Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Basics: Underwear and Socks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Basics: Underwear and Socks

Two of the greatest tips that I picked up from Vsalon have nothing to do with bikes - American Apparel underwear and t-shirts, plus Vermont Tough wool socks. It is amazing how a quality and comfortable base layer can change your day.

Any other tips for good basics? I am especially looking for wool dress socks. Love the Vermont Tough socks, but the colors are pretty limited.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Basics: Underwear and Socks

I am a musician- I go out at night. I am a butler- I wake up early.

I roll out of bed and get on the bike/train and head to work. I start at 7 a.m., but the morning meeting isn't until 7:30. What am I doing for that half hour? First, I lock the office door and brush my teeth in the sink. Then I begin shaving, using a polished silver tray as a mirror. Deodorant is kept in the desk. I make coffee. I wake up.

What's my point, besides the fact that I'm gross? I don't give a shit about my everyday socks as long as they're clean socks. As I type this, I'm wearing a pair of black women's socks I picked up at the Duane Reade on 57th and 6th Ave, because I didn't have any clean ones. They're textured on the bottom and comfortable. I don't expect them to last long stretched over these size 13s.

Sure, I love a good pair of wool socks in my winter boots. Yes, I like a pair of cycling socks that will last a while. I like the different weights so I can feel cool and dry in the summer and warm and dry when the weather turns foul. But for you everyday socks, just get whatever works for you. Get them at the same time you get your underoos. Most of my socks and undies are AA as well; but this is because there's a store by the job site and I am often too busy or tired to do laundry. But I don't really have a preference. The dog doesn't have a preference which ones go in his mouth, either; and he's usually quite discerning.

About the t-shirts, though. AA 50-50 blend. I'm right there with ya. Probably have about a dozen in grey. And when it comes time to do laundry (read:go shopping for basics) again I'll probably pick up a few more.

So, my list of basics?

Good coffee.
    Coca Cola in a can.
    I will not rest until someone here gives this stuff a try. Bigelow Chemists : Bigelow Premium Shave Cream 5.1 oz [bpsc] - $10.00USD
    American Crew hair putty is great. Axe hair putty is darn close at a fraction of the price.
    Bic lighters. I used to smoke. Many of my guests do smoke. They're reliable, and it doesn't hurt when you have to give it away.
    Kiwi shoe polish and Leather Spa shoe cream.
    Dr. Bronner's soap. For me and the mutt.
    Levis 510s or 511s
    2 pair of black Keds. 1 at the office and 1 at home.
    H&M white button-ups. 5 is a nice number.
    Brooks Bros button-downs. Stay away from AA button shirts. I've had maybe 4 or 5 that have fallen apart fast.
    Woodford Reserve.
    Greek salad with grilled chicken makes a nice lunch that I don't seem to tire of.

To save him some time, I'll go ahead and reply for E-Richie:
    Twizzlers
    (end of list)
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hanes boxer shorts. The looser style w/ the contrasting band. For some reason when I get dressed in the morning and think about what weird shit I might have in store for me and how my clothing will come into play. I usually think about what will happen if everyone in the office has to see me w/o pants on. Like if there was a hostage situation or something. That's why I choose Hanes. They cover my junk and they are soft. Done and done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AbeNP View Post
    For some reason when I get dressed in the morning and think about what weird shit I might have in store for me and how my clothing will come into play. I usually think about what will happen if everyone in the office has to see me w/o pants on. Like if there was a hostage situation or something.
    1. That's messed up.

2. Why hasn't everyone in your office seen you sans pants?
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ExOfficio undershorts for me. I travel for work and pack very light. They wick nicely, dry very quickly (easily overnight if you do it right), don't get funky, super durable and are comfortable to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you mean Darn Tough socks, from Vermont- I second that emotion. I think they were recommended in a thread I started about socks, and I have 2 pairs that I rarely take off anymore. Need to find some lighter ones for spring.

I don't swear by too many other things, but here's a few:
    New Era wool baseball caps- the official MLB ones. Once they break in, they're golden.
    Patagonia boardshorts from 10 years ago. I have 2 pair that have been around the world. Surfing, kayaking, drinking beer on the beach, etc. and they are still going strong. I need to buy new ones this year because my waist has shrunk, and am dreading whether the new ones are the same quality.
    Chuck Taylors low-tops. Comfortable, machine washable, and cheap enough that you can buy a pair every year or two in a different color.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I propped the Darn Tough and GSmith backed me up (one of his companies jobbed out their socks to the Cabot family at a point in time).

I'm wearing them right now. With a suit. If you can stand to wear cotton socks as everyday socks, I salute you. I've gone completely microfiber and wool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wool socks always.

I used to think SmartWool could do no wrong, but then I bought their latest dress socks. They're distinctly average. Their cycling & hiking socks remain outstanding, though.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second on the exofficio under pants. I have about 12 pair and won't wear anything else. The styling of most of their clothes sucks, but not these, and nobody sees them anyway except my wife. And she just roles her eyes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    I used to think SmartWool could do no wrong, but then I bought their latest dress socks. They're distinctly average.
    I'd say below average. This is the issue that inspired my search for new basics. My long term favorites (Smartwool and Jockey) simply started to self destruct after amazingly short periods of time. Is this planned obsolescence? Overseas manufacturing? A drive for a bigger profit margin?

I wore SmartWool exclusively for, gee, at least ten years. I wore them with suits and slacks and khakis and Levis, all year round. Last year I ordered $150 worth of SmartWool to replenish my supply, and they all wore through the heel and ball-of-foot within 3 or 4 months. See-through socks suck, not sexy at all. Based on Vsalon raves, I also ordered a few pair of Vermont Tough socks and they are still going strong. They are more comfortable, too, so I actually wear the more often.

Similar experience with Jockey . . . they self-destruct way too fast. American Apparel briefs, OTOH, are solid - triple stitched seams, quality elastic, perfect material.

So I'm now looking for that perfect dress sock - for suits, slacks, and business wear. If the Vermont Tough socks came in more colors, I'd wear those, but they are missing a good forest green, chestnut brown, and dark khaki.

Anyone wear GoldToe socks?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billrick View Post
    I wore SmartWool exclusively for, gee, at least ten years. I wore them with suits and slacks and khakis and Levis, all year round. Last year I ordered $150 worth of SmartWool to replenish my supply, and they all wore through the heel and ball-of-foot within 3 or 4 months. See-through socks suck, not sexy at all.

Anyone wear GoldToe socks?
    I have had the same experience recently with Smartwool. See-through socks suck and they bug me out in a weird way. So done w/ smartwool.

I have been wearing GoldToe for my formal attire recently and I am pleased with them. They are not jaw-droppingly awesome, so they probably don't live up to true VSalon standards. They work, they're cheap, and I don't think about my socks while I am wearing them which is about all I am looking for in a dress sock really.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AbeNP View Post
    I have had the same experience recently with Smartwool. See-through socks suck and they bug me out in a weird way. So done w/ smartwool.
    There has been a distinct drop in quality with Smartwool socks. To wit: I have Smartwool socks that are probably 8 years old that are still going strong. I also have newer Smartwool socks that are threadbare at the heel and the ball of the foot within a few months of buying them. That's a big drag.

I'm all wool all the time when it comes to socks. For athletic endeavors, I've switched to Swiftwick. The jury is still out on their durability as I just haven't been wearing them that long. But they feel amazing when you've got them on. For everyday wear, I mostly wear all wool ragg socks by Fox River or Wigwam or the like. They're comfy, cozy, feel great with boots. I rarely have to dress up, but for when I do I have a few pairs of wool Corgi socks in some nice patterns that I got on sale. They're niiiice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way, if you're into the coolmax-ish sort of garish cycling socks and haven't discovered the Long's Cycle Grab bag deal - it's kind of fun.

6 pairs of Coolmax socks for under $20, randomly selected pairs:

Long's Cycle Supply - Cycling Apparel at BlowOut Prices: Coolmax Variety 6-Pack of Cycling and Running Socks

I've received some pretty cool designs over the years. Waste Management, Michelin's Bibendum Man, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Dyer View Post
    There has been a distinct drop in quality with Smartwool socks. To wit: I have Smartwool socks that are probably 8 years old that are still going strong. I also have newer Smartwool socks that are threadbare at the heel and the ball of the foot within a few months of buying them. That's a big drag.

I'm all wool all the time when it comes to socks. For athletic endeavors, I've switched to Swiftwick. The jury is still out on their durability as I just haven't been wearing them that long. But they feel amazing when you've got them on. For everyday wear, I mostly wear all wool ragg socks by Fox River or Wigwam or the like. They're comfy, cozy, feel great with boots. I rarely have to dress up, but for when I do I have a few pairs of wool Corgi socks in some nice patterns that I got on sale. They're niiiice.
    I can't say for certain (we'd have to ask Gary Smith), but I believe that around the time you purchased your socks 8 years ago is when Smartwool was subbing out its production to Darn Tough. Just a rebranding. So, if you want the same quality...

PS I have no affiliation/interest/etc. in Darn Tough other than I really appreciate their stuff. I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record. Pretty soon I'm going to sound like another guy around here in re: his Honda Fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fatchanceti View Post
    By the way, if you're into the coolmax-ish sort of garish cycling socks and haven't discovered the Long's Cycle Grab bag deal - it's kind of fun.

6 pairs of Coolmax socks for under $20, randomly selected pairs:

Long's Cycle Supply - Cycling Apparel at BlowOut Prices: Coolmax Variety 6-Pack of Cycling and Running Socks
    Thanks for the lead fatchanceti! Order placed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EddieBirdsell View Post
    I can't say for certain (we'd have to ask Gary Smith), but I believe that around the time you purchased your socks 8 years ago is when Smartwool was subbing out its production to Darn Tough. Just a rebranding. So, if you want the same quality...

PS I have no affiliation/interest/etc. in Darn Tough other than I really appreciate their stuff. I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record. Pretty soon I'm going to sound like another guy around here in re: his Honda Fit.
    Who's this other guy who loves his Honda Fit? I want to share with him...

Darn Tough, huh? Do they make dress socks? All I want is 4 pair of dark brown & 4 pair of black and I'm set for socks.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dhoff View Post
    Thanks for the lead fatchanceti! Order placed
    No problem - let us know which ones you get - some of them are real conversation starters.

FCTi (no affiliation whatsoever with Long's Cycle, just a happy customer)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Under Armor underwear is the only way to go. No binding, no chafing, you can sweat in them for days without getting truckers butt or crotch rot. My junk is too good for cotton, baby!
    "It's better to not know so much than to know so many things that ain't so." -- Josh Billings, 1885

A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just started a new thread. So you guys can talk about something other than your socks.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Undies? Whatever I pull out of the drawer. My wife like to get me strange briefs even though I prefer boxers. I'm currently wearing my black Iron Man undies with red piping. Nice. Tomorrow, it's my Transformers Megatron ones. I think my wife likes how that ride up on my butt and leave half my fuzzy ass check hanging out either side. Is that enough information?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast