Thread: OT: An old favorite - Chainsaws

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: OT: An old favorite - Chainsaws

Quote Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
    Hey TT, what kind of saw would you recommend to bring down a fallen tree that's got a ~15ft. tall "stump?" It's a big mudderfugger, probably 3ft. diameter or so. It's my neighbors, and it fell in the big bad storms last year. He hasn't had the inclination to have it removed (no idea why, but so it goes). I'm going to offer up renting a chainsaw and do it myself in xchange for beer, because i'm sick of looking at that half-busted tree stump eyesore.

Should i take it down in 3-4 foot segments rather than one big timmmmmmberrrrrrr? Or, do it all at once at the base?

VSalon: It's Not Just About The Bike.
    wades right
    stay away from this job. 1 tiny mistake is big trouble.
    not a novice job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Too Tall After nine years, do you have a review of your Dolmar?

Turns out that wood splitting and stacking might be the best quarantine activity ever. I'm all out of rounds though, and I'm thinking I'll make some more runs out into the woods once the ground dries out.

I'm using a Husqvarna 445, and even with a sharp chain it feels underpowered and boggy when felling 24"+ oak. Having a saw bogging when I'm almost to the end of a back cut is unnerving. In the short run, I'm going to work on some techniques for segmenting the felling job like plunge cuts, vertical segments, and safety strapping.

However, in the long run I'd like a 60 or even 70cc saw with a full-wrap handle that can handle at least a 20" bar, if not 24" when necessary.

I've got my eyes casually on a Husky 565 or 572xp, but the Dolmar/Makita 6000 and 7000 series saws are a couple hundred less. I'm curious how yours has been working.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think my post disappeared, so I will rewrite it.

My two cents: stick to the brand you are used to because the controls are where you expect to find them. Like having the safety of a gun just where you expect it to be.

My first saw was an 026 Stihl. Felling 100' pines was uncomfortable, so I moved up to an 044. Recently I started using Oregon chains without any safety features. They bite hard and stay sharp a long time.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a Dolmar for about 12 yrs. It was always tough to start after running for awhile. Never had that problem with a Stihl. Eventually it became intolerable and I sold it and bought a Husky.
    Tim C

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    I had a Dolmar for about 12 yrs. It was always tough to start after running for awhile. Never had that problem with a Stihl. Eventually it became intolerable and I sold it and bought a Husky.
    Caleb, to Clyde's point the Dolamr was never good at hot restart. There is a technique to overcome that but for another day. The Dolmar runs like a scalded cat and that is the main attraction. It revs quickly and runs at very high rpms. I've learned to deal with it's foibles so I kinda apologetically love it.

If it blew up tomorrow I'd get a semi-commercial Husky Rancher or Makita. I *think* Makita bought Dolmar and all the top line Makitas are infact Dolmar. I just took a look at the Makita website and yeah it is Dolmar. They look good. Makita EA5600FRGG 20-Inch 55.6cc Compact Gas Chain Saw, 3/8-Inch - .050-Inch << Nice looking specs. and they added easy start which was interesting with my current Dolmar. You need to be mindful, it takes a strong pull.

If you want real world reviews look at the Forrester Forums.

PS ANYTHING BUT AN ECHO just say no.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 04-04-2020 at 08:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I hung out briefly on the forester forums and they pretty much swore by husky and stihl. I think it came up in Jorn's thread that one key is having a good dealer to handle the occasional parts/service needs because even the best machines will be hurt by lack of local expertise (unless you want to learn small engine repair which isn't all that bad for the quality units...just something to keep in mind).
    am I the only Marvin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ides1056 Thanks, that's good to know. Before this year, I would have never thought I'd want something all the way up at 70cc, but it seems like lots of experienced guys use saws that big as all-rounders, not just felling saws. And, good tip on the chain. At some point I'll give a "pro" chain a try.

@Too Tall and @Clyde Thanks for the reports. The Makita saws seem like a good deal, but the only dealer around here is Home Depot. None of the small engine shops stock them, even if they're listed as a dealer. The hard start is probably the final nail in my decision making process.

@giordana93 I found the coolest shop tucked away in one of our first ring suburbs. It's about half chainsaws, and half climbing gear for arborists. They also do beginner classes and continuing ed classes for pros. Great place that I didn't know existed until this spring. I'll definitely buy from them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Makita 2-Inch 64cc Chain Saw DCS6421RFG | Acme Tools

Acme Tools carries a few models. I think they have a store in Plymouth. I know there’s a store in Duluth too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caleb, they fixed the hard start "thing".
    LOl I did try a pals STIHL and was pretty impressed with the easy2start. Neat trick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I bought my 026 in 1988. I have never done anything more than change the spark plug, bar and chain. Just follow the break-in instructions and use the proper mix and you will be good to go.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    I think I bought my 026 in 1988. I have never done anything more than change the spark plug, bar and chain. Just follow the break-in instructions and use the proper mix and you will be good to go.
    Also, follow the Stihl manual on what to do when you're done using the saw.

1. Drain the fuel back into the can.

2. Start the saw, but don't rev the engine.

3. Let it run until it dies.

4. Repeat Steps 2 and 3 until, after 2 pulls the saw won't start.

Why? Because if you don't drain the fuel lines and purge the carburetor of fuel, the MTBE in the fuel (assuming you use regular gas) will ruin the carburetor. I ruined one, and the repair shop insisted on the manual procedure above. Haven't had a problem for many years since.

I own a Stihl 026 Pro and I approve this message.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just went down a tree felling rabbit hole on YouTube. This guy's channel is great, but here's one especially pucker-worthy:

And this is some amazing logistical work (jump to 37 minutes to see the conclusion):

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    Smaller saws like my former 012 have always been adequate for me, if sometimes just, but it's bar stud pulled out and the repair didn't work. After asking around I picked up a well maintained, one-owner 034 Super from a friend who's definitely cut some wood with it, but isn't a pro. It took a little getting used to but wow....that thing has ruined me for chainsaws, even for the little stuff which it just demolishes without getting anywhere near it's power band. It should be my last saw but if it gets stolen I'll definitely be looking for another 60cc class, professional machine.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was visiting a customer a few weeks ago in the Cleveland area and had the pleasure of stopping into Arbowear, meeting the owner, and getting a tour of their facility. He has an amazing collection of chainsaws. Here's just one photo of their retail showroom display. Their clothing is bar-none the best for arbor care, too.

https://ibb.co/FnKQ0Ls

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is another good source for safety gear:

https://goclogger.com/
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The day has come. I love my Dolmar for all the right reasons. It runs fast and has tons of power, a heated grip no less! It vexes me because starting it requires the arm of Thor. Holy compression and hot starts can be tricky.

I'm circling a good old Husquvarna 455. Tractor Supply has one on the shelf. I use one at our VA campground, that old FarmBoss is easy to start and easy to run.

Say your peace. Spending twice seems to be my specialty. Grrr.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 08-18-2021 at 02:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not exactly what you're asking, but so far I've found my 562xp to be a much better saw than my 445 ever was.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caleb, I bet that's a heck of a chainsaw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I picked up a Husq Rancher 460 last winter and it's done me well so far. Probably only 5-6 cords in, but it has no problems with starts, hot or cold, to date.
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmgorman View Post
    I picked up a Husq Rancher 460 last winter and it's done me well so far. Probably only 5-6 cords in, but it has no problems with starts, hot or cold, to date.
    Good to know the new generation of these remain reliable. I like the thing, it runs like all the 455 Ranchers I've ever used. Digging the compression release and not the flimsy choke. OOOOO adjustable bar oil flow rate that's nice.

The Dolmar is up for grabs check classifieds. If you know you know. This one runs like a scalded cat, heated grip and is now Makita brand so parts are out there.

DOLMAR PS-5100 18"BAR #160519242820

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123