Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Persol and other luxury optics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Persol and other luxury optics.

My first pair were just sheer luck. Friend Brian, who always has something else to do, needed to stop at Nordstrom Rack on State St. and get some underwear before we rode home, northwest out of the Loop.

It's hard to pay attention to style and not see the name Persol once or twice. So I forgave Brian for making me late, because I poked around the sunglasses one by one and found my first pair, the 2943 S in Tortoise Shell. They're heavy, like in quality heavy. The lenses are actually glass I think. They're also magic, because every single human being in the universe looks amazing in them. I gave my original pair to girlfriend Liz because she looked like a badass in them.
    Persol_PO2943S_24_31.jpeg

A little research taught me that the company was sold to Luxottica (like every other optical brand) but they're supposedly still made in the same plant on the same machines in Turin like they always have since 1917. The founders name was Giuseppe Ratti.

Then I got this 2nd pair, the 2966. These were amazing glasses. So jaunty and rakish. Just a touch of the cateye shape, enough to be very distinctive in my mind. Mine were actually navy blue. But I lost them. Or someone grabbed them off the counter at work. I don't know, but it was a big bummer.
    Persol_PO2966S_POL_95_58.jpeg

Then I went nordstrom rack scrounging one day in the suburbs, and I found another pair of 2943s in Northbrook. Northbrook is home to a velodrome, Ferris Bueller's high school, and cycles noir.

My particular weakness is variations on the Aviator.

Morgenthal Frederics looks cool.

The Super Avenger. Handmade out of buffalo horn in Germany
    SUPER_AVENGER.jpg

Keith. Keith is apparently handmade out of wood and titanium in Japan
    KEITH.jpg

Anybody else with strong feelings on the subject?

Do you buy the same glass over and over or do you change it up?

Multiple pair? Sometimes I feel like some black frames could add punch now and then. Gravitas.

dish

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Persol and other luxury optics.

Big weakness of mine. I lean toward Wayfarer type shapes. Current favorites are a pair of custom Tom Davies in tortoiseshell acetate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just lost a pair of Aviators, the largest size Ray Ban makes. The only things that don't emphasize the huge noggin.

I am TERRIBLE about losing or breaking glasses.

When I was at U of Colorado, the cycling team had a deal with Rudy Project. If something broke, we'd call and get a replacement pair sent. I don't think they liked me.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maui Jims world headquarters are 90 miles away in Peoria IL, I've had 3-4 pairs the polarized lenses are sweet for driving. I got a pair of Wiley X's last year in a promotion from a fishing reel company and they are my go to outdoor glasses wraparound shape and tough as nails lenses. Not stylish but I won't cry when they fall under the mower either.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are some nice wayfarer variations from YSL, Ksubi, and Thierry Lasry
    Image for Ksubi ARA SUNGLASSES.jpegS Sunglasses.jpegThierry Lasry Hooky Sunglasses.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my most favoritist pair of shades ever were Persol aviators. Perfect size with a subtle curve so they weren't as windshield-y as some aviators. alas, they were destroyed by a hard fall on my icy driveway this winter that also did a number on my knee. To top it off, I bought them while on one of the coolest trips of my life so they had a bit of sentimental value as well. I haven't gotten around to replacing them, but I will. If you are not the type that loses glasses, or falls in your driveway, you can't go wrong with Persols.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have Persol aviators, and I don't remember the model number. I broke a screw off in the hinge so I need to get them fixed. The shape is magic for everyone who's stolen them off my face so far.
    I'm always on the lookout for a deal on another pair for backup, but for some reason that model never pops on forums or ebay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know you guys are talking about off-the-rack non-prescription, but there are those of us who don't go to WalMart or the mall for our prescription glasses.

I drive my optician nuts sometimes. Just yesterday, after my third visit, I finally settled on a pair of Ørgreen Optics Ridley for my next everyday frames.

Although in a different color. I went back and forth between a violet and a blue, finally taking her advice and choosing the blue. So I'm back to Danish Ti after a brief fling with Belgian steel powdercoat.

I'm also trying progressive lenses this time. For the past 15 years I've worn lined tri-focals, but these lenses are so wide that even in the highest refraction index, they would be 7mm thick at the outer edge.

In sunnies, I still really like a Wayfarer-inspired look. I'm sticking with my current Kala MAX frames, handmade in NorCal, with polarized lined bi-focals in the new 'scrip.

Now if I can only decide on new frames for my computer glasses… I'm leaning towards something really geeky this time, along the lines of mid-century engineer, although sans pocket-protector.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

off to the optometrist in an hour to pick up these

I have been through some challenges with Progressive lenses. I didn't know enough when I first tried them. There are different profiles and the cheapest also has the narrowest band of full prescription. It is kind of an hourglass shape and the narrower the center the more critical the direction you are looking. For riding I have found this tremendously distracting. It limits my peripheral vision and makes me queazy when I look around.

I have made it work with the broader pattern where my prescription for long distance is wider in the middle and top and the reading prescription is a smaller area.

this also helps when I am working in the computer while watching TV. This is a very important part of my life and Salon time.
    Dovid@dhoffman.consulting

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm kind of a glasses whore both in terms of prescription glasses & sunglasses. I also love Persols.

If you're the kind of person who likes to have several pairs to choose from, check out warbyparker.com. They actually have some cool styles, they're inexpensive ($95 or $135 if you have a stronger prescrip and need a high index lens) and they'll send you up to five frames via UPS 2-day to try them on.

I saw an article on them in the NY Times and gave them a whirl, and have been really happy with them.

I also love the new wayfarers (2132) as prescrip glasses; not quite as chunky as the originals but still a heavy, strong frame that looks a little industrial.

JC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My (very mild) prescription glasses are Shuron Ronsir. Shuron's one of the oldest glasses-making companies in the US

On the sunglasses tip, I tend to avoid any brand that doesn't do glasses as their main thing, aka Paul Smith, YSL, Prada, whatever. One of the many reasons I like Persol, since they only do glasses. On the bike or running, it's oakley for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

only oakley for sports.

I wish warby parker would do sunglasses, because they had some very very nice looking frames.

I actually went to a Morgenthal Frederics dealer and saw the glasses I had posted above. They were very, very nice. I don't think I would spend $1400 on them though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soupless View Post
    only oakley for sports.

I wish warby parker would do sunglasses, because they had some very very nice looking frames.

I actually went to a Morgenthal Frederics dealer and saw the glasses I had posted above. They were very, very nice. I don't think I would spend $1400 on them though.

Holy crap. I love some of the MF designs, but that's getting into new bike frame territory, or new watch territory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Persol weakness. I feel like the Rat Pack when I put them on, and take them off only when I'm one step into a building for extra effect. I have them adjusted at Sunglass hut from time to time when they stretch and want to slide off my nose.