggested a rental.)

I'm 30. All of my friends are getting married. Why rent several shitty cows when I can buy one great one for the same amount of money?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast