Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Basics: Underwear and Socks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Basics: Underwear and Socks

Quote Originally Posted by chasea;I will not rest until someone here gives this stuff a try. [url=http://www.bigelowchemists.com/product_info.php/cPath/712_714/products_id/3906
    Bigelow Chemists : Bigelow Premium Shave Cream 5.1 oz [bpsc] - $10.00USD[/url]
    (end of list)
    Using this on a regular basis. Of course with a 1961 Gillette Fat Boy :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lavi View Post
    I'm currently wearing my black Iron Man undies with red piping. Nice. Tomorrow, it's my Transformers Megatron ones.
    I remember when all of the other neighborhood kids and I first got our superhero Underoos. Batman, Spiderman, Superman, etc. Who did I get? Fcuking Yoda.

They're all running around flying and shit, being all superhero - and I'm Yoda. What am I supposed to do - sit crosslegged in the grass and talk funny to myself?

Traumatic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fatchanceti View Post

They're all running around flying and shit, being all superhero - and I'm Yoda. What am I supposed to do - sit crosslegged in the grass and talk funny to myself?

Traumatic.
    Mmhhhhmmmmm. Patience young one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

these are pretty expensive but are so nice I keep buying them and nothing else.

Devold Wool Boxer Briefs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wool ftw

ive been wearing my icebreaker longjohns and shirts for 5+ years now
    so good

i've probably had to wash them < 20 times

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by amos scattergood View Post
    these are pretty expensive but are so nice I keep buying them and nothing else.

Devold Wool Boxer Briefs
    Bingo. I'm a big fan of icebreaker's merino boxer briefs. The best thing ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought $300 worth of Darn Tough socks to give as Christmas presents. And I expect each recipient to go out and buy more. Supporting those Vermonters!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+17 on the Icebreaker wool briefs. And they're black. :O

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a beautiful thing when something as well-designed and made finds it's way into your life. SWIFTWICK is the _ONLY EVER_ athletic sock I will ever purchase again-so long as they keep up their game. I wore Smartwool for-eva, but Smartwool is worthless next to Swiftwick. Wool or plastic (synthetics yo) SW has it covered. Durability is there, price is appropriate, performance is unparalleled.

In case there has been any confusion: I recommend Swiftwick socks without reservation or compensation.

Fox River makes my boot socks. It's the one with the red and black top (style number 7267, which is 84% wool). WAY better than alltheotherones i've tried over all the years and I'm a WOOL ONLY EVER sock guy too.

I came here (to this thread) to see what i could learn about _BETTER_ under drawers. I see American Apparel nominated, but I must dissent. While they are much better than the dozen-for-a-dollar briefs (and they're domestically produced unlike many things with "American" in the name brand), they don't have much staying power. The elastic goes to crap too quickly atwo. I don't use over-warm wash water and rarely the drying machine-which if used is always on low/less dry. Maybe the UV from the sun while on the line is killing the elastic?

I'll go lookit the other recommended products now. thanks and report at 11.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post

I came here (to this thread) to see what i could learn about _BETTER_ under drawers. I see American Apparel nominated, but I must dissent. While they are much better than the dozen-for-a-dollar briefs (and they're domestically produced unlike many things with "American" in the name brand), they don't have much staying power. The elastic goes to crap too quickly atwo. I don't use over-warm wash water and rarely the drying machine-which if used is always on low/less dry. Maybe the UV from the sun while on the line is killing the elastic?

Wade - Get the ex-Officios. Start with two pair. Seriously, they rock and mine have been extremely durable and comfortable with no signs of letting up. I have a pair of the boxer briefs at the office that I use for running at lunch. A quick rinse and wring-out in the shop sink, hang em up and they are ready to go for the next day's run. I'm cheap, and I hate spending $ on clothes, but no regrets on these.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post
    It's a beautiful thing when something as well-designed and made finds it's way into your life. SWIFTWICK is the _ONLY EVER_ athletic sock I will ever purchase again-so long as they keep up their game. I wore Smartwool for-eva, but Smartwool is worthless next to Swiftwick. Wool or plastic (synthetics yo) SW has it covered. Durability is there, price is appropriate, performance is unparalleled.

In case there has been any confusion: I recommend Swiftwick socks without reservation or compensation.

Fox River makes my boot socks. It's the one with the red and black top (style number 7267, which is 84% wool). WAY better than alltheotherones i've tried over all the years and I'm a WOOL ONLY EVER sock guy too.

I'm right there with ya on Swiftwick. I have 4 pair and I absolutely love them.

I buy AA socks and undies because 1) its a boring subject that I don't really care much about and 2) its pretty much the only place to buy that stuff in my corner of Brooklyn. The elastic does in deed give quickly. I just get more. I'd rather re-up than take the trip.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brooks Brothers merino wool socks are way better than any dress socks I've worn. They're just the right weight and feel great in and out of a shoe. At $18 they're pricey, but get 'em on sale at 50% like I do and you'll never look back.

My day starts with sock selection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My recent find for undershirts: Ribbed Tee. Made in USA.

I'm less than a week into my experience with their Classic Fit Crew, but initial impressions are good. Very soft material, close fit, crew neck is a bit wider than I'm used to but I kinda like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, Moneybagses. These are supposedly the world's finest and most expensive undergarments.

Someone give 'em a try and let us know how the other half loves.

Zimmerli of Switzerland - The World's Finest Men's Underwear

Zimmerli of Switzerland underwear is - quite simply - the World's Finest. Nothing comes remotely close. Yes, people mention Hanro. Hanro "of Switzerland" was formerly an able competitor. Today's Hanro, made in non-Swiss countries, is primarily aimed at the mass market and "old-world quality" is a thing of bygone days. Take it from me. I've been wearing - Zimmerli for more than 30 years. I want mine actually made in Switzerland, not just named "So-and-So of Switzerland".

Why is Zimmerli so darn good? Quite simply, it's made in the time honored tradition of precision and care the Swiss use for their world-famous watches. The Richelieu sleeveless shirt, for example, is produced at a rate of 32 per day on knitting machines which are even older than I - and that's going some! Suffice it to say that we're known for the excellence of the brands we offer. The only underwear brand we carry is Zimmerli of Switzerland.

Source (and an interesting, if not slightly unsettling, read):
    http://www.slate.com/articles/life/s...break_anchor_2
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find Hanro to be better than Zimmerli. I mean, I hear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Underwear is for losers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i went to the Fred's of the interweb - ebay and bought some EX-O's and UA.

The XO's came in nearly overnight-and are great. Will be buying some more of these.

The UA are santering around out there in postal land. Somebuddy gave me some UA short socks a while back. They're probably nice if you don't ask much of your socks, but I wore them once to try them out and have no intention of wearing them again. Used 'em for rags already. Swiftwick has ruined my ability to wear anything but great socks.

I can still slum around in Smartwools...just barely and for non-performance apps.

i walked 1.5 miles on chip/tar/gravel in wool Swiftwicks the other day. socks look fine, feet still smarting.

Pretty sure i'm going to prefer the XO over the UA drawers, stay tuned to this station.

tenderfoot

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

allRIGHTY then, i now feel qualified to address the "new" style of drawers for any of yous guys who haven't made the leap:

The U/A (Cambodia) and EO (china) underwear have fantastic bands, are made of jersey-type material and wear wonderfully. In the "boxer brief" style* it's pretty much like wearing slightly-less-snug riding shorts w/o a chamois (and with a fly). I hope the durability pans out because they are a joy to wear--if you're the sort who wears underclothing.

*the boxer-brief has not been a fave of mine _because_ all i had tried had been of traditional materials and crept around too much. these 6"ers (UA) have been fine-they creep a little but don't bunch up--gotta keep the panties from wadding up yo!

These underwears are just as far ahead of old-fashioned drawers as Swiftwick** is ahead of standard-issue socks. Which, at 20 bucks a pop, is the least i had expected. i bought two more pair of XO briefs already.

**they're not paying me but should.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on edit to above post: all my cotton underwears just became shop rags.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FYI: REI boxers are now made in USA. I don't know who they contracted with but they are really comfy and wick well. I bike 10+ miles to work and don't like changing my underwear twice a day so I wear these all day.

Also, in regards to Darn Tough in black: I ordered ten pairs from here http://www.tacticaldistributors.com/.../?q=darn+tough
    They have a black uniform sock. Very comfortable. A little thick for my cycling shoes, however.

Recently got a couple pairs of black smartwool liner socks and they were flawed out of the package. As if they didn't finish weaving the wool into the spandex. No more smartwool for me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast