Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bookshelves. Let's see 'em.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bookshelves. Let's see 'em.

Ours serves as a wall between the kitchen and living room. So we sort all of our books by color of the spines. Makes it a bitch to find something if you don't remember what it looks like. But the color arrangement helps it disappear and look more like a wall. That's the arm of my roommate's hideous couch in the bottom right. Covered with a sheet, its Zigaboo HQ.

Whaddaya got?

Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bookshelves. Let's see 'em.

That's silly awesome. Or awesomely silly.

We have crappy old bookcases that used to belong to my wife's grandmother.
    Every few years, my wife takes all the books off the shelves, cleans 'em and re-organizes them to get all the new books we've randomly stuck on the shelves into some semblance of order.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By color? That's seriously sorted.

My most presentable bookcase is in the living room. A few years ago I had it organized: ancient and medieval on top, early modern on the second row, late modern on the third row, general references on the bottom row. Now it's pretty messed up and I think I see some National Geographic, some dog books, a few board games, and a healthy dose of my wife's grocery store fiction. Since I don't use many of the books in this case on a regular basis I don't bother with organization or vetting.

IMG_0886.jpg

Most of the books I use on a regular basis are either in my home office bookcase or on the shelves in my work office. They're organized in my head, but I'm sure they're a picture of chaos to an outsider. No pictures of them - sorry.

My favorite recent find is all four volumes of Macaulay's "History of England" for $14 from a used bookstore in NY via Amazon. Bingo.

IMG_0887.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Behind me at this very moment. Bet you'll never guess what I do for a living.

The top shelf is all stuff people have given me over the years. Yes, that's a stuffed dog, but my secretaries gave it to me as a replacement when I was down about my ex-wife taking my real dog -- it was such a kind gesture that I can't part with it. There's also a "tractor-trailer full of whoopass," and a city directory from 1959 that lists not only addresses and phone numbers, but the names of all the kids living in the home and what the grown-ups do for a living. Proto-facebook.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the living room ...

Some of my favorite shelves...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The main bookshelves in the house are in the library. It's just a freaking room with a bunch of books in it, but I like being able to call it a library.

bookshelves.jpg
    P1010777.jpg

Books currently or recently being read float above one of our House Industries prints in the bedroom. (wife wouldn't let me hang the V-salon poster on that wall). Nicely appointed living spaces come with the territory of being married to the Design Director of one of Nashville's best tech companies.

P1010775.jpg

Chase, if my wife saw the books in your post sorted by color I would have a mess on my hands.
    Last edited by Nathanrtaylor; 03-09-2011 at 07:08 PM. Reason: :-)